• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This is a lot bigger than it looks...Tulsi Gabbard leaves the Democrat Party

thecampster

• Premium Member

Needs more context. 

Just a stump speech without context.  How are we being "dragged" towards Nuclear War?  That statement in itself suggests that our country is playing the bigger part of creating nuclear war. 

Context. 

On 10/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, macdaddy said:

Everyone knew this was coming for years.  Just trying to be relevant and make a career.   

On 10/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, Diesel said:

Needs more context. 

Just a stump speech without context.  How are we being "dragged" towards Nuclear War?  That statement in itself suggests that our country is playing the bigger part of creating nuclear war. 

Context. 

Here, she goes into more detail on the Joe Rogan Experience.  Multiple videos on multiple topics. This is on her leaving.

• Moderators

Ok I'll bite.  

Why do you think her leaving the party is significant?

Do you see any irony in her saying the Democratic Party is "cult like" ?

Also, I don't understand this obsession with transgender people in politics.   Despite the assertion here that it's screwing "normal" people out of opportunities, we are talking about an incredibly small number of instances where anything like this is actually happening.  

Another example.  It happens all the time.  Switching sides and name calling.  A case of the pot calling the kettle black.  Both sides are guilty.  

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 1:11 PM, macdaddy said:

Ok I'll bite.  

Why do you think her leaving the party is significant?

Do you see any irony in her saying the Democratic Party is "cult like" ?

Also, I don't understand this obsession with transgender people in politics.   Despite the assertion here that it's screwing "normal" people out of opportunities, we are talking about an incredibly small number of instances where anything like this is actually happening.  

1. She has a following. It's a few percent, but most elections are only separated by that few percent.

2. She's echoing what I'm hearing from centrists on both sides of the aisle. Republican centrist are fed up with the extremes. So are Democrat centrists.  That she did it so close to election day I think is planned. I am wondering what was going on in the background for her to take this approach. The timing of the announcement tells me there is more too it...be it negotiations gone askew (maybe no place in a Biden cabinet) or some other political / personal gambit.

3. Dems do this far less often than Reps. You don't see it often from that side to middle. You do see Republicans stretch to the middle to try and save a seat.  

We'll never really know if it had an impact but I have seen articles recently about Dems reshuffling priorities, dropping climate down the list on their campaign sites, things like that. 

My biggest "hmm" moment is I'm wondering if this is signaling an exhaustion at the extremes and a move back to centrist politics for all.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

1. She has a following. It's a few percent, but most elections are only separated by that few percent.

2. She's echoing what I'm hearing from centrists on both sides of the aisle. Republican centrist are fed up with the extremes. So are Democrat centrists.  That she did it so close to election day I think is planned. I am wondering what was going on in the background for her to take this approach. The timing of the announcement tells me there is more too it...be it negotiations gone askew (maybe no place in a Biden cabinet) or some other political / personal gambit.

3. Dems do this far less often than Reps. You don't see it often from that side to middle. You do see Republicans stretch to the middle to try and save a seat.  

We'll never really know if it had an impact but I have seen articles recently about Dems reshuffling priorities, dropping climate down the list on their campaign sites, things like that. 

My biggest "hmm" moment is I'm wondering if this is signaling an exhaustion at the extremes and a move back to centrist politics for all.

That's fair but i just think most folks don't even know who she is.   Her reasons for leaving the party, "wokeness and anti-white racism" are weird to me.   That's a hugely vague generalization to level and just seems like she's jumping on some kind of cultural backlash bandwagon.  

I don't have any ill feelings towards her.  Seems like her life has been spent trying to do good things.  But she's now primarily a 'political commentator' and getting most of her work in conservative circles.  So this just seems like a career move more than anything. 

This is a big deal. Tulsi isn't just some random Democrat politician. She was a representative in the House, a former Presidential candidate, and even a Vice Chair on the DNC.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, macdaddy said:

Everyone knew this was coming for years.  Just trying to be relevant and make a career.   

She switched to being an Independent to make a career? If she switched to being a Republican I would maybe bite on this, but switching from a D to an I doesn't really scream "career saving" move to me. 

It sounds more like someone who has become alienated from their own party as Dems shift further and further to the left. 

• Moderators
On 10/25/2022 at 9:21 AM, ShooterSays said:

This is a big deal. Tulsi isn't just some random Democrat politician. She was a representative in the House, a former Presidential candidate, and even a Vice Chair on the DNC.

She switched to being an Independent to make a career? If she switched to being a Republican I would maybe bite on this, but switching from a D to an I doesn't really scream "career saving" move to me. 

It sounds more like someone who has become alienated from their own party as Dems shift further and further to the left. 

Her career is as a pundit on conservative media.   Her political career is over.  

She accused the party of being "“an elitist cabal of warmongers driven by cowardly wokeness.” yet she backed both Clinton and Biden.   So did the party change?  Biden is still president.   What war are democrats mongering?