NBA execs diss Trae yet again

Spud2nique

14 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't think the "his team was better without him" is real compelling.  You are talking about a small sample size.  The importance I draw from it is that the team was clearly still very competitive without him.  Doesn't diminish what he did when healthy in my eyes.

What I do get frustrated with Morant is that Trae was better in every conceivable way in the regular season and career to date.  What other than "DDDUUUNNNNKKKK!!!" are people using to rank him above Trae?

On the short-term memory thing, Morant was fantastic in the playoffs so I'm sure that helps him like the Miami series hurts Trae.  Strange to me that teams rate that as being more important than an 82 game regular season (especially given how limited Atlanta was as a team in that series).  

So I'm still high on Morant and think he deserves love but should be clearly behind Trae.

I do think Ja is a better RS player. He just makes a lot better decisions on the ball and he plays with the team, they don't play through him like Atlanta does with Trae.

That said, both are horrible defenders, it's odd seeing how Ja has a better defensive rep considering he's worse as a man defender than Trae but I do understand Trae is the woat overall defender as he's the worst at defending the screen and his team defense is horrendous and non existent whereas his Ja in bearable as a team defender and he doesn't die on screens anywhere near as much as Trae. 

Trae's game just isn't loved by everyone and never will be. He has to be more of a floor general and less of a ball dominator like a new gen Iverson. 

This is definitely recency bias.  After the ECF run he was #2 on lists like this. 

I am telling you if/when we start winning this year, the stories will say Dejounte Murray taught Trae leadership and how to play team ball. Further that Dejounte helped Trae understand the importance of showing up every game and to take the regular season seriously.  Before DM became a partner Trae was a misguided talent who only wanted to put up big stats in the playoffs and didn't understand how to inspire his teammates to bring maximum effort.  Any moment that Trae shows a hint of weakness, it's back to stories like, "This young fella has a lot to learn."

For the record I think Trae, Luka, and maybe Tatum are a tier above the other guys on this list.  I actually really like Ja Morant for the entertainment value, Lamelo and Ant Edwards, too.  

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, AtLaS said:

It's recency bias.  Everyone saw what happened against Miami and are using that to say his size is an issue, and he sucks on defense.  Basically not spending any effort to understand what actually happened.  

He will just have to prove them wrong this year. 

Although I will admit Trae is not easy to build around given his size/lack of defense.  Hopefully he improves on D, lots of guys have.

I do agree with you recency bias...

However, I also believe that if you asked this same group last year, they would have probably had the same type ranking with Trae being close to the bottom.   Trae is always going to have to prove himself and until he gets a chip, many people (even Hawks fans (so they say)) will always say he's too small, not defensive enough, hogs the ball too much, etc. 

I havent' seen a team have to game plan for a star player the way that Miami did since prolly Jordan.. and that's including Steph and Kobe. 

To me.. that speaks volumes about his ability. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I do think Ja is a better RS player. He just makes a lot better decisions on the ball and he plays with the team, they don't play through him like Atlanta does with Trae.

That said, both are horrible defenders, it's odd seeing how Ja has a better defensive rep considering he's worse as a man defender than Trae but I do understand Trae is the woat overall defender as he's the worst at defending the screen and his team defense is horrendous and non existent whereas his Ja in bearable as a team defender and he doesn't die on screens anywhere near as much as Trae. 

Trae's game just isn't loved by everyone and never will be. He has to be more of a floor general and less of a ball dominator like a new gen Iverson. 

What's a RS player?

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I do agree with you recency bias...

However, I also believe that if you asked this same group last year, they would have probably had the same type ranking with Trae being close to the bottom.   Trae is always going to have to prove himself and until he gets a chip, many people (even Hawks fans (so they say)) will always say he's too small, not defensive enough, hogs the ball too much, etc. 

I havent' seen a team have to game plan for a star player the way that Miami did since prolly Jordan.. and that's including Steph and Kobe. 

To me.. that speaks volumes about his ability. 

they did have this same poll in January with the same execs and Trae finished top 5.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, shakes said:

they did have this same poll in January with the same execs and Trae finished top 5.

So top 5, missing Evan Mobley, Scottie Barnes, and Anthony Edwards or was Trae ranked ahead of them?  I guess I'm asking who were ranked where in that poll?  Who passed Trae?

• Premium Member

Let's talk about the particulars of the list...

1.  Neither Tatum, Barnes, Zion, and Maybe Mobley will ever make their teammates better. 

Those guys will always need another star to be able to shine.  I guess you can say the same for Anthony Edwards too.  Position and function will always play a role.   It's like KD vs. Lebron.  KD does a lot of offensive things better than Lebron but Lebron does make people around him better.  

2.  Trae vs. Ja vs. LeMelo.. there is no way that Trae is the lesser of these three. 

3.  Were the executives considering ticket sales?  If so, a guy who dunks and dances  may be better than Trae?? but not a better player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Can we be real about something?  Yes?  Ok then.

Timing is everything in life.  The guy Ant-man picked the worst possible time to make his insensitive statements.  The league is reeling off the wrist-slap they gave a guy who mistreated folks for literally decades.  

They gonna take it out on Edwards to show how tough(sic) they are on crime.

Kinda like how, when the Kentuckys of the world commit murder and go unpunished.  But the NCAA gives the East Michigans of the world the death penalty for minor infractions.

I bet the GM's voted before Edwards' tweets came out.

And I'm not clicking on that list.  I already know it's bowl sh*t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

So top 5, missing Evan Mobley, Scottie Barnes, and Anthony Edwards or was Trae ranked ahead of them?  I guess I'm asking who were ranked where in that poll?  Who passed Trae?

list is in the link Spud posted above, but their top 5 back in January was..

1.  Luka

2.  Tatum

3. Ja

4. Lamelo

5.  Trae

6.  Mobley

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Let's talk about the particulars of the list...

1.  Neither Tatum, Barnes, Zion, and Maybe Mobley will ever make their teammates better. 

Those guys will always need another star to be able to shine.  I guess you can say the same for Anthony Edwards too.  Position and function will always play a role.   It's like KD vs. Lebron.  KD does a lot of offensive things better than Lebron but Lebron does make people around him better.  

2.  Trae vs. Ja vs. LeMelo.. there is no way that Trae is the lesser of these three. 

3.  Were the executives considering ticket sales?  If so, a guy who dunks and dances  may be better than Trae?? but not a better player. 

I don't agree with #1.    I think all those guys make their teammates better, but do it different ways.  Tatum and Zion make their teammates better with their gravity and the attention they command from defenses.   Barnes makes his teammates better through his playmaking and even his defense.   And Mobley definitely helps out his teammates by providing a defensive anchor behind them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shakes said:

I don't agree with #1.    I think all those guys make their teammates better, but do it different ways.  Tatum and Zion make their teammates better with their gravity and the attention they command from defenses.   Barnes makes his teammates better through his playmaking and even his defense.   And Mobley definitely helps out his teammates by providing a defensive anchor behind them.

Gravity means squat if you cant/won't pass it effectively though.  I agree with the general sentiment though.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Can we be real about something?  Yes?  Ok then.

Timing is everything in life.  The guy Ant-man picked the worst possible time to make his insensitive statements.  The league is reeling off the wrist-slap they gave a guy who mistreated folks for literally decades.  

They gonna take it out on Edwards to show how tough(sic) they are on crime.

Kinda like how, when the Kentuckys of the world commit murder and go unpunished.  But the NCAA gives the East Michigans of the world the death penalty for minor infractions.

I bet the GM's voted before Edwards' tweets came out.

And I'm not clicking on that list.  I already know it's bowl sh*t. 

Let's be real.  Kentucky has been banned from the tournament, taken off of TV, and had scholarship restrictions.

UMass plays with Marcus Camby who took money from an agent and get stripped of their title and had to repay the tournament money.

Duke plays with Corey Maggette who took money from an agent and gets no penalty at all.  (The same agent paid a UCLA player and UCLA got penalized).   Affidavits were submitted under oath confirming Zion received over $400k from agents.  No penalty at all.

Georgia ran one fake class for its basketball players which was open to non-basketball players also and was rightly hammered with withdrawal from all post-season play and 4 years of probation.  A total of 3 players were involved.  

UNC runs arguably the broadest academic fraud in NCAA history and gets no penalty at all supposedly because non-basketball players also took the classes.  (Same as Georgia.  Go figure.).  MORE THAN 3,100 UNC athletes were in these fake classes.

If you want to be real, the ACC blue bloods are the ones setting the bar for going unpunished.  Go visit Tobacco Road if you want to see naked NCAA corruption.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AHF said:

If you want to be real, the ACC blue bloods are the ones setting the bar for going unpunished.  Go visit Tobacco Road if you want to see naked NCAA corruption.

Haha, struck a nerve?  You'll get no argument from me that the Duke/UNC nonsense is beyond everything.  But I'll be over here playing a tiny violin while you rundown how tough it is to be a UK fan, brolio.

• Haha 3

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Haha, struck a nerve?  You'll get no argument from me that the Duke/UNC nonsense is beyond everything.  But I'll be over here playing a tiny violin while you rundown how tough it is to be a UK fan, brolio.

Well and saying ACC is overstating since Tech got a year probation because Jarrett Jack gave someone $300.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1