• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Quin Snyder - Additions/now CHANGES to the Coaching Staff

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I wish Quin had kept Prunty but he has every right to bring his own staff in. Good luck to all the coaches on the way out. They worked hard for this team.

Same idea, but a little different... I get the point that it's best to let all of them go as early as possible so that they each have optimal opportunity to land on their next lily pad, but if there are any slots Q doesn't have someone already specifically penciled-in, would be good (and still could be) to allow any of them to apply that would like to do that. Sure, there are bound to be at least a couple of guys that Q holds in high regard, but then again, just b/c you have some experience with certain lieutenants doesn't mean that you necessarily want to work with all of them again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

When Quin Snyder took over as head coach of the Atlanta Hawks mid-season, many changes were expected on his coaching staff looking ahead. As Zach Klein of WSB TV in Atlanta reported, Snyder is replacing nearly his entire staff.

Several assistant coaching candidates have emerged to potentially fill Snyder’s staff next season, including Bryan BaileyAlex JensenIgor Kokoskov, and Antonio Lang, league sources told HoopsHype.

Jensen spent eight seasons as an assistant coach under Snyder in Utah. Bailey was an assistant coach during Snyder’s final two seasons in Utah and previously during the 2019-20 season. Kokosov spent three seasons in Utah as one of Snyder’s assistant coaches before becoming head coach in Phoenix for one season and then one season each as an assistant with Sacramento, Dallas, and Brooklyn. Lang spent five seasons as an assistant coach under Snyder from 2014-19 and has spent the past four seasons in Cleveland.

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

• Thanks 3

Quin is getting who he wants as assistant coaches.  Next we must ask, "What will next season's roster look like when all these assistant coaches and Quin meet with the GM and his staff?"  I'll bet plans are under way right now to change some of the non starters.  We expect to add a new draft pick, whoever he is....

:smug:

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:52 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

When Quin Snyder took over as head coach of the Atlanta Hawks mid-season, many changes were expected on his coaching staff looking ahead.

So the action taken was hiring a new coach and they completely assumed he would make a change to the coaching staff?  MAKING STUFF UP!  I bet they got that tip from a zero pay blogger or a pitiful local beat writer.  He could be making an assessment of these coaches and decide to keep them all. 
When a news outlet reports I wish they were held to a standard and forced to state what they THINK will happen vs. reporting on the facts.  No where in this story does anyone with authority from the Hawks organization give a quote on the plan to hire a new coaching staff.  This is rumor mill level reporting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

So the action taken was hiring a new coach and they completely assumed he would make a change to the coaching staff?  MAKING STUFF UP!  I bet they got that tip from a zero pay blogger or a pitiful local beat writer.  He could be making an assessment of these coaches and decide to keep them all. 

To be fair, it's not a bad assumption.  Head coaches almost always bring in guys they have existing relationships with.  It probably didn't have much to do with the competency of the existing staff.  It's also likely Snyder had conversations with Landry and Tony that he would bring in his own staff in the offseason before they even hired him.

16 hours ago, AHF said:

It is also a strong signal to me that Quin has every intent of making significant schematic changes going forward.  He worked with the systems, coaches, and players who were in place but you can expect some more significant change going forward.

image.png.db2b74259d582c97ab5cdf91fdfff24d.png

• Haha 2

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Meanwhile Spud trying to figure out who Renzocapone is? :er: AHF?… umm 🤔 

Looks like I'm tryna figure out how to reply to AH.  Sheesh, is that my first live-ball turnover of the day? 

• Haha 2

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Meanwhile Spud trying to figure out who Renzocapone is? :er: AHF?… umm 🤔 

dreamworks-puss.gif

8 minutes ago, sturt said:

?

Is there anyone who is staying or someone that maybe we just don't have clarity on yet?

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

To be fair, it's not a bad assumption.  Head coaches almost always bring in guys they have existing relationships with.  It probably didn't have much to do with the competency of the existing staff.  It's also likely Snyder had conversations with Landry and Tony that he would bring in his own staff in the offseason before they even hired him.

You're right.  Some things are a no brainer, and we probably make safe assumptions all the time.  We could also safely assume Quin is going to install a different scheme without an official statement.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Final_quest said:

You're right.  Some things are a no brainer, and we probably make safe assumptions all the time.  We could also safely assume Quin is going to install a different scheme without an official statement.   

When the Hawks changed coaches, the same assistants stayed and they ran the same offense as before and it carried them into the playoffs.

Then, the next season the new coach brought in his own assistants and his own way of doing things.  Didn't do as well as we had before.  

Changed again last season and brought in Quin.  He ran the same plays and had the same assistants.  End of the season he changes all assistant coaches and will be doing everything his way next season.  We don't have to assume.  We know this is what is going to happen.

What we don't know is who will be on the roster when the new season begins.  We can only hazard a guess.

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

When the Hawks changed coaches, the same assistants stayed and they ran the same offense as before and it carried them into the playoffs.

Then, the next season the new coach brought in his own assistants and his own way of doing things.  Didn't do as well as we had before.  

Changed again last season and brought in Quin.  He ran the same plays and had the same assistants.  End of the season he changes all assistant coaches and will be doing everything his way next season.  We don't have to assume.  We know this is what is going to happen.

What we don't know is who will be on the roster when the new season begins.  We can only hazard a guess.

Well said.  I think the front office has multiple plans and doesn't know which they can execute.  I wouldn't count on them to tell us what those plans would be.  

Listening to Glen Willis earlier he was giving his ideas.  Best way to patch perimeter defense is a backup PG in the mold of Alex Caruso.  We aren't likely to move Trae, Murray, or Hunter.  So we're left with bringing in a defensive focused back up.  His other idea was moving Capela and having Collins mostly backup Okongwu at the 5.  You would probably need a 7 footer on the roster as well.  

• Thanks 2