• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Deadline 2023: February 9th.

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:
One Eastern Conference executive shared with Heavy Sports where things stand with Atlanta and Collins and the likelihood that the Nets would be able to get a deal done for the sixth-year forward.  “What you are seeing with Collins now is that the Hawks want him to be treated like an All-Star, they want a big-time return for Collins—not quite like the Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell trades, but something in that neighborhood. And everyone else looks at him like he’s a guy who is owed $100 million over the next four years and is having the worst year of his career. The Nets can build a package around Joe Harris to make the money match, and add in Royce O’Neale and Cam Thomas.

The Hawks would want someone more like Ben Simmons back, and maybe more. The Nets are looking to go for it this year. They’re not looking to get rid of any of their top guys. Not the way they’ve been playing. If you’re the Nets, and really, if you are anybody in the league with your eyes on Collins, you are just hoping the Hawks realize they’re not getting a major payback for Collins and they lower the price,” the Eastern Conference executive told Heavy Sports.

via Thomas Darro @ Heavy.com

Why's Harris suck so bad this year?   I don't know Cam Thomas' game very well.  Royce O'Neale can shoot though.  

• Moderators

So they are going to take our starting PF and give us three underwhelming wings for him?  Wow.  What a deal.  Can't wait to see how Nate sets his rotation with DM, AJ, Bogi, Harris, Thomas, Hunter, O'Neale, Holiday, Forrest, Krejci and Martin.  

Guess we'll be starting Hunter or JJ the rest of the way at PF.  This sounds viable.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why's Harris suck so bad this year?   I don't know Cam Thomas' game very well.  Royce O'Neale can shoot though.  

that's two 6'-4" guys and one 6'-6" guy for our big.  Who plays defense and rebounds?

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Any team can also see how JC is being used vs how he should be and determine whether that fits in their system. We all know he would thrive with a spacing center instead of us having to rely on him to do the spacing. His poor season is because he's not shooting well, but he's a better defender this season and playing extremely well without Cap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LucastheThird said:

As long as he has realized that he is a role player, sure. But I doubt he wants to return and I'm not sure what was said in the locker room that led to him being traded. The team might not want him back. 

He don't realize he's not a role player yet. I would pass and ya'll know I used to be the Reddish guy. That said, Milwaukee would be a nice fit. They need a big guard off the bench so bad. So does the Lakers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:
One Eastern Conference executive shared with Heavy Sports where things stand with Atlanta and Collins and the likelihood that the Nets would be able to get a deal done for the sixth-year forward.  “What you are seeing with Collins now is that the Hawks want him to be treated like an All-Star, they want a big-time return for Collins—not quite like the Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell trades, but something in that neighborhood. And everyone else looks at him like he’s a guy who is owed $100 million over the next four years and is having the worst year of his career. The Nets can build a package around Joe Harris to make the money match, and add in Royce O’Neale and Cam Thomas.

The Hawks would want someone more like Ben Simmons back, and maybe more. The Nets are looking to go for it this year. They’re not looking to get rid of any of their top guys. Not the way they’ve been playing. If you’re the Nets, and really, if you are anybody in the league with your eyes on Collins, you are just hoping the Hawks realize they’re not getting a major payback for Collins and they lower the price,” the Eastern Conference executive told Heavy Sports.

via Thomas Darro @ Heavy.com

Simmons might be overpaid right now but man, he is still versatile as hell. Harris has regressed too much and O'Neale is not a throw-in, he's the best player in that package. I would rather move Simmons over O'Neale. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Simmons might be overpaid right now but man, he is still versatile as hell. Harris has regressed too much and O'Neale is not a throw-in, he's the best player in that package. I would rather move Simmons over O'Neale. 

O'Neale is the best player in that package but that is kind of damning with faint praise.  He is a nice 6'4'' wing who fits into the rotation off the bench for just about any team but moving our starting PF for him creates a huge clog at the SG/SF spots on our roster and a gaping hole in the starting lineup.  Makes no sense.  At least Simmons could play PF.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LucastheThird said:

As long as he has realized that he is a role player, sure. But I doubt he wants to return and I'm not sure what was said in the locker room that led to him being traded. The team might not want him back. 

JHol seems like he would be a Thibs type of guy to me.  Thibs may take him for Reddish straight up, although their front office may think differently.  

And as far as what I remember being reported, I don't think Reddish necessarily burned bridges on his way out of Atlanta... think he just saw himself as a star and felt like he wasn't getting the opportunity he felt he deserved in Atlanta.  I gotta think his time in New York has humbled him though... hopefully he would be amenable to being a role player back in Atlanta.  But of course there may have been plenty of unreported resentment between the Hawks' brass/players and Reddish, so who knows if they would even entertain the thought of a reunion.  I personally would pull the trigger if the cost is only JHol and maybe one 2nd.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

And as far as what I remember being reported, I don't think Reddish necessarily burned bridges on his way out of Atlanta... think he just saw himself as a star and felt like he wasn't getting the opportunity he felt he deserved in Atlanta.

This just doesn't ring true to me.  He was injured for most of the year, came back and played (and played well enough) in the Bucks series, then asked for a trade that offseason.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

O'Neale is the best player in that package but that is kind of damning with faint praise.  He is a nice 6'4'' wing who fits into the rotation off the bench for just about any team but moving our starting PF for him creates a huge clog at the SG/SF spots on our roster and a gaping hole in the starting lineup.  Makes no sense.  At least Simmons could play PF.

Simmons with Murray is not a spacing goals but Simmons can dribble drive and defend multiple positions so we could just play four out with OO at the 5. 

JC makes so much sense for Brooklyn. Takes a lot of stress off of KD when healthy as well. 

55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This just doesn't ring true to me.  He was injured for most of the year, came back and played (and played well enough) in the Bucks series, then asked for a trade that offseason.

So I believe this is the article that I read a while back that seemed to indicate that Reddish wanted a bigger role. Of course it was written by Kirshner, so probably best to take it with a grain of salt.

Will a change of scenery help Reddish?

This is what Reddish has been awaiting. It was an open secret in Atlanta that he wanted to go elsewhere, according to sources, because there wasn’t a path for him to become the player he thinks he can be — which meant the road to a lucrative contract extension, for which he is eligible after this season, wasn’t going to be there. Reddish’s availability also didn’t help his chances to earn a more prominent role. He has played in just 66 percent of available games during his career.

The Hawks’ roster, particularly on the wing, is deep with other young players who have been more steady. Atlanta holds De’Andre Hunter, who was drafted fourth in the same draft as Reddish, in higher regard. Kevin Huerter just signed a four-year, $65 million extension this past offseason, and the team signed Bogdan Bogdanovic to a four-year, $72 million contract before last season. Each of those players was going to be given more leeway to play over Reddish.

https://theathletic.com/3069571/2022/01/13/cam-reddish-traded-how-hell-fit-with-knicks-why-the-hawks-gave-up-on-him-right-now-and-more/

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

So I believe this is the article that I read a while back that seemed to indicate that Reddish wanted a bigger role.

Yes, he wanted a bigger role, but he had not even mastered the role he was given.  And again this was coming off missing most of the regular season and returned only to play vs the Bucks.  He got some bad advice from his handlers - worried about his lucrative contract vs putting in the work.  Now he is on the bench in NYK and might be traded again and chances are his QO may not even get picked up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes, he wanted a bigger role, but he had not even mastered the role he was given.  And again this was coming off missing most of the regular season and returned only to play vs the Bucks.  He got some bad advice from his handlers - worried about his lucrative contract vs putting in the work.  Now he is on the bench in NYK and might be traded again and chances are his QO may not even get picked up.

No argument from me that he got bad advice and went about it the wrong way, especially before earning his stripes. Just suggesting what may have been going through his head at the time. But like I mentioned previously, I would hope his time in NY has humbled him to the point where he realizes that nothing is going to just be "given" to him. And of course we got to remember that we're dealing with very young adults here, so sometimes we need to be reminded that we're not quite as good as we think we are before we can mature as a person 😄. But he's still got the talent and physical attributes that a lot of us drooled over. If he can keep maturing and get his head right, he still has a chance to be an excellent NBA player. Big "if" though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Not just this year, sun.  Guy's been hurt or bad since gettin' paid.  Him and the Latvian Lazer fly under the radar for guys who got paid and shut it down.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Not just this year, sun.  Guy's been hurt or bad since gettin' paid.  Him and the Latvian Lazer fly under the radar for guys who got paid and shut it down.

When'd he get paid?   His 3 point numbers prior to this year are downright gaudy.  

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

When'd he get paid?   His 3 point numbers prior to this year are downright gaudy.  

Both Harris and Bertans signed new contracts in the 2020 offseason.  Harris got injured then had surgery after playing 14 games in 2020-21.  

• Thanks 1