Trade Deadline 2023: February 9th.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

36 Days to the trade deadline.

January 5th - Teams can sign players to 10 day contracts

January 10th - The contracts of Martin ($1 mil).and Vit ($1.5 mil) become fully guaranteed for the rest of the season.

Hawks are currently $1.7 million below the tax line. (Reminder that DJ and CC have likely incentives that get us close to the tax line).

Hawks have 2 trade exceptions $3.6 mil (Huerter) and $4.5 mil (Harkless) they can use to trade for a player on a 1 year contract. [Cannot be combined]

Expiring contracts:

JHol (6.2), Frank (2.4), AHol (1.9).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I have to think that we're not going to be making any hasty trades this season knowing our head coach is about to be out sooner than later. 

Also, we're only in Trae's first year in his 5 year deal, I keep telling myself to have perspective and temper my expectations for this team since its clear though we have a contender level roster worth of players, we desperately lack the offensive system and buy in from everyone to consistently play at a hard enough level required to make a deep run in the playoffs.

At most this trade deadline I'd hope to see J Holiday outta here so Nate can stop playing him over the rooks. We have cheap talent that can help us win games + be developed at the same time, and them sitting on the bench so Nate can try to squeeze out wins doesn't really float my boat.

Wonder what value J-Holiday + 2nd rp can net, it'll be addition by subtraction but then also addition if we get someone neutral-positive back.

Again, want to say sorry to @sturt for saying Justin Holiday and Jae Crowder were similar level impact players 😭

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's way too early for this thread. Ain't no one Making trades yet

The door is open.  Whether anyone walks thru is the question.  

Talk is cheap.  Right now, only talk.  Just waiting for that 1st move.  It may be many days away.  It could happen soon.  No fire.  But, we begin to smell smoke!

😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Have the Hawks ever made a big mid-season trade to improve or shake things up for the better? (meaning - not a tank trade)

It's always been smaller peripheral trades like Rondo/Lou.

I'm scouring teams for a trade involving JHol ($6.2 mil) and Frank K ($2.4 mil). (I have an idea, will post later)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Have the Hawks ever made a big mid-season trade to improve or shake things up for the better? (meaning - not a tank trade)

I'm scouring teams for a trade involving JHol ($6.2 mil) and Frank K ($2.4 mil). (I have an idea, will post later)

Do you mean a big trade that was intended to shake things up for the better or that actually did?  By the simpler definition of "not a tank trade" the Nique trade has to qualify.  :sad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Do you mean a big trade that was intended to shake things up for the better or that actually did?  By the simpler definition of "not a tank trade" the Nique trade has to qualify.  :sad:

I thought about the Nique trade and got sad again. 

I meant a big trade to shake things up for the better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I thought about the Nique trade and got sad again. 

I meant a big trade to shake things up for the better.

It makes all of us sad.  In our best season as the #1 seed in the East with Jordan on hiatus and we had to **** it up.  Sigh...   While a bonehead move, I do think it was done with the intent of enhancing our ability to compete that year and in future years but what a mistake.

As far as actual midseason moves, the point is on the money.  We have a remarkable record for not being involved in any consequential mis-season trades.  Hopefully we will get it right if we pull the trigger this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Frank/JHol for Towns.

I'll hang up and listen.....

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DS5 said:

SA immediately waived Vonleh. I’d take either him or Gorgui over Kaminski. 

Shouldve just kept Jock Landale...

If Capela stays out a while, Nate’s not going to be able to keep running JC & OO for 40 minutes a night.

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ya. For a guy that coined the phrase:

Both teams played hard my man! 

8C722A1E-1B42-4C68-80E2-50BD3FC4A200.jpeg

• Haha 1