• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Prayers for Bob Rathbun

smoove31210

8 hours ago, Watchman said:

I have seen the clip.  He appeared to be having seizures.  That happened to me a couple years ago, out of the blue, with no prior history.  Praying for you Bob.

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/what_causes_convulsive_syncope/article_em.htm#:~:text=Syncope refers to fainting or,muscle twitching (myoclonic activity).

Tonic syncope is when you lose consciousness due to activity.  Convulsive is when it's accompanied with the rigid muscle twitching you saw from Bob last night.  Without going into details, this is something I know about. It can be brought on by a number of things but it all relates to a depressurization of blood expected to the brain.

I knew someone who this would happen to if they stood up too fast, had a sudden stop in activity, etc.  The heart is supposed to receive the signal to start or slow pumping of blood but reacts slowly to the activity.  Basically, you go from awake to asleep without warning and your body is still processing the movement signals without conscious direction so it jumbles them.

It is often mistaken for a seizure or pseudo-seizure (look this one up if you're bored today).

Edited by thecampster
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member

ugh, hate to see that.   And there's no way that was from dehydration.   Same crap they tried saying happened to me when I passed out playing hockey because my heart valve closed up.  ER doc said it was dehydration and i told her that was highly unlikely as  I had a known heart condition.   Ended up getting a new valve put in a month later.

Hopefully Bob is ok.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Watchman said:

I have seen the clip.  He appeared to be having seizures.  That happened to me a couple years ago, out of the blue, with no prior history.  Praying for you Bob.

Same for me actually. It looked like a Tonic Clonic seizure. That would check out with him regaining consciousness. While ER says it's dehydration, which can trigger a seizure, I would imagine he'll have other tests completed by a neurologist.  

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, shakes said:

ugh, hate to see that.   And there's no way that was from dehydration.   Same crap they tried saying happened to me when I passed out playing hockey because my heart valve closed up.  ER doc said it was dehydration and i told her that was highly unlikely as  I had a known heart condition.   Ended up getting a new valve put in a month later.

Hopefully Bob is ok.

ER Docs are really only there to get people in stable condition. It takes the person following up with other doctors after to find a real reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

A real shock.  I watched it, live.  Prayer for a speedy recovery.

🥲

Prayers. Hope our guy is ok. So it was on air? Was it in the pre game show? I get the NBA package so I don’t get those pre game coverage.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Prayers. Hope our guy is ok. So it was on air? Was it in the pre game show? I get the NBA package so I don’t get those pre game coverage.

yeah it was pregame because BO was already filling in when the 730 broadcast started.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/what_causes_convulsive_syncope/article_em.htm#:~:text=Syncope refers to fainting or,muscle twitching (myoclonic activity).

Tonic syncope is when you lose consciousness due to activity.  Convulsive is when it's accompanied with the rigid muscle twitching you saw from Bob last night.  Without going into details, this is something I know about. It can be brought on by a number of things but it all relates to a depressurization of blood expected to the brain.

I knew someone who this would happen to if they stood up too fast, had a sudden stop in activity, etc.  The heart is supposed to receive the signal to start or slow pumping of blood but reacts slowly to the activity.  Basically, you go from awake to asleep without warning and your body is still processing the movement signals without conscious direction so it jumbles them.

It is often mistaken for a seizure or pseudo-seizure (look this one up if you're bored today).

Thanks for the info.  Mine was due to disintegration of bone above my nose, (no telling how many times my nose was broken in my younger years) which allowed for the formation of encepheloceles, and I had the seizures as a result of increased cerebral-spinal fluid pressure.  Apparently it had been high many times before, but I was not aware of it.  Two years ago were the first and only seizures I ever had as a result of it.  I had surgery a couple of months later up through my nasal passage.  They could only get to one side because of the extent of bone damage and disintegration.  A few days after I went home, I had to go back, and spent a week in the hospital due to a brain infection (ventriculitis) resulting from the surgery.  Now I take a pharmacy worth of medicines every day to prevent seizures and keep the cerebral-spinal fluid pressure low.  I have really bad balance issues and I can't think of words and names (my memory used to be my strong suit.)  I see kids playing basketball and think, "I wonder if they'd let me join their game", then I realize I'd probably fall the first time I made one of my dynamic 2 inch vertical leaps.  (When I was a teenager and young man, I was like third string on church league teams as it was.  Terrell would have loved me, as I was a bad dribbler, just like his favorite player, John Collins.  I did have a decent jump hook though.)

• Sad 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Watchman said:

no telling how many times my nose was broken in my younger years) which allowed for the formation of encepheloceles, and I had the seizures as a result of increased cerebral-spinal fluid pressure. 

Damn, all those ass whippings had a deleterious effect.  I say you sue your bullies!!  jk...

😁

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Terrell would have loved me, as I was a bad dribbler, just like his favorite player, John Collins.  I did have a decent jump hook though.)

We should consider a squawk tournament 🏟️🏀 
Ages 50+

and others leagues… 😶 

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Sothron said:

He started having what looks like either a heart attack or a stroke on live television. It was absolutely frightening. I thought I had a heart attack myself earlier today but I'm still here to bother the rest of you.

Praying for Bob. They came back from commercial to say Bob was alert and was ok so I'm guessing he's on the way to a hospital to get checked out.

Wow. I didn’t see the game yet. Man I hope Bob is ok. Love that guy. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Damn, all those ass whippings had a deleterious effect.  I say you sue your bullies!!  jk...

😁

Unfortunately, you can't sue yourself!!!  I did it twice to myself in car wrecks, not wearing a seat belt (after that last one, I learned my lesson.) I think one of my brothers inadvertently did it one time when I was little (he was laying in the floor looking under a chest of drawers, so I bent down to see what he was looking at.  He didn't know I was there and dropped his foot right on my nose.  Another time, playing in a church softball league, I was playing right field and the center fielder and I were both going after the same ball, and hit each other head on.  He got knocked unconscious, and I probably got my nose broken, but didn't have it looked at by a doc.  In another softball game, I was playing first base, and this huge guy hit the top of the ball, so it rolled just a few feet out in front of the plate.  The catcher jumped up and threw the ball to me.  However, this guy was so huge, when he would take a step, his head would bob from side to side, and he totally blocked my view of the ball.  One time his head bobbed toward the infield, and there was the ball, which hit me right in the nose!  Last but not least, in a church league basketball practice game, one of our associate pastors got a little aggressive in securing a rebound, and did the old elbow swing to clear the rebound and hit me right in the nose.  No wonder those bones disintegrated!

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Unfortunately, you can't sue yourself!!!  I did it twice to myself in car wrecks, not wearing a seat belt (after that last one, I learned my lesson.) I think one of my brothers inadvertently did it one time when I was little (he was laying in the floor looking under a chest of drawers, so I bent down to see what he was looking at.  He didn't know I was there and dropped his foot right on my nose.  Another time, playing in a church softball league, I was playing right field and the center fielder and I were both going after the same ball, and hit each other head on.  He got knocked unconscious, and I probably got my nose broken, but didn't have it looked at by a doc.  In another softball game, I was playing first base, and this huge guy hit the top of the ball, so it rolled just a few feet out in front of the plate.  The catcher jumped up and threw the ball to me.  However, this guy was so huge, when he would take a step, his head would bob from side to side, and he totally blocked my view of the ball.  One time his head bobbed toward the infield, and there was the ball, which hit me right in the nose!  Last but not least, in a church league basketball practice game, one of our associate pastors got a little aggressive in securing a rebound, and did the old elbow swing to clear the rebound and hit me right in the nose.  No wonder those bones disintegrated!

Not the preacher!!

Watchman, I meant no harm nor did I want to bring up any bad memories... seriously.  I just try to bring a little levity to this situation with Bob (In this thread).   I didn't realize it until I saw Bob almost die in front of me on TV.. that even though he doesn't come here to HS (I guess), he's part of the Hawks family.  And it's hard thinking about the mortality of "family".   Felt that same way when Nique had COVID. 

But dang man... we got to get you that Rip Halmilton!

Nose Face Protector Guard Helmet Basketball Mask Face Shield Protective |  eBay

• Like 2

Just now, Diesel said:

Not the preacher!!

Watchman, I meant no harm nor did I want to bring up any bad memories... seriously.  I just try to bring a little levity to this situation with Bob (In this thread).   I didn't realize it until I saw Bob almost die in front of me on TV.. that even though he doesn't come here to HS (I guess), he's part of the Hawks family.  And it's hard thinking about the mortality of "family".   Felt that same way when Nique had COVID. 

But dang man... we got to get you that Rip Halmilton!

Nose Face Protector Guard Helmet Basketball Mask Face Shield Protective |  eBay

No offense taken.  It's really a comedy of errors in a way.  I think the mask would be too little too late though!  Yes, I'm glad Bob is getting to go home today.  I hope everything works out well for him.

• Like 1