• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The East - 2022-2023

theheroatl

The vibe I'm getting is the media and NBA fandom seems to think we regressed or the east got drastically better. I'm thinking we are going to surprise a ton of people.

We literally brought someone in the team that fixed our GLARING biggest issue.  

How would you rank the east at this point? I would not trust the Celtics, 76er's, or Nets to be better. The Heat... does Butler have the gas to do it again? Cavs.. I mean yeah they got Donovan but how is he going to affect their team chemistry (ball hog). Chicago without Lonzo again probably and can DeRozan do it again.

Here is my prediction on the All-Star break standings. It could be a massive log-jam from 1-10 but somebody needs to win games and I think we got 2 dogs on our team (Trae & DJ).

1. Bucks
2. Hawks
3. Nets
4. 76ers
5. Celtics
6. Bulls
7. Heat
8. Cavs
9. Raptors
10. Hornets
11. Pacers
12. Pistons
13. Knicks
14. Wizards
15. Magic

• Like 3

I talk about this every year but for the top 8 ish teams in each conference, there are 20-25 games each year where the teams are separated by only a few points going into the 4th quarter. The difference between a 1 and 8 seed is how you performed in those 20+ games.  The Hawks did poorly in that category last year due to injuries, a lack of cohesiveness.  The Celtics (for example) overachieved in this category.

I really think the maturity of Trae, OO, JJ, Hunter and the additions of Holiday, AJ, Kaminsky set us up well to take that next step.  We'll miss relying on Gallo to get us a bucket or some free throws in ISO and we'll miss Kevin but I see us taking a big step forward in those 4th quarter games.

What I don't like is how reliant we are now on the health of Trae and DeJounte.  They are now the engine and we'll go like they go (much like Boston with Brown/Tatum last year).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

the consensus on RGM is that we'll finish around 8th and also be the biggest disappointment in the Eastern Conference.

So in other words things are setting up nicely for the Hawks to have a very nice year.  Completely opposite vibe this pre season than last year when people were picking us top 2 in the East.  

I prefer it this way.  Gonna be fun watching RGM have a collective seizure if the Hawks do well.

• Like 3

If healthy, and this is always a big if, this Hawk team has no glaring weakness.  Sure, we would be kinda thin in places with major injuries to some of our players.  Every NBA team can truthfully say this.  With the exceptions of Capela, all of the players on our roster could probably play more than one position.  Having added new players, some of us tend to forget one or two of them.

When we get to see this new Hawk team in pre-season we may need a roster list, with numbers, to keep up with who is on the floor.  That excitement comes this week !!

👩‍🔧

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 10/1/2022 at 9:36 AM, shakes said:

the consensus on RGM is that we'll finish around 8th and also be the biggest disappointment in the Eastern Conference.

So in other words things are setting up nicely for the Hawks to have a very nice year.  Completely opposite vibe this pre season than last year when people were picking us top 2 in the East.  

I prefer it this way.  Gonna be fun watching RGM have a collective seizure WHEN the Hawks do well.

Me to - I prefer when we are underestimated, and I fixed that last sentence for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

I think a lot of what's missed is who was missed. 

Heat  lossed PJ Tucker... Tough losing the old man. 

Brooklyn was never healthy. 

The 76ers are healthy now and Harden is not as bad as he has looked.. Plus they got PJ Tucker. 

The Celtics loss their coach, but I think he's still going to be coaching. 

The Knicks will probably be better than expected. 

The Bucks ain't really do anything this offseason.   Greek Freak is who he is but... 

What's Spyda doing in Cleveland. 

I can see it like this:

1.  Hawks

2. Bucks

3.  76ers 

4.  Nets

5.   Celtics

6.  Cavs 

7.  Heat 

8.  Raptors 

9.  Bulls 

10  Wizards 

I just watched the 76ers play the Nets last night.   Saw Simmons, Kyrie, and KD on the floor together.   They are formidable but  the 76ers tore them out of the frame.   Perimeter defense is bad in Brooklyn.   However, with KD and Kyrie, you can't stop the scoring.   I caught some West coast action the other day.. This season is going to be something.  There will be some major move that happens that will effect any preseason ranking in the east.  Likely, somebody like Ayton bringing his talents east.   In another thread, I talked about what would happen if he were traded to the heat.. say Herro, Yurtseven, and a gang of picks for Ayton.. or something.  More likely an apple for apples deal with Chicago.  I also think somebody like Crowder would end up coming East too. 

Finally, don't know what to expect out of Toronto.  I watched a little of their game on this weekend.  Their thing is simple... rebound, fast break, easy buckets.   They are not that talented.   Although they can nail the open three.  They have good defensive goons, they rebound well, and they have three point shooters.   If they could get somebody like a Crowder, he'd be a very good fit. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'll break it up into talent vs coaching

Most talented teams

1) Celtics

2) Nets

3) Hawks

4) Philly

5) Detroit?

Best player

1) Nets

2) Milwaukee

3) Philly

4) Hawks

5) Celtics/Miami

Deepest teams

1) Celtics

2) Hawks

3) Nets

4) Philly

5) Toronto

Best coaching staff

1) Miami

2) Toronto

3) Milwaukee

4) Hawks

5) Celtics? with an emphasis on staff

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm not a KD hater has much as most around here but to me Giannis is the best player in the east.   If i'm choosing between him and KD to be my only star on the team i'm choosing Giannis.  

I don't agree with the depth but discussed that ad nauseum at this point.  we should revisit in December

• Like 1

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not a KD hater has much as most around here but to me Giannis is the best player in the east.   If i'm choosing between him and KD to be my only star on the team i'm choosing Giannis.  

I don't agree with the depth but discussed that ad nauseum at this point.  we should revisit in December

It's an interesting call.  I just think it's KD's age.  KD is definitely far more talented than Giannis but KD is not as athletic or durable (right now).   He is not injury prone just can't carry a team like he used to.. whereas Giannis can.  I doubt that you'll ever seen shooting percentages from Giannis that you have seen from KD...especially not midrange and from three... but until they can stop Giannis from getting to the basket, he will be a freak.   The wall works on Giannis if you have the right players so in that KD has an advantage because there are very little things that have ever worked on him. 

Defensively, Giannis is a touch better because of athleticism. 

It's splitting hairs until we know what type of shape that KD is in and he just may be shipped off.   I can see the KD for Ayton move making some since but right now Brown give BKN reason to be hesitant.   They are getting good enough play from their center position with a young C. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

The wall works on Giannis if you have the right players so in that KD has an advantage because there are very little things that have ever worked on him. 

Even though KD put a huge scoring game on the Hawks last year, we ultimately stopped it by doubling him early and he was terrible at finding an outlet.  And the outlet usually couldn't do anything.   But you're right it's mainly age at this point.  I'd definitely take prime KD.   

• Like 1