• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA execs diss Trae yet again

Spud2nique

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Well and saying ACC is overstating since Tech got a year probation because Jarrett Jack gave someone $300.  

I said ACC Bluebloods.  Tech doesn't qualify there.  The NCAA goes to ridiculous lengths to protect the ACC Bluebloods, not the schools like Georgia Tech or Pitt or something.

22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Haha, struck a nerve?  You'll get no argument from me that the Duke/UNC nonsense is beyond everything.  But I'll be over here playing a tiny violin while you rundown how tough it is to be a UK fan, brolio.

I don't make a case that it is super tough to be a UK fan.  They have had some of the biggest names in the game coach their team more often than not over the years and nothing matters more to a college program than who is the head coach.  I'm just saying they aren't untouchable.  That was your claim.  I am saying that UNC and Duke are basically untouchable.  No matter how egregious the issue, the NCAA will find a way not to meaningfully punish them (and usually won't even make a token gesture).

And, yes, watching Duke get payments to players that have been proven in court washed under the table pushes my buttons as a sports fan.  And that UNC scandal was the biggest travesty I've ever seen in sports.  I still have no idea how they could punish Georgia and then use a much worse version of the same thing Georgia did to conclude there was nothing wrong in Chapel Hill.  (And Georgia absolutely deserved to be punished; the mere fact that most of the class was non-athletes should not have saved them from the consequences of Harrick's cheating.)

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

The biggest factor is that a lot of these 'writers, experts, etc' have egg on their face regarding Trae. - they still can't get over how wrong they were.  So the slightest crack - it's like 'see I told' without putting everything in proper context.  Add to it that he plays for the Hawks and he was traded for the Golden Boy!  He has EVERY against him.

Even Bill Simmons, with the biggest egg on his face regarding Trae, on his latest podcast....still with this:

Jonathan Tjarks Tribute (Including a 2018 NBA Re-draft) - The Ringer

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Well and saying ACC is overstating since Tech got a year probation because Jarrett Jack gave someone $300.  

In his defense, he was referring to the north Carolina mafia.  They protect those two schools in a shameful fashion.  Even more than KY which makes little sense.  

And I'm pretty sure GT got multiple years of sanctions off that $300 to Wendell Carter who apparently ran and told his mommy GT took him to a *gasp* strip club.  Backstory as to why I'm not a fan of that kid, btw.  But I guess it's a-ok for Duke to commit all-out fraud for them and all their other recruits.  Smh

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, shakes said:

list is in the link Spud posted above, but their top 5 back in January was..

1.  Luka

2.  Tatum

3. Ja

4. Lamelo

5.  Trae

6.  Mobley

It's still interesting that Luka, Ja and Lamelo were ahead of Trae even though tat the time, neither had accomplished what Trae was able to accomplish in the playoffs. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, shakes said:

I don't agree with #1.    I think all those guys make their teammates better, but do it different ways.  Tatum and Zion make their teammates better with their gravity and the attention they command from defenses.   Barnes makes his teammates better through his playmaking and even his defense.   And Mobley definitely helps out his teammates by providing a defensive anchor behind them.

Even if I agreed with you on Gravity...

How is Trae still #9?

Trae has more gravity than Steph Freakin Curry.   Historically, I think Trae's gravity is probably top 3. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, kg01 said:

Gravity means squat if you cant/won't pass it effectively though.  I agree with the general sentiment though.

These guys are both like 3 apg players.  That's what... 6 to 9 points created by their gravity.   I don't think Tatum draws a double so a gravity argument for him doesn't make much sense.   I don't think anybody is strategizing on how to stop Tatum.  He's not consistent enough as a scorer.  As I said, these guys will always need somebody else.   Zion  does get doubled and does draw the defense so gravity makes more sense for him.  But let's see him get through a season. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

f you want to be real, the ACC blue bloods are the ones setting the bar for going unpunished.  Go visit Tobacco Road if you want to see naked NCAA corruption.

Too bad you can't say the same for Wake, Ga Tech, NC State, and Clemson.  If scandal hit their BB Programs, you can be assured that they would get the death penalty. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:29 AM, macdaddy said:

omg.  that whole list is so weird.  But i have a question.  I'm not a Luka hater, the guy is amazing but someone tell me why he's not James Harden.   Harden didn't get this much accolades even in his prime. 

The most interesting thing really..is they have virtually the same impact on the court AND have had very similar career paths thus far. However, somehow Luka is way better when you talk to casual fans. Then when you ask how…it’s 4 rebounds per game (lol)

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 10:39 AM, AtLaS said:

It's recency bias.  Everyone saw what happened against Miami and are using that to say his size is an issue, and he sucks on defense.  Basically not spending any effort to understand what actually happened.  

He will just have to prove them wrong this year. 

Although I will admit Trae is not easy to build around given his size/lack of defense.  Hopefully he improves on D, lots of guys have.

I think it's the opposite. Trae is very easy to build around.  With his elite passing ability, shooters can feast off of Trae. And we've seen how he can make big men valuable.

We just need talent across the board to compete at the higher levels. The elite teams have at least 2 top 30 players in the league. We didn't.  The addition of Dejounte helps big time. Because he's borderline a top 30 player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Even if I agreed with you on Gravity...

How is Trae still #9?

Trae has more gravity than Steph Freakin Curry.   Historically, I think Trae's gravity is probably top 3. 

This isn't even up for debate after Miami double and tripled him at half court for a whole series. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Too bad you can't say the same for Wake, Ga Tech, NC State, and Clemson.  If scandal hit their BB Programs, you can be assured that they would get the death penalty. 

Yeah, not the death penalty but they would get hammered.  What is too bad is not that those programs aren't immune.  It is that the NCAA is transparently willing to overlook even gross rules violations for the bluebloods.  Like the favoritism given to certain players by the refs but on steroids.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think it's the opposite. Trae is very easy to build around.  With his elite passing ability, shooters can feast off of Trae. And we've seen how he can make big men valuable.

We just need talent across the board to compete at the higher levels. The elite teams have at least 2 top 30 players in the league. We didn't.  The addition of Dejounte helps big time. Because he's borderline a top 30 player.

Yeah, I was just thinking about this too.

I was trying to remember all the players that had no other allstars on their team that was able to take their team to the Finals of their Conference. 

1.  Trae (2021) - Trae wasn't an allstar that year. 

2.   Ai (2001) - Deke was an allstar for us but he got them to the finals. 

3. Lebron (2016) 

4.  Pat Ewing (1999) - No Knicks. 

5.  Jason Kidd (2003)

6.  Chris Paul (2021) 

*In recent time, only Trae and Pat Ewing has taken a team with no Allstars to the conference finals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

5th? That’s a slap 👋 in the face I’m sorry. I know the ones above him are good but no. It’s Trae’s time. It’s time to move past sCurry and Lillard. Luka ain’t even a traditional point. Neither is sCurry for that matter.

I don’t like the NBA trying to get rid of the true point guard look. They already got rid of the traditional back to the basket big man and now they want a wing to act as a guard?

JUST LIKE THE SPORT OF BASKETBALL, POSITIONS AINT FOR EVERYBODY ADAM SLIVER. God I hate this guy. He’s such a snake 🐍 it’s not even funny. 

Next thing for Adam Silver: 

We want more made buckets so we are thinking of increasing the size of the hoop.

image.gif.72404224ba501a8b6d2cd2fb91f7c925.gif

• Like 2

Can't lie, IDGAMF about these lists anymore.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me a thousand times ....

Anyhoooo, I bet Cav fans is pissed rn.  Haha, suckers. 

And I've made my feelings known about that Tennessee guard.  I'm just gonna sit back and watch on that one.  Eggsperts out here actin like MEM finna be 83-0. 

• Haha 2