• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

7 games to go. Tied after 155 games..

Spud2nique

The Braves and Mets are each 97-58 with each having 7 games remaining.

Mets host the Marlins today while the Braves are in DC to face Sturt gNats.

Then it’s the Mets coming into Atlanta for a 3 game set.

The final 3 games for each squad. Braves in the road at the Marlins and the Mets finish by hosting the aforementioned Sturties gnaties.

@sturt Could you guys please lay down today then give the Mets hell to finish the season? That would be much appreciated.

3F4623B7-6931-4F10-B955-BA35F9787CEF.jpeg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What is this?

Baseball?

Ah yes. I used to enjoy that game.

But then the commissioner consciously chose to make the game decidedly less appealing to those of us for whom strategy is a huge part of why we watch a sporting contest.

I might never return, honestly. There's just not enough athleticism in the game to make it interesting on its own.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

I might never return, honestly. There's just not enough athleticism in the game to make it interesting on its own.

Nah, this has nothing to do with that at all. I think if the gnats were built like the Braves, you would be juuuuuuust fine.

Comon Stu, it’s me. I know you guy. You trying to take your ball 🏀 and go home, or in this case your ⚾️.

That Soto deal never shoulda gone down like that. You can’t come away with CJ Abrams as the main guy I’m sorry. Your GM set the team back for a decade or more.

Just be a Braves fan, it’s fun and easy. :biggrin:

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Aye @Spud2nique, ol' stu is thinking, "Lay down?  Did we ever get up?"  Haha

🤣 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Nah, this has nothing to do with that at all.

Woefully uninformed. Perhaps willfully, but I wouldn't pretend to know.

(Note the date of the post... which actually is about 7 or 8 years later than when I first took up the topic.)

• Moderators

I was adamant against DH too but i gave up on it because baseball changed the way they use pitchers anyway.  I think a compromise rule would be to have the starting pitcher have to bat but once they are out then a DH goes into the pitcher spot.  No pitcher after the starter is going to see the plate anyway and it saves burning all your PHs 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I was adamant against DH too but i gave up on it because baseball changed the way they use pitchers anyway.  I think a compromise rule would be to have the starting pitcher have to bat but once they are out then a DH goes into the pitcher spot.  No pitcher after the starter is going to see the plate anyway and it saves burning all your PHs 

Honestly I’m the same as you guys, I wanted the pitcher to bat, there’s just more strategy to the game for me. In general, I don’t like many rule changes in baseball or basketball. Adam Silver loves change, I don’t love it as much.

Let the pitcher bat. Some say it’s boring but he’s a player in the game and he plays a position in the field. Always been a fan of the NL and never loved the DH. I just don’t like the idea of a dude who hits but doesn’t field. I dunno keep that crap in the AL but they should have kept the pitchers batting in the NL, it was a nice balance between the two leagues.

25 minutes ago, sturt said:

Woefully uninformed. Perhaps willfully, but I wouldn't pretend to know.

(Note the date of the post... which actually is about 7 or 8 years later than when I first took up the topic.)

I dont like the DH either.  @macdaddy poses a good compromise but the ship has sailed on that one.

And ol @Spud2nique is going in a little deep but let's be honest here, you were more than a tad bit obnoxious when the gnats won it.  Turn about is fair play, no? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

you were more than a tad bit obnoxious when the gnats won it.  Turn about is fair play, no? 

THAAAAANKKKKK YOUUUUU!!!! 

Really, that’s for pointing that out otherwise people think I’m a d!ck (all the time)… :er:

As kids everywhere said at one point or another in the 80’s…

HE STARTED IT!!!! :frantics:

Ok I’m done, a bee 🐝 doesn’t spend his time trying to convince a fly that 🍯 is better than 💩. @kg01 run this one by your BIL next time too. :laugh:

✌️ ☮️ 

#gobraves

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

you were more than a tad bit obnoxious when the gnats won it.  Turn about is fair play, no? 

It is indeed. I mean, if you can't be obnoxious when you win the big prize, then what's the point, right? 🙂 Can't waste those bragging rights, as they only last for a few months until the next big prize is decided.

But then.

It's not like I'm obliged to be upset, either, right? If I don't care, then that's my right to not care. And I just don't care. 🙂

Manfred has ruined this game for me. I'm even less interested in it than what I'd thought I would be when the season started. Have watched maybe 5 innings of baseball total for the season, and most of that was watching Soto's first plate appearances w/ SD. It's simply not interesting when managers' decision making has been reduced to filling out a batting order and deciding who pitches. I equate it to the idea of banning all inside running plays in football because of too many short or no-gain results.... it's not exciting enough... but even that is generous because there's still a lot of strategy in that game even if you take away the oftenest-most boring plays.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

they should have kept the pitchers batting in the NL, it was a nice balance between the two leagues.

Technically, Spud, we haven't had a legitimate baseball champion since Charley Finley's Oakland As took 4 of 7 from the Big Red Machine... 1972.

People don't like to think about it at a scientific method kind-of level, but that, after all, is the most fundamental way we mechanize logic, ie by conducting very specific experiments/tests... which in sports equates to games. When the conditions for what you're testing are different, then by definition, you're not actually testing the independent variable, but rather a dependent variable. So, what we've determined every year since 1973 isn't the best team, but which form of the game is more likely to yield a team capable of winning 4 games quicker than from the other form of the game.

Tried to say as much here...

2022-09-28_12-24-29.png

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Technically, Spud, we haven't had a legitimate baseball champion since Charley Finley's Oakland As took 4 of 7 from the Big Red Machine... 1972.

I don’t go that far back sorry. I go as far back as watching Nolan pitch in the astrodome in 85. Well, maybe a couple years further but I was young and I don’t remember too well. Just remember loving on a certain prospect by the name of Ron Gant. Anyways, him and a few special dudes came up in the late 80’s and sparked a decade and a half run by my team.

We may disagree but im kinda old and do really respect 🫡 the old school a lot more than folks think. Just sayin…

Pitchers are position players on the field, why are they not batting? Because it’s not pleasing to the public 👁? That’s lame. I don’t even love the replay rules they slow the game down… to some degree I do like that the right call is made but they still lag on it.

We beat DeGrom and Scherzer back to back nights. Wow. That might be the best back to back wins vs the best 1/2 punch the Braves have faced. Although in 2000 we faced Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling but I don’t think we won back to back in those games I’d have to go back and check.

LETS GO BRAVESSSSSS!!!!!

• Like 1