• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

First Hawks Game?

Alf

Just curious and to take our minds off the disaster last night lol, wondering what was all my fellow Squawker's first time seeing our favorite team in person?

As I put in my first post here, before Charlotte moved to New Orleans, I was essentially a Hornets fan but as soon as they became the Bobcats I couldn't do it anymore.Not just the name change, but the organization in general, started watching the Hawks and have been on board ever since and actually the home games I did see the Hornets play none were against the Hawks.

Anyway, to the point of the thread:

My first time seeing us play at home was in the 2006/07 season at home versus the Clippers. It worked out that a friend of mine was getting married in Savannah just the day before we played at home so after the wedding my brother and I went and stayed the night in Atlanta and then went to the game the next day. Not a great start as on our way to the arena, one of our tires blew,so had our car towed away to a tire shop and telling them we would pick it up the next day, we had to take a cab to the game. Putting that out of our mind as best we could, we had a great time, though my brother did get got shot down by a hot chick sitting near us:sad:

Anyway, we won 86-74 with a very good game by Johnson and Pachulia(And my fellow Tar Heel Marvin contributed nicely also), got our car the next day, and headed home in good spirits.

• Like 4

My first game was before the Omni was built.  I was just a kid and had not gotten interested in basketball all that much yet.  Back then we played in GA Tech's Alexander Memorial Colosseum (I I think it is called something else now.). Whenever Walt Bellamy  would score they would ting a bell in the arena. I remember Walt Hazzard.  I would like to say I remember Lou Hudson, but I don't really. On the other team, I think I  remember Tom Boerwinkle, so the game was rprobably against Chicago.  I would guess the game took place in 1969 .  I went with my two older brothers and it was a lot of fun.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 2

I think my first game up there was a close loss to NY,  I think Joe was a decoy or double teamed, but marvelous missed the shot. Lol

It's good to feel the atmosphere,  but if you're high up,  you're likely just watching the jumbotron,  we have a screen at home.

One thing  I'll do is sometimes go the restroom or concessions under 2 minutes  before half and beat the crowd. 

• Like 3

I moved to Atlanta from Chicago in the fall of 1977 and started following the Hawks.  First game I went to was January 19, 1978 which was against Chicago (I had to look up the date just now).  
I do remember a few games in particular that I attended (before moving back to Chicago in 2008).  
First was another game against the Bulls, and Michael Jordan dove for a ball going out of bounds and wound up sitting on my lap (I used to get courtside seats from a friend who was the owner of Coca-Cola Bottling at the time, Arthur Montgomery).  Jordan asked me if he could rest there for a bit, smiled, and ran back onto the court.
Another game was against Phoenix when Steve Nash was playing with them.  My son (Steven) was a big Nash fan for a variety of reasons.  We again had courtside seats and Nash saw my son wearing his Steve Nash jersey and came over and talked to him.  My young son had longish hair (because of Nash's longish hair back then).  I told Nash my son's name was Steven too.  Nash invited him onto the court and they both shots baskets while Nash was warming up before the game.  Very nice of him.  Made my son's year!
Last memorable game was when I again had courtside seats and invited three friends to join me.  One canceled at the last minute so I was trying to give away the last ticket outside the arena.  The cops told me I couldn't do that so I just gave it to them.  About 20 minutes later, I'm sitting with my friends and we're next to Ted Turner, right at center court.  We left the vacant seat next to him, trying to be polite.  All of a sudden my jaw dropped as I saw a woman walking our way.  She had tall stiletto heels, a big blonde wig, a fake fur coat, super long fingernails, and TONS of make-up on.  Pretty sure she was a hooker.  Sure enough, the cops had given the ticket to her!!  She proceeds to walk up to our empty seat and looked at Ted and said "I guess I'm sitting next to you."  Turner stood up and said "You certainly are young lady!"  They talked the whole night away.  It was hilarious!