• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Christ less popular than Spider Man????

Diesel

• Premium Member

http://www.the-numbers.com/features/Passion.php

Check out this graph. The Passion of Christ compare to the other blockbuster movies of recent time. Spider man beats the Passion of Christ?

How is that. With Churches turning out to see "The Passion" in groves... How did come in behind spider man? Do they not count when the Churches bought the movie?

Also, what about Nemo? This can't be true.. Spider man bigger than Nemo? I remember waiting in Line to get a ticket for Nemo during it's 7th week and the show being sold out on a Thursday and again on that Sunday....

I remember seeing Spiderman the week it opened.

D, obviously yo'ure missing out on how these numbers are compiled and what they mean. As I mentioned in another post, the US movie-system reports Hollywood groos, not on ticket sales. Nemo was a G movie attended largely by children during matinees, not during the higher priced night movies, whereas Spider man was PG-13, thus appealing to an incredibly large population, ie everyone (PG movies are almost the death sentence nowdays, story for another time) and attended greatly during night viewing sessions as well as matinees by the kiddies and parents. The passion was R, thus many kids didn't.weren't allowed to go either, despite the subject matter, though I seem to recall it having the biggest "gross" for an R rated movie.

The Euro system is much better, fairer, and in tune to retrospective comparison, as they base everything on ticket sales, not gross, thus eliminating the confounders of inflation and ticket prices. The rating effect, however, prevails throughout.

• Admin

One is a much hyped, summer action movie. The other a moderately advertised religious epic. They just don't draw the same crowds.

Plus spider-man had a MUCH wider release than POTC did. But I bet if you compare the per-screen numbers, POTC might win. But maybe not. Like I said. Spider-man crosses over into a much larger audience than a movie likt POTC.