• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta - Jarrett Culver

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Interesting Nugget?

The 23-year-old guard inked a two-way deal, the Hawks announced Monday. He joins a team that's expected to be in the middle of the Eastern Conference alongside the Raptors vying to avoid the play-in tournament next season.

At one point this summer it seemed as though Culver was destined to join the Raptors. He was seen wearing Raptors attire at the Rico Hines runs, playing alongside most of Toronto's players. Scottie Barnes even hinted that Culver was set to sign in Toronto while streaming on Twitch.

• Like 3

They got my boy Burd! 2019! I had Cam, Culver, Clarke and Kabengele!

CCCK! We got ☝🏿!

I mean 2 now.. :huh:

Hawks sign Jarrett Culver to two-way contract

i_76_ae_90_jarrett-culver.png?w=190

JD Shaw: The Hawks have signed Jarrett Culver to a two-way contract, the team announced.

via Twitter JShawNBA

Top Ru

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JTB said:

I’m one of the only folks on this board that wanted Culver during that draft…..

good thing I’m not in the front office 😂 

I wanted him in the draft.  In fact, I wanted him over DeAndre Hunter.  Hunter proved to be the better player.  Now the Hawks have both players.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Dejay said:

Wow, I remember folks here wanting to take him with the 6th pick before the Hawks moved up to take Hunter. Now they got Culver for a song.

Uhm, can he play?

He's signing a two way deal three years after being picked 6th.

That should tell you what you need to know about him. He's a body-

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

He's signing a two way deal three years after being picked 6th.

That should tell you what you need to know about him. He's a body-

You can never question a GM trying to find value in a guy that was picked that high (not saying YOU questioned it).  In general, I like moves like this.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Hawkmoor said:

You can never question a GM trying to find value in a guy that was picked that high (not saying YOU questioned it).  In general, I like moves like this.

I get the reason people would be excited, but really how often do these guys turn into anything other then end of the bench guys? We needed some more PG depth so in that sense of course this move makes sense and is fine by me. But it's beyond obvious Culver is not a needle mover and probably never will be. He was abysmal in Minny.

• Premium Member

Unless you thought you could possibly turn Culver into some defensive monster unicorn PG, I never understood the optimism.

To me, that was... and remains... the one way he conceivably could prove worthy of his draft slot. That's what I would hope would be the Schlields vision... send him to College Park to play beside Etienne and Forrest, with all three taking turns at running the team.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I get the reason people would be excited, but really how often do these guys turn into anything other then end of the bench guys? We needed some more PG depth so in that sense of course this move makes sense and is fine by me. But it's beyond obvious Culver is not a needle mover and probably never will be. He was abysmal in Minny.

Right. They rarely do. You might get a year or two in their late 20s that they emerge as 2nd unit material, but that tends to be the ceiling.

If you were looking for more PG depth, it's less certain that Culver is going to get PG minutes even in College Park--though, as I just posted, I would hope they'd try, simply b/c I believe that's the one route to him becoming an asset worthy of a high draft slot.

That said, that's more about developing him than it is filling a void for the team...

2022-09-12_21-01-07.png

This why Culver went so high.  The problem is Culver never developed a 3 point shot in the NBA, shooting under 30%. If he could get to just 35% from 3, he'd be a great pickup. The problem is his 3 pt shot is unnatural compared to his more normal contact, rise and shoot feel.

No player ever needed a shooting coach more, because he's able to play the rest of the game adequately.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Chauncey Billups.

Pat Bev. 

DeAngelo Russell 

Bobby Portis

DeWayne Dedmon

Those are the first few that comes to mind. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, sturt said:

Unless you thought you could possibly turn Culver into some defensive monster unicorn PG, I never understood the optimism.

To me, that was... and remains... the one way he conceivably could prove worthy of his draft slot. That's what I would hope would be the Schlields vision... send him to College Park to play beside Etienne and Forrest, with all three taking turns at running the team.

It's just a shot my friend. 

I think they saw defense.  Good ball passing.   Could be somebody who could work his way up.  They gave him a shot. 

• Like 2