• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: heat at Hawks -- The MLK Day Game!

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

“All I’m saying is simply this: that all life is interrelated, that, somehow, we’re caught in an inescapable network of mutuality tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. For some strange reason, I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.”

This is deep!! 

• Like 3

• Moderators
  • Moderators

My third reason moves to an even deeper level of awareness, for it grows out of my experience in the ghettoes of the North over the last three years — especially the last three summers.

As I have walked among the desperate, rejected, and angry young men, I have told them that Molotov cocktails and rifles would not solve their problems. I have tried to offer them my deepest compassion while maintaining my conviction that social change comes most meaningfully through nonviolent action.

But they ask — and rightly so — what about Vietnam? They ask if our own nation wasn’t using massive doses of violence to solve its problems, to bring about the changes it wanted. Their questions hit home, and I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today — my own government.

For the sake of those boys, for the sake of this government, for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent.

For those who ask the question, “Aren’t you a civil rights leader?” and thereby mean to exclude me from the movement for peace, I have this further answer.

In 1957 when a group of us formed the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, we chose as our motto: “To save the soul of America.”

We were convinced that we could not limit our vision to certain rights for black people, but instead affirmed the conviction that America would never be free or saved from itself until the descendants of its slaves were loosed completely from the shackles they still wear.

In a way we were agreeing with Langston Hughes, that black bard of Harlem, who had written earlier:

O, yes,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath —
America will be!

https://www.thirteen.org/blog-post/martin-luther-kings-most-controversial-speech-beyond-vietnam/

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Do we dare to have a full squad?

Clint Capela (strained calf) is upgraded to Questionable, as of this morning's latest Injury/Illness report. Trae Young (sore shoulder) is Probable.

Kyle Lowry (knee pain) has been out for the past week and missed the heat's last three wins, which included a second-straight home win over Milwaukee (no Giannis in either of those games).

Frontcourt contributors Duncan Robinson (finger surgery), Omer Yurtseven (ankle surgery) and Nikola Jovic (back stress reaction) remain out for Erik Spoelstra's squad, while Caleb Martin (strained quad) is listed as Questionable. Dewayne Dedmon has yet to play for Coach Spo since Massage Gun Gate, and he had been getting nearly Udonis Haslem (DNP'd since Dec. 15) floortime anyway.

Even with Buckets and Bam out there, opportunities abound for Atlanta to pounce in the paint.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

For the theists among us, one more MLK sermon sample, on faith, fear, and fishing!

https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/king-papers/documents/draft-chapter-xiv-mastery-fear-or-antidotes-fear

A final way to master fear is through faith. One of the commonest sources of fear is the consciousness of deficient resources and of consequent inadequqcy for life. All too many people are attempting to face the tension of life with inadequate inner resources.

While on a recent vacation in Mexico, Mrs. King and I rented a boat and went deep sea fishing. Having limited money to spend we rented a rather cheap boat that was old and ill-equipped. At first we gave this no thought. But after getting about ten miles from shore the clouds began to hover low and the howling winds began to blow in fierce fury.

Immediately we were afraid because we knew that we had an inadequate boat that was not able to stand strong amid a storm. As we made our way back to the shore we were inflicted every minute with a paralyzing fear. Multitudes of people are in such a situation. Heavy winds, weak boats—they are afraid.

Many of our fears, particularly the abnormal ones, can be dealt with by the skills of psychiatry. This relatively new discipline pioneered by Sigmund Freud is a vital means of investigating the sub-conscious drive of men, and of discovering how and why these fundamental energies are diverted into neurotic channels. It can help us to look unflinchingly at our inner selves, and with searching fingers to probe out the causes of our failures and fears.

Much of our fearful living, however, moves in a realm where the service of psychiatry is ineffectual unless the psychiatrist is a man of religious faith. For the trouble with us is simply that we are attempting to face fear without faith; we are attempting to sail through the stormy seas of life without strong spiritual boats.

This is why one of the leading physicians and psychiatrists of America said: “The only known cure for fear is faith.”20 The abnormal fears and phobias that express themselves in neurotic anxiety can be cured by psychiatry, but the fear of death, nonbeing and nothingness which expresses itself in existential anxiety can only be cured by a positive religious faith.

Such a faith imbues us with a sense of the trustworthiness of the universe, and a feeling of relatedness to God. A positive religious faith does not leave us with the illusion that we will be exempted from pain and suffering, nor does it imbue us with the idea that life is a drama of unalloyed comfort and untroubled ease; rather it instills us with the inner equilibrium to face the strains, burdens and fears that will inevitably come.

~lw3

• Like 1