• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Deadline 2023: February 9th.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Seems like every player will be making $20+ million quite soon.

And it seems like all teams are seeking 2 1st round picks for their players.

The San Antonio Spurs are known to be listening to trade offers for Jakob Poeltl. However, San Antonio is asking for a significant return for their prized center.

The Spurs are telling teams they want two first-round picks in any deal that involves Poeltl. San Antonio doesn't feel they are in a position where they have to move Poeltl, as they hold his Bird rights as an unrestricted free agent this summer.

• Premium Member
On 1/14/2023 at 1:05 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Per Marc Stein:

The trade market for Atlanta Hawks forward John Collins continues to swirl. The Washington Wizards, Utah Jazz, Brooklyn Nets and Indiana Pacers all have registered vary degrees of interest in trading for Collins.

Recently, the Hawks gave Collins representatives to seek a deal on their own. Atlanta is currently in a front office transition, as Travis Schlenk stepped aside from leading the basketball operations. Landry Fields was promoted to general manager, and Kyle Korver was elevated to assistant GM.

Question:

Who or what do you want from each of these teams in a JC trade?

I'm against trading Collins.   That being said the Hawks will get a 2nd rd pick or some bum.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TRADE IDEA

Find a team willing to take on $$$ payroll in a trade.  I hear the Suns are willing.

Justin Holiday for some well protected 2nd round picks.  This removes his payroll from the Hawks and this puts Atlanta well below the line for tax purposes.

:bb:

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Justin Holiday for some well protected 2nd round picks. 

Gray, not sure who's telling you the Suns would be willing to take back salary... they're well above the tax line... which, of course, is far beyond the salary cap--ie, under which a team would have be in order to take back salary w/o sending anything back.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/tax/

But even if we assume a team with some salary cap space was willing, think history would suggest strongly, we would have to be forking over some additional real draft asset(s) in order to slice a $6.2m salary off our books.

So, nah... Diesel's hyperbole notwithstanding, there's not a lot of good reason to think JDay's going to be dealt. He seems to be ours for the long haul. But glass half-full, those sometimes are the guys who are so well-rested by the post-season that they can actually give you some quality minutes in an emergency, and he's certainly able to hit a game-winning 3 point shot if it ever came down to it.

2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

puts Atlanta well below the line for tax purposes.

As you'll see on spotrac (link above), we're below the tax line, but it depends on Capela and DJ "unlikely" bonuses whether we're actually going to end up beneath it at season's conclusion.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, sturt said:

Gray, not sure who's telling you the Suns would be willing to take back salary... they're well above the tax line... which, of course, is far beyond the salary cap--ie, under which a team would have be in order to take back salary w/o sending anything back.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/270076/Suns-Have-Informed-Teams-Theyll-Take-On-Salary-In-Trades

came from his article today.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

there's not a lot of good reason to think JDay's going to be dealt.

Caveat... and as I've said previously... that's not to say that JDay couldn't be filler for some bigger trade, either one that directly benefits us, or where our role would be as 3rd or 4th partner to make something happen.

That latter idea is really what would just be super fortuitous, as long as there would be some other roster improvement that that would enable... perhaps able to make a serious multi-year bid on a legitimate buy out talent... Eric Gordon comes to mind, since his 2023-24 salary isn't guaranteed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Good to read the actual article to understand the context, of course, and not just the headline... can I get an "amen?"

2023-01-20_15-14-25.png

What is this, 1992?  Ain’t nobody got no time to read no articles.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

think I’d be content with sending out holiday and turning that into Markieff Morris and Dewayne Dedmon. We’ve seen when we play the right way we can win. I think a couple more vets to hold guys accountable + bring more toughness is sorely missing from this team and would go a long ways. 

mid season - there is nothing worth it imo without accepting you will punt on the season. Off season if we fail to make a run then I’d say Re evaluate. 

no idea if either of those names are a possibility - but I’d like to find some guys like them if they aren’t.