• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Matrix vs. Unbreakable?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I know that there are feelings about The Matrix... The orginal. I want to know the overall feeling about the movies the Matrix in comparison to Unbreakable AS movies that make you think beyond the story line. I guess the real focus being that two characters Morpheus and Glass trying to get Neo and ??? to see that they are more than they have always believed that they were...

Thoughts...

Ive never seen Unbreakable... the movie startin BRUCE WILLIS, rite?

about him bein the only survivor on a train wreck that killed everyone else...

if its a good movie, let me know- i might check it out after i finish with school FINALS...

• Admin

probably the best comic book movie ever made. Simply because you don't even think "comic book" until Mr. Glass tells his little story at the end. But that's what it turns out to be. A pure, traditional comic book story brought to life.

I did find the last, like... two minutes to be kinda cheesy. Just because of the drawn out speech by Sam Jackson. If they'd had another actor playing Mr. Glass, I think the movie would have been bigger than The 6th Sense. But anyway, it made me want more. I wanted to know what Willis did next. I wanted to see him go to the mall looking for bad people or something like that. Or maybe see what happens between Mr. Glass and himself going forward.

The original matrix was excellent. I didn't see the movie till it came out on DVD actually. Despite being a huge fan of cinema, I totally avoided the hype. Probably because of Keanu Reeves being attached to it. but once I got the DVD I loved it. Great movie on so many different levels.

I don't really see any parallels between those particular characters though. I mean Mr. Glass was a villian, morpheus was more of a profit. Mr. glass intentions for finding Bruce was to validate his own existance, nothing more. He didn't really care what Bruce did after that. He just wanted to go on killing people until, hopefully, he could find someone who was the exact opposite of himself. He played mentor to Bruce only to find out what his powers were and wasn't really out to help Bruce become a super hero. He was quite crazy...

Morpheus was on the opposite end of the spectrum from Glass. Still crazy in his own way, but a good crazy. He was a mentor and teacher to neo and like all good teachers he had to push Neo to help him realise his potential.

two great movies though, IMO.

Unbreakable was one of the biggest all time box office flops and some of you are trying to make it sound like it was a good movie. Maybe if they hadnt tried to seriously pump the movie up as M Nights second coming of the Sixth Sense it wouldnt have done so bad but I cant remember one person that left the theater happy at the end of that movie. Here are some quotes I found on the web about this stinker.

"Unspeakable" might be a better title for M. Night Shyamalan's followup to his 1999 smash "The Sixth Sense."

IN SHORT: Almost unbearable.

Unbreakable, at its best, shares those same qualities, but in the end, we have been left with a build-up that not only results in the collapse of a bunch of cards, but also with a nagging, annoying question: Why did we start building it in the first place?

The surprise ending here is as bad as Sixth Sense's was good."

Far-fetched and utterly humorless

I know it was on tv last night...and my roommate watched the hour and a half version that aired....which baffled me. Cause all I heard about it at the time ws how it was a long, drawn out, slow to develop craporama.

• Premium Member

is the fact that Bruce Willis is not an exaggerated Super person, but is more "human" than he is "super"... While Neo is more "super" than he is human. Both Movies make you think outside of the box a bit. Especially how Glass guides the conversation. As far as flopped at the theater, well, it was no last action Hero, but a lot of movies that make you think flop.... I mean, how well did "The Usual Suspects" do at the Theater? What about "the Red Dragon"?

The bad about it was that it was slow developing and there were no super fight scenes...

I mean, the fight scene was Willis choking the guy who held the family hostage. The rest of the movie was a drama... It's definitely not an action movie or a horror movie but a movie that makes you think...

About Glass vs. Morpheus, you're right that they had different intentions... But in a way, Morpheus was also out to justify his existence too! I mean, Morpheus believed Neo was the ONE. He was the prophet. The Oracle had to justify Morpheus' prophecy:

1. That Neo was the one.

2. That Morpheus would find the one.

3. That Neo would save Zion and defeat the machines.

That was the "Law" that Morpheus worked within.

Glass was similar in that he didn't have an oracle, but he did have a Law... His Law was more simple... Comic Law. If there is a person in my condition, then there has to be an exact opposite. by comic Law. In a sense, Glass was a bit of a prophet too.

One thing that would have really made unbreakable a better "box office" movie is if it were more action... People usually don't like the "development" of a Hero, but rather what he does when he finally understands his powers. That's why Unbreakable left you wondering... "What happened with Willis next?"

• Admin

You got it right on the nose Chillz, you don't realize it is a comic book movie until the very end.

That is really what I liked about it. The whole movie is seems to be going into a certain direction and then boom this is just an origin to a super hero. Very unique in my opinion.

As for one of the biggest box office bombs of all time. That is very far from the truth. The movie actually did pretty good at the box office. No where near sixth sense money but from what I remember it did make money and hit the 70 or 80 million mark domestically.

Between a good movie like the Matrix and a stinker like Unbreakable that left people grossly disappointed.

Unbreakable

[*]Week 1 - $30,330,771

[*]Week 2 - $14,440,935 down 52% from previous

[*]Week 3 - $7,538,063 down 48% from previous

[*]Week 4 - $3,734,493 down 50% from previous

So, Unbreakable opens up with a bang at the box office with it being the much hyped new thriller thinking it might be as good as the Sixth Sense. Then those people tell their friends how bad the movie was and the numbers plummet by 50% in just one weekend. They continued to drop steadily throughout the month down to only 3 million tickets sold by the 4th week.

The Matrix

[*]Week 1 - $27,788,331

[*]Week 2 - $22,563,331 down 19% from previous

[*]Week 3 - $17,941,314 down 20% from previous

[*]Week 4 - $12,642,717 down 29% from previous

So, the Matrix opens up with decent numbers, many people thinking it might be another Johnny Pneumonic type of movie and avoiding it, then they hear from their friends how great it was and start flocking to the theaters to see it.

After 4 weeks the Matrix almost sells as many tickets as Unbreakable did in its 2nd week. These numbers clearly illustrate just how bad of a movie Unbreakable was.

Just for grins, lets look at the numbers for a real box office hit, Lord of the Rings part 3.

LOR: The return of the King

[*]Week 1 - $72,629,713

[*]Week 2 - $50,598,104 down 30% from previous

[*]Week 3 - $28,180,378 down 44% from previous

[*]Week 4 - $14,209,098 down 50% from previous

Now, thats a movie that had a huge opening weekend and followed it up with 2 more consecutive huge weeks.

Or, how about for a movie that had a ton of hype just like Unbreakable did, the 2nd Matrix.

The Matrix II

[*]Week 1 - $91,774,413

[*]Week 2 - $39,904,034 down 56% from previous

[*]Week 3 - $15,687,241 down 60% from previous

[*]Week 4 - $9,186,342 down 41% from previous

Even in its 4th week it still does almost 3 times the gross that Unbreakable did in its 4th week.

Hey Dolf ~ you want to rage against the institution and make the argument legit. I'm not disagreeing with you... but how much money a movie makes means squat (though, with all of these films being R rated it's somewhat less skewed).

can you get ticket sale data and report the stats as all Euro countries do. Really, ti's the only legit way to guage these things....

• Premium Member

Dude,

What gives. Reading your post made me look at the whole picture... First off a normal google search revealed that many critics gave the movie a good rating. Just about every one I saw. But one guy summed it up right... Some people will like it, some people will hate it. Obviously, you hate it. I watched the movie not knowing that the same director did 6th Sense, so my approach was as one who didn't have any preconcieved notions about it. I think it worked for me.

Looking at the money details, The Script was sold for 5 million dollars to disney. The cost of production and advertisment went for 65 million total. The movie made 92 million total. I think that's a win.

It's ranking week to week for the weeks you mentioned were: 2nd, 2nd, 4th, and 7th.... That's not bad considering it opened the week after "the Grinch who stole Christmas". The Grinch opened on Thanksgiving weekend. Grossed 213 Million and held #1 for several weeks.

I don't know Dole... The movie isn't a instant classic, but i didn't say that one was, I said that it was a movie that was different and made you think... instead of all these mindless shootem up movies...