• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Grizzlies at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Sorry Terrell,  I have to re-post for posters like @AHF who want to enter the conversation without following the thread

Exactly @terrelland somehow posters think he is going to sign on the cheap! This why many want to take this wait and see approach. He will want a minimum of $30 mil per season based on his fake inflated offensive numbers.

$20-25 million per season is not on the cheap but it's also not $30+

• Premium Member

$20-25 is $5 mil less than the yearly average of Julius Randle's contract and i doubt anyone would be giving up 3 1st rounders for him.  So I'm not sure why you are thinking Murray's agent is looking for that low ball contract

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

$20-25 is $5 mil less than the yearly average of Julius Randle's contract and i doubt anyone would be giving up 3 1st rounders for him.  So I'm not sure why you are thinking Murray's agent is looking for that low ball contract

Thanks for clarifying Peo.   I dont think he’ll get a max but clearly (imo) won’t be comparable to Huerter’s current deal.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is the sad truth I feel.  It's completely lose-lose if Murray doesn't turn it around on the court.  We either gave up 3 1sts for a guy who doesn't deserve a max (sad) or we gave up 3 1sts for a guy who will ultimately be a 3rd or 4th option (also sad).  At this point, we just really need Murray to find his role here and excel at it.  I'm not too worried right now until we see what happens this offseason and we see how everyone looks after an offseason with Quin 

• Sad 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This is the sad truth I feel.  It's completely lose-lose if Murray doesn't turn it around on the court.  We either gave up 3 1sts for a guy who doesn't deserve a max (sad) or we gave up 3 1sts for a guy who will ultimately be a 3rd or 4th option (also sad).  At this point, we just really need Murray to find his role here and excel at it.  I'm not too worried right now until we see what happens this offseason and we see how everyone looks after an offseason with Quin 

The other alternative is dealing him for a better fit.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I'm not too worried right now

Over here where I'm seated, the view is that it's not  the benefits of him to the offensive side of the court that worry me. Agreed he's mainly flashed but not been the consistent offensive force we'd hoped we were getting. But what gets so lost, it seems to me, is that he really has come in and been the other backcourt option so that it's not all loaded on Trae.

What's been missing imo has been the reliance on Holiday for 5-10 minutes every night so that you could actually have Trae and DM on the court together more often. Given his high praise for Holiday the other day, maybe Q's going to give more thought to that.

What worries me, if anything, is that DM's been a good but not great defensive asset. I think this team can be as the kids say balls-to-the-walls if there's a significant consistent defensive backcourt force along with a significant consistent defensive frontcourt force logging 30 minutes.

We've only gotten flashes.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Ummm yeah!! That's what I've been saying. Just trade the guy to salvage something instead of losing him for nothing or God forbid we keep this guy and over pay him. Cut your loses!

I just don't understand what you're proposing we trade him for right now.   If 3 firsts was a huge overpay then we'd just be compounding that mistake by dumping him now when his value maybe the lowest.  Unless you think there's no chance he plays better.    I think there is a good chance he plays better.   

As far as the contract goes he has to find someone willing to pay the prices you're talking about.   If he's really that bad i don't see it happening.  And if there are teams willing to pay that then there sure are teams willing to trade for him. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Ummm yeah!! That's what I've been saying. Just trade the guy to salvage something instead of losing him for nothing or God forbid we keep this guy and over pay him. Cut your loses!

He isn’t a “cut your loss” player for me.  I interpret that as someone who we take the best we can get no matter how bad that is.  For me, he is in the category of players who I need to get appropriate value for in a trade.  And that factors in his contract status.

• Like 3

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

I wish I could quote you @AHF so I can give you a big fat LOL!!!!

I got it.  You are saying you would take a second round pick for him if that is all that is being offered.  I’m saying I only move him in a deal that makes basketball sense to me.  You can lol about that all day.  I wasn’t completely sold on DM when we did the trade due to the price and his shooting.  His shooting has been a little better than I feared but his playmaking and defense has been a little worse.  Good player but doesn’t seem like the best fit as currently deployed.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If that's his market then that's his market. I hope it isn't but if you can't get more then what? Resign him to $30 mil plus per years? I don't think so!

I'm still confused how a guy you are proposing we might can only trade for a second round pick is going to command $30 million.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You got to ask @AHFabout the 2nd round pick stuff. That came from him. All I've said to trade the guy and salvage what you can. If he lands us Embiid, great! But he gots to go!

If he lands us Embiid then i am ready.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

If he lands us Embiid then i am ready.  

With most of our players, I am not willing to dump them just to cut losses but am ready for a deal that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

The other alternative is dealing him for a better fit.

Agreed

3 hours ago, AHF said:

He isn’t a “cut your loss” player for me.  I interpret that as someone who we take the best we can get no matter how bad that is.  For me, he is in the category of players who I need to get appropriate value for in a trade.  And that factors in his contract status.

Also agree -- DJ seems to have a good attitude and work ethic which is why I'm not as worried about him as I am our front court and Hunter

• Like 2