• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

First of all, good job to our insiders of hook us up with good information and hopefully it won't be used like all of the other times (Please keep this information inhouse please?).  But I have a few questions about that information.

1.  So what is the percent that John will be in Hawks Uniform past the trade deadline?

2.  What made Ressler finally decided to go into the Luxury Tax mode?

3.  Outside of that, what else should we be keeping our eyes on in the next few weeks?

I know that TV deal is stilling getting work on and that expansion will happen, but Vegas is not a lock in anymore (Mexico City is gaining alot of stream right now with Seattle)

Edited by NekiEcko

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Just to add if we got Simmons he would play PF for us. People forget he's 6'10 or 6'11 and at least 240 pounds. He can legit defend all five positions in the NBA at a high level. 

I guess i haven't watched him enough but i have serious doubts he can defend 4 and 5s effectively.   I mean maybe if he's switched on to them for a play but not full time.  I'm not sure where to find the info but isn't there somewhere that shows how many minutes he's logged at the 4?

I'll make an avatar bet that we will not pay the luxury tax this year if there are any takers. 

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

.  What made Ressler finally decided to go into the Luxury Tax mode?

We are not it the tax, all Supes said was Ressler is not afraid of the tax this year (which is wgat he also said last offseasonbut still dumped Huerter).....I don't believe that for one second. This is also in conflict with Soth said about Ressler not wanting to pay the tax next year as well unless it's for KAT or Embiid.

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'll make an avatar bet that we will not pay the luxury tax this year if there are any takers. 

Good luck with that. 😆 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, warcore said:

If we trade for Simmons this deadline, then we can't trade or either of Kat or Embiid due to the rules of only being allowed to trade for one player on a rookie max extension. Same thing the Nets dealt with this summer (except they didn't)

A very good reminder.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Boy 4 years ago if i'd have told you the top 4 in the west this season would be Nuggets, Grizz, Pelicans, Sac i don't think anyone would have believed it. 

Yeah I wish we had the Sac pick this year instead of next.. smh

22 minutes ago, warcore said:

If we trade for Simmons this deadline, then we can't trade or either of Kat or Embiid due to the rules of only being allowed to trade for one player on a rookie max extension. Same thing the Nets dealt with this summer (except they didn't)

Eh, I'm good on both of them.  Mainly because I see then as long, long shots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

So Trae wanted Ben and couldn't get him. Then Trae wanted DJM and got him.  Now Trae STILL wants Ben, even with DJM?  Does that mean he wants both together or he's willing to move DJM for Ben?  And Trae lobbied to keep Capela, right? 

I'm just curious if anyone understands Trae's roster building strategy?  And if so, kindly explain it to my like I'm 5.  Thanks. 

The strategy is easy

• Trae
  • Dejounte
  • Hunter
  • Simmons
  • Capela

You can either keep Trae as the primary ball handler, or run the offense more through Simmons ( who doesn't want to shoot anyway ).  Trae gets to run around like Steph Curry and shoot a ton of spot up 3s, while still having the ability to attack with the dribble drive.

Trae, Dejounte, and Hunter handle the bulk of the scoring.  Simmons facilitates.  Capela plays his offensive rebound game in the paint.  The defense potentially becomes even better.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

Then why in the world did he trade Kevin to get out of the luxury tax when he easily could have done it at the trade deadline if we sucked or used Kevin in a bigger trade to go further into the tax for a superstar.

While I don't have the reasoning, maybe Sothron does. My guess is lack of playing time and thinking they can maximize on his trade value in the summer. That was a mistake. Considering how the trade market is right now, probably would have gotten more. 

As for paying the LT for the right guys, maybe they didn't see Kevin as the right guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

While I don't have the reasoning, maybe Sothron does. My guess is lack of playing time and thinking they can maximize on his trade value in the summer. That was a mistake. Considering how the trade market is right now, probably would have gotten more. 

As for paying the LT for the right guys, maybe they didn't see Kevin as the right guy

The only thing I can see is that teams had room to absorb salary this summer and there is less certainty as to how many teams will be able to do that mid-year and so the decision was made to unload Kevin when it was certain we could get under the tax line.  But this same issue was raised at the time of the trade because the NBA is quite flexible as far as when you need to be under the tax line to avoid the tax (and collect from tax paying teams).

• Like 3