• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Quin Snyder - Additions/now CHANGES to the Coaching Staff

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Shouldn't they wait until the season is done first before announcing new coaches?  We still have some games left to play

We hired a new coach with 21 games left, no issue with him filling in his staff as the season comes to a close.

• Like 2

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think none of them.  

Very possible.  I'm glad for them that he has had 21 games working with them to assess them.  When a coach takes over in the offseason, he frequently just dumps everyone on the staff because they aren't "his guys" and brings in replacements.  In this case, our current coaches have had their chance to prove themselves and if he doesn't keep them they at least had a fair shake at it.  He should absolutely have a staff that he believes in and who he thinks will effectively implement his culture and schemes.

30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We hired a new coach with 21 games left, no issue with him filling in his staff as the season comes to a close.

Agree.  When he is ready to add someone then go for it.  I highly doubt he is being distracted from playoff preparation interviewing assistants or anything.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Very possible.  I'm glad for them that he has had 21 games working with them to assess them.  When a coach takes over in the offseason, he frequently just dumps everyone on the staff because they aren't "his guys" and brings in replacements.  In this case, our current coaches have had their chance to prove themselves and if he doesn't keep them they at least had a fair shake at it.  He should absolutely have a staff that he believes in and who he thinks will effectively implement his culture and schemes.

Agree.  When he is ready to add someone then go for it.  I highly doubt he is being distracted from playoff preparation interviewing assistants or anything.

I'd also guess that a lot of these guys are already lining up jobs for themselves

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

Shouldn't they wait until the season is done first before announcing new coaches?  We still have some games left to play

No official announcement made, I don't think. For now, it's just reporters saying what they're hearing unofficially, and Brey showing up at practices seems to affirm what they're hearing.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I think none of them.  

Not sure about that.

Read somewhere from some source that I perceived as credible (Schultz? Dunno.) that part of the reason Q likely was expected to keep the current staff intact was that some have contracts that extend through next season. And it made sense to me when I read it because, of course, it would seem natural for Nate's hires to have had contracts that terminate the same time that Nate's would.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

The way he describes Brey reminds me of me. 😉

Read "extremely likeable, low maintenance, and ego-free"... and believe it or not, almost immediately, I mumbled the words to myself, "Wow. Kinda like kg, then. Cool."

• Like 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, sturt said:

Not sure about that.

Read somewhere from some source that I perceived as credible (Schultz? Dunno.) that part of the reason Q likely was expected to keep the current staff intact was that some have contracts that extend through next season. And it made sense to me when I read it because, of course, it would seem natural for Nate's hires to have had contracts that terminate the same time that Nate's would.

That makes some sense if they just want to reward those guys, but don't assistants make like 200k?  Which is a lot to most of us but in terms of overall payroll it's a tiny expense.  I wouldn't want to force Quin to keep them just for that.

Working with them for the end of season and playoffs though hopefully he's found some guys he likes.  I like Prunty and van exel.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That makes some sense if they just want to reward those guys, but don't assistants make like 200k?  Which is a lot to most of us but in terms of overall payroll it's a tiny expense.  I wouldn't want to force Quin to keep them just for that.

Working with them for the end of season and playoffs though hopefully he's found some guys he likes.  I like Prunty and van exel.  

Absolutely agree with this.  If Quin had to keep some coach he didn't really want because the guy was under contract then that is the definition of pennywise pound foolish.  Quin needs to have carte blanche in picking his staff within whatever salary budget has is given.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's a relatively small expense, but I've been told that some of the wealthiest people are also some of the most frugal people sometimes. I would assume it's even more that way when there's an ownership group  involved, such that the lead investor feels an obligation to the other investors to be highly conscious of limiting unnecessary expense.

My guess? Quin said early on something like, "I feel I can work with almost anyone who's willing to work with me, and besides a lot of my former assistants are already employed elsewhere... so, sure, I'll be more than happy to hold on to the current staff in the short term, and possibly for next season as well."

My perspective on assistants?

Glad you asked. 🙂  It is that I have zero or almost zero insight into who a head coach should keep or not. On that point, I have to leave it to Quin and leave it to Mike McCarthy and assume they know what they're doing. (I don't watch Manfredball, or as some still call it, baseball, or I'd have added Davey Martinez to that sentence.) Until they start equipping them with bodycams, and posting videos on YouTube like they do police, I have to be content to say, "I don't know."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Absolutely agree with this.  If Quin had to keep some coach he didn't really want because the guy was under contract then that is the definition of pennywise pound foolish.  Quin needs to have carte blanche in picking his staff within whatever salary budget has is given.

I think Quin has had time to access each coach like he has each player, money should not be on the list for consideration.  Who he keeps if anyone maybe someone who has a good relationship with the players and their development to have some continuity.  This situation is a little different from a new coach hired in the off season with an entirely new staff coming onboard.  

Alex Jensen I’m pretty sure may be coming to the Hawks….Irv Roland may be looking for a head coaching but not out of the question for an assistant job. Out of our assistants we have, I want Joe Prunty back. I think our players clearly like Prunty and it seems like every team he’s coached with, they have good relationships with. He’s flexible and can work with this team. He also was a good interim coach while he was here. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

First Domino to fall....Jeff Teague is leaving as a scout to coach at his former high school.

Jeff Teague is back home again. The former Pike Red Devils standout and NBA All-Star was approved as Pike High School’s new basketball head coach by the township school board on Thursday night. “For me, it’s just being a mentor to younger guys and seeing people who grew up in the same areas that I grew up in and trying to get the same opportunity that I had,” Teague said.
  • Like 2

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to Quin Snyder - Additions/now CHANGES to the Coaching Staff