Official Game Thread: heat at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I agree on Bogie.  He's the single most impactful addition to this team.  Assuming he's ever actually added.  And to this point, we've got nada in the way of expectations that he'll be healthy anytime soon.  

I just disagree that regression to the mean for the majority of our players regarding perimeter shots is any significant hope. For one, it would require ALL OF THEM to improve which seems like a big ask; and two, it also doesn't happen in a vacuum so it's just as likely other guys like JC, DJ, Big O, and Clint could regress some on their 2pt shots (which we've already seen teams crowd the lane and make it harder for guys to get easy shots). 

Here's what sticks in my craw...we've got the bulk of the team shooting poorly (27th in eFG and 26th in TS%) while also attempting the 2nd fewest 3 pointers in the NBA.  My eyeballs tell me it's the whole offense, not JUST the perimeter shooting.  Whether it's spacing or system or whatever, something is broken and I just have a hard time imagining that 5 guys increasing their 3pt makes by a combined 1.5 per game is going to solve it.  

I'm not saying it is a total solution to our offensive challenges.  It is just an area that could see a significant improvement from what we've seen so far.  System issues to me are a combination of personnel and coaching and simply improved performance doesn't change the issues that are a product of system design.

4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I would’ve never dreamed of drafting Trae nor remained in a GM role where the owner made the decision but if I inherited him letting him walk would’ve been easy as pie.  Before that he would’ve been traded as soon as Adam Silver could say “and the Hawks draft Tyrese Haliburton from Iowa State.”  

His shooting, assist, steals, and positioning versatility ceiling was quite easy to see in his college numbers and evaluation.    He was 20 points above his teams offesnive rating and 2 points below its defesnive.  I could look at Trae’s college ratings and tell he was most likely fraudulent.  5 over Oklamhom’s offense and 2 under its defense.

Pay attention to 100 possession ratings people.

Ressler Gotta sell them tickets to the young fans.. They love nutmegs, long bombs, fancy passing and dribbling.. Defense is optional with most of the younger generation....And All Ressler cares about is $ obviously(see Kevin trade)...

With that said, Trae is a great offensive player when hes on.. But when he isnt(which is ALOT this season) he's damn near a detriment..Even with all of the "assists".. Its just so damn hard to build around a guy with his size and limitations.. I could understand if he had a crazy wingspan or athleticism like Ja but he doesnt.. That was my issue when we took him..  We gotta get the right coach in here to get the most out of him because hes our guy for now like it or not... Nate aint it..

And Schlenk aint helping him out much at all, with all of these bad draft picks, contracts, and trades.. smfh

Edited by terrell

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Hawks lost too much shooting

Trae/Bogi/Huerter > Trae/DJM/Hunter fit wise.. DJM and especially Dre are ball stoppers.. Not a good fit with JC and CC who cant dribble or pass...

Thats the problem offensively..  

We may be better on D, but Id rather stick to bein g a top 3 offense..

We're never going to be a great defensive team with Trae on the floor. But we can be a top offense every year.. Taking the ball out his hands for a not so good offensive player like Murray was a mistake imo.. 

We shouldve went after Mitchell instead if that was the case...But of course we traded for Murray just a few days before Mitchell became available.. That's so Atlanta...

Last year, that 11-9 had them 3rd in offense, 23rd in defense, 7th net. They finished 2nd offense, 26th defense, 14th net. (That of course factored in a 12 game stretch when they got destroyed by Covid.)

So far this year they are 19th offense, 14th defense, 20th net. They have been outscored on the season.

In their last 15 games since the schedule got real, we are 7-8, 28th offense, 16th defense, 22nd net.

It would be optimistic to look at those numbers and project a top 6 seed.

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Since it appears it needs said once more...

25 game pledge. STILL intact.

No conclusions being made. Observations only.

My commenting on the one certain aspect of our current roster's construction is just that... and would be a comment offered whether this team had won all 20 games or lost all 20 games or anything in-between.

57 minutes ago, terrell said:

Trae/Bogi/Huerter > Trae/DJM/Hunter fit wise.. DJM and especially Dre are ball stoppers.. Not a good fit with JC and CC who cant dribble or pass...

Thats the problem offensively..  

We may be better on D, but Id rather stick to bein g a top 3 offense..

We're never going to be a great defensive team with Trae on the floor. But we can be a top offense every year.. Taking the ball out his hands for a not so good offensive player like Murray was a mistake imo.. 

We shouldve went after Mitchell instead if that was the case...But of course we traded for Murray just a few days before Mitchell became available.. That's so Atlanta...

Last year, that 11-9 had them 3rd in offense, 23rd in defense, 7th net. They finished 2nd offense, 26th defense, 14th net. (That of course factored in a 12 game stretch when they got destroyed by Covid.)

So far this year they are 19th offense, 14th defense, 20th net. They have been outscored on the season.

In their last 15 games since the schedule got real, we are 7-8, 28th offense, 16th defense, 22nd net.

It would be optimistic to look at those numbers and project a top 6 seed.

Hunter don't ball stop as much as he did last year which was problematic but he's a ball stopper. As is Murray. Murray to a lesser degree but it seems like all of guards and wings just pound the damn rock. Even Aaron.

Mitchell price tag was extreme though. Murray was a better cost value. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Sad 1