• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks year-to-date stats now that the season is almost done...

Just looked at some stats that I found interesting/revealing.  I'm not an analytics/metrics guy, per se, so I'll be okay with anyone who may have reason to cast aspersions on some of my thoughts regarding this info/conclusions.

1.  Even thought the Hawks take the second most field goal attempts in the league, we take the second fewest 3P attempts (as we all well know by now).  IF (big if) we were to take and make just one more 3P attempt per game... we'd lead the league in scoring.  And, that one extra 3P make would put us in the top 5 in 3P shooting %.  Weird how dramatically that one shot would swing things.  

2. We are in the bottom third of the league in FT attempts, but are third best in FT %.  Adding insult to injury, our opponents lead the league in FT %.  But, interestingly, for all the seeming ref bias against us, our opponents only shoot one more FT per game against us (though that does put us in the bottom third).  So, if we were a bit more "respected" by the refs, we'd probably gain another couple points per game in differential.    

3. We allow the fourth most made FGs against us.  We give up the fifth most FG attempts.  We allow our opponents the sixth best FG%.  We do, however, do a good job limiting our opponents 3P made shots (we are ninth in fewest allowed).  But...We.Still.Need.To.Play.Better.Defense!

4. If we gave up ONE less offensive rebound a game, we'd be top 5 in that category.  As it stands we are middle of the road.  But when you think of all the rebounds we let opponents get (using the eye test, just like the eye test for Clint's missed bunnies), we could easily do better here. 

So, all in all, our offense is a few small adjustments away from being top of the league.  
Our defense...(I guess we'll just try to outscore everyone next year?)

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

IF (big if) we were to take and make just one more 3P attempt per game... we'd lead the league in scoring.  And, that one extra 3P make would put us in the top 5 in 3P shooting %.  Weird how dramatically that one shot would swing things.

You're saying that if we increase our made three  pointers on average by one?  so from 10.8 made to 11.8 per game?  If that's the case though i think that's a little different than just making one more three a game.  I guess in theory it's the same but I'm going to have to do some maths on that.  

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

J
1.  Even thought the Hawks take the second most field goal attempts in the league, we take the second fewest 3P attempts (as we all well know by now).  IF (big if) we were to take and make just one more 3P attempt per game... we'd lead the league in scoring.  And, that one extra 3P make would put us in the top 5 in 3P shooting %.  Weird how dramatically that one shot would swing things.  

2. We are in the bottom third of the league in FT attempts, but are third best in FT %.  Adding insult to injury, our opponents lead the league in FT %.  But, interestingly, for all the seeming ref bias against us, our opponents only shoot one more FT per game against us (though that does put us in the bottom third).  So, if we were a bit more "respected" by the refs, we'd probably gain another couple points per game in differential.    

these are the two that make no sense when read together.  We lead the league in 2P FG attempts, yet are in the bottom third of FT attempts.     That defies logic and shows the true culprit of this team.  We take too many mid range shots. Way too many.

Someone show the hawks the shot chart from Villanova when they were winning titles.  Every shot was either behind the arc or within 3 feet of the basket.   The shot chart was a thing of beauty.  what do you think our shot chart looks like?  A Jackson Pollack painting?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, shakes said:

That defies logic and shows the true culprit of this team.  We take too many mid range shots. Way too many.

We've known this since before the season started -- remember Nate proudly declaring he doesn't care about analytics?  Cannot tell you how happy I am we have a guy that praises ppl for putting up three point ATTEMPTS.  Snyder will slowly unwind the shot habits McMillan drove into everyone's heads.

24 minutes ago, shakes said:

The shot chart was a thing of beauty. 

Same for those Rockets teams that imo heavily outperformed how good their roster was.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

You're saying that if we increase our made three  pointers on average by one?  so from 10.8 made to 11.8 per game?  If that's the case though i think that's a little different than just making one more three a game.  I guess in theory it's the same but I'm going to have to do some maths on that.  

I don't think I can differentiate between making one more 3 per game and increasing our made 3's on average by one.  Those seem like two different ways of saying the same thing.  But it is different than attempting one more 3 per game.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, shakes said:

Someone show the hawks the shot chart from Villanova when they were winning titles.  Every shot was either behind the arc or within 3 feet of the basket.   The shot chart was a thing of beauty.  

Yeah, this isn't exactly cutting edge stuff but it is important.  When Pitino was taking UK to the final four back in the 90's he was preaching to eliminate midrange shots and make every attempt in an ideal world from 3 or at the rim.  Taking a high % of midrange jumpers is giving points and possessions away.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, shakes said:

these are the two that make no sense when read together.  We lead the league in 2P FG attempts, yet are in the bottom third of FT attempts.     That defies logic and shows the true culprit of this team.  We take too many mid range shots. Way too many.

Someone show the hawks the shot chart from Villanova when they were winning titles.  Every shot was either behind the arc or within 3 feet of the basket.   The shot chart was a thing of beauty.  what do you think our shot chart looks like?  A Jackson Pollack painting?

Top 4 O's in the NBA.  Can you guess which is the Hawks?  

Hawks.jpg

GSW.jpg

Sacto.jpg

Cs.jpg

Also, it's interesting to see the coaching change and what effect it has had on shot type and frequency.  

Pre Q:  92 FGA per game; 30.4 3ptFGA per game (33%); 35.3% 3FG%

Q:  93.1 FGA per game;  30.1 3ptFGA per game (32%); 36.6% 3FG%

Pre Q:  46.7 FGA in restricted area / paint (50.8%)

Q:  48.3 FGA in restricted area / paint (51.9%)

Pre Q:  15.2 midrange FGA (16.5%)

Q:  14.7 midrange FGA (15.8%)

Haven't seen the reduction in midrange shots or the increase in 3pt shots.  Everything is essentially the same.  Makes sense, of course, with Q coming in midseason and not really having time to install an offense.  Still, I would have guessed we'd see a reduction in the low % shots to some extent.  

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Not hard to see which one is Atlanta by the midrange volume.  Look forward to next season seeing a new offense.  Until then I don’t anticipate major changes.

It's interesting to me that the Hawks can be tied for 3rd in the NBA in ppg with this highly inefficient offensive style.  It's not FTs. It's not shooting a high %.  It's simply getting up a lot of shots.  I'm guessing OReb and turnovers, but would have to research it.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

It's interesting to me that the Hawks can be tied for 3rd in the NBA in ppg with this highly inefficient offensive style.  It's not FTs. It's not shooting a high %.  It's simply getting up a lot of shots.  I'm guessing OReb and turnovers, but would have to research it.  

Yeah.  Quin is already pushing DJ to take more 3s which is interesting since he's not considered a good shooter.   But the Bucks take as many 3s as anyone and don't have a much different % than we do.    To me the point is you need good shooters but you don't need great shooters to make shooting the 3 a lot an effective weapon.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  Quin is already pushing DJ to take more 3s which is interesting since he's not considered a good shooter.   But the Bucks take as many 3s as anyone and don't have a much different % than we do.    To me the point is you need good shooters but you don't need great shooters to make shooting the 3 a lot an effective weapon.  

love this new way of thinking about basketball.   You suck at shooting 3s?  Well then, the obvious thing to do is shoot more 3s!!!    So glad I stopped playing this sport 20+ years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, shakes said:

love this new way of thinking about basketball.   You suck at shooting 3s?  Well then, the obvious thing to do is shoot more 3s!!!    So glad I stopped playing this sport 20+ years ago.

don't get angry at math

• Haha 1