• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta - Vit Krejci

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, sturt said:

He's more of a SG than a PG, though... again, like Micic... but so raw.

And ADay is your third PG, given the stated intention to give DJM minutes at PG.

Forrest... the two-way... is the fourth.

Not confident that Krejci sticks. Then again, I was sure TLC was just a camp hand this time last year.

Not so fast my friend.

I think he will challenge for BU SF.   His offensive potential is really good.   I wonder what his defense looks like?  That's the prob.  He is said to have stiff hips on defense.   Maybe due to ACL tears.   But we have a good rehab team... and he's able to space the floor and play PNR out of the 3.

I think he may stick.   I think he may come in as a BU BU SG but may move over and play BU SF. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If Vit isn't waived, I can see him spending ample time in the GLeague.

I think we may give him some G-League minutes.   If he proves himself there, he will be brought up to challenge for BU SF  spot. 

Holiday/Culver/Vit??

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I think he may stick.

I fear he may stick... I'll give you that much.

B/c if he sticks, it's mostly because the guy who didn't even OKC decided wasn't worth any more of their time (... even though they are openly in a developmental phase fits this front office's desire to play footsie with the tax line...) was cheap enough.

In other words, if he sticks, it's because they're pinching salary cap pennies, preferring to pay the other half of his contract ($780k) than to cut him and absorb that other guaranteed half as sunk cost.

In other words, it will finally bring me to the persuasion of some around here that this owner and his front office are dancing and have been dancing pretty much anytime the topic of tax has been/will be brought up. That's not acceptable at the training camp point of a season, or at least, not to this degree with pretty much all of the season in front of you and being so close to the threshold anyhow.

Circling back, I think we all have a built-in interest to see mainly upside in a player when we first learn he's been welcomed into the family. I'm no different. In this case, as is generally known around here, I've been salivating for more than one deal with OKC and HOU this off-season mainly because they both have too much young talent on their rosters to be accommodated by 15-man rosters, or in the case of Micic, OKC has a mid-career asset that they don't consider that valuable to their own plans.... ie, there's potential value to be had in dealing with one of those teams.

That is to say.... Krejci isn't new to me. I gave him a look months ago. So that initial excitement over a new toy is lacking. It's fine to keep him, but only if you give up on Tyrese Martin already... a team that takes itself serious as a contender can't afford to be devoting 3rd unit roster slots to players who are raw and bring no real NBA experience to the table.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

I fear he may stick... I'll give you that much.

B/c if he sticks, it's mostly because the guy who didn't even OKC decided wasn't worth any more of their time (... even though they are openly in a developmental phase fits this front office's desire to play footsie with the tax line...) was cheap enough.

In other words, if he sticks, it's because they're pinching salary cap pennies, preferring to pay the other half of his contract ($780k) than to cut him and absorb that other guaranteed half as sunk cost.

In other words, it will finally bring me to the persuasion of some around here that this owner and his front office are dancing and have been dancing pretty much anytime the topic of tax has been/will be brought up. That's not acceptable at the training camp point of a season, or at least, not to this degree with pretty much all of the season in front of you and being so close to the threshold anyhow.

Circling back, I think we all have a built-in

That is to say.... Krejci isn't new to me. I gave him a look months ago. So that initial excitement over a new toy is lacking. It's fine to keep him, but only if you give up on Tyrese Martin already... a team that takes itself serious as a contender can't afford to be devoting 3rd unit roster slots to players who are raw and bring no real NBA experience to the table.

OK... He's a tax saver... it only cost us  a 2nd that we were going to stash anyway...

and

We prolly put him in the G-League. 

BUT...

When I watch him play... offensively, he has the game of somebody that can stick. 

moreover, 

if we develop him well in the G-League and he beocmes call up worthy, now he can compete.   If he competes well, his value increases and we can look at using him either as a great BU or a trade piece. 

The big piece here is that we traded 2 unneeded, unuseful pieces for Potential.   Normally, I am totally against potential, however, not when you know where this potential belongs. 

Did you know that Steve Avery, Tom Glavine, and John Smoltz all played in Richmond?

Schuerholz showed us how to use a minor league as a farm system to develop stars.  Different sport, same theory.  You bring em in, you build up their skills and confidence and then you bring them up. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

He's a tax saver

Yes. Well. Actually, his contract is.

Krejci the player is a project. And not just a project, a project so raw that a team that is in the business right now of developing projects thought wasn't worth any more of their time.

And we don't have room on this roster for another project on a big-league contract occupying roster space. We have to have guys proven capable of producing at a replacement-player level... a mere 0.0 VORP... we have to be all-in for these two years that we've got DJM locked in.

When I watch him play... offensively, he has the game of somebody that can stick. 

You've watched him play... are these highlight clips, or are they clips that show all of his stat-inducing plays, including turnovers and misses...?

And probably more to the point... we should take Diesel's scouting to be more meaningful than OKC's where they have a built-in financial investment, but decided the player isn't even worthy of the end of their bench.

Okay.

That's some sour kool aid, and I just won't be drinking that.

if we develop him

Two years ago, we were still in some phase of development mode, so we conceivably had time and roster space for a player like this.

That time is past.

Don't get me wrong... every team has to be developing talent, for sure, but when you're a contender, it's a different thing... just necessary, by virtue of limited roster counts and limited minutes, to be less willing to develop players who come to you with less reason for optimism.

Krejci might be a worthy project for some team still.

Just not ours.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya, we need a vet like Favors or somebody that’s reliable and been around to play an emergency 5 min here and there if needed.

Both of these bigs are theoretically possibly maybe going to be available at a vet minimum price after being cut... and not because they've been injury prone, but there are simply younger higher-ceiling players in front of them on their current teams' rosters.

I'll take either one.

(But there would be competition on the open market, of course... whereas there won't be for Silva. If I'm betting $10, 8 of it is on Silva, 2 on the first player cited below, and none on the second... I don't think he'll actually get to the open market.)

2022-09-28_13-39-19.png

• Premium Member

Vit's highest scoring game of 2022.  7-17 (2-8 from 3) for 16 points in 40 minutes.,

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com

2nd Highest Scoring Game: 4-6 (4-6 from 3) for 12 points in 27 minutes and also had 11 rebounds.

Highest assist game: 8 assists 1 TO

• Thanks 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Two years ago, we were still in some phase of development mode, so we conceivably had time and roster space for a player like this.

That time is past.

Since you were sour with me, let me return the favor...

You obviously don't know how this thing works.   Once you are capped out like we are capped out, the game becomes developing draft and cheap talents and hope to build a player that can "stick" and even replace your maxed out players.... if need be.   There is no past time for developing talent.   Did you work for the Knicks?  I already gave you the Braves Farm reference so that you can relate to how it should be done.   Obviously, that's too far of a bridge to cross for you if you think "the time is past".  I know that my response may get you to create 22 new graphs with very small print.   That's OK... I just hope somewhere you can understand that just because we have good players now doesn't mean that we want to watch them grow old or leave or get injured and we can't find anybody better to replace them except TLC and No-Knox. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Since you were sour with me

Not so fast my friend... 🙂 ... I was only responding to the substance of your reasoning... nothing more than that...

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

There is no past time for developing talent. 

4 hours ago, sturt said:

Don't get me wrong... every team has to be developing talent, for sure, but when you're a contender, it's a different thing... just necessary, by virtue of limited roster counts and limited minutes, to be less willing to develop players who come to you with less reason for optimism.

Krejci might be a worthy project for some team still.

Just not ours.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I already gave you the Braves Farm reference so that you can relate to how it should be done. 

Now c'mon... we both know that in baseball you have a much larger roster to accommodate these things, and an elaborate farm system in support of that.

The NBA allows you 15+2, and then 3 additional slots during training camp which get taken away from you immediately when the season starts... and no elaborate farm system, and in fact, you don't even have exclusive rights to the players that are in College Park except for those 2-way players who probably are there. And even there, you only have those 2-way players for 2 years max... after that, you either have to put them on your major league roster of 15 or let them go elsewhere. So, time is also a factor... baseball, unlike basketball, doesn't force you to carry your best players under contract on your 26 man roster for all those developmental years (often 3-5).

At the risk of seeming sour... we both know this. Thus, there is very little comparison to be had b/c of those major differences.

• Moderators

Fully expected this team to dodge the tax this year so completely unsurprising to me from that end.

A big positive for me is that I see this as a big vote of confidence for JJ. Trading Moe clears space in the front court and gives JJ more security for regular minutes, imo.  

Since I really want to see Jalen get real run this year, I see some addition by subtraction on this deal.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

😂 lol. 

(Preface: Not directed to BirdDirt specifically, but rather a general response... )

I chuckled too, but self-evidently for a different reason. Considered myself "being nice" to not point out that it's when a person feels his/her substance isn't the best ammunition, that s/he grasps for any ad hominem or form of ad hominem to distract from the lack of substance to offer in return.

So, if this the part where I'm supposed to get embarrassed b/c I maybe go an extra mile (on occasion) to support the substance of my opinion... as opposed to just doing the demagogue act as-if Moses coming down the mountain with an opinion that needs no support... um. nah. Not embarrassed.

Those of us (and I'm not alone) who do go that extra mile on occasion are actually the humble ones who think it's important to provide evidence, whether through facts or line of reason or *gasp* graphs/charts, that our opinions are informed, make sense, and stand up to some scrutiny. You shouldn't come to my same conclusion just because I said it... any more than you should come to Jay's same conclusion just because she said it... right?

All I got on that.