• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

(AVP) Corn, cheese...and KILLIN!

Wretch

• Premium Member

Everybody has that one movie that you're going to see regardless. Alien(s) Vs. Predator(s) was mine. I knew what to expect going in. Cheezy one liners...corny dialogue...and inconsitent sh#t all over the place but it was fun.

Sometimes I wonder if these guys get hit with a killer idea or marketable theme, wrap a plot around it in 5 minutes, and then crank out a script a week later. Seriously, that's what it seemed like with AVP. Why not just take the time to research (watch a few movies/read a few comics/ask a few questions) and get someone to ink a decent script?

Guess they figured that you can't go wrong with Aliens and Predators beatin' the crap out of each other; they were kinda right. The novelty of the whole thing made it enjoyable for me. Problems? Yeah, what's an Alien's gestation period? How long does it take one of those things to fully develop? Longer than a whole 2 hours I think... smirk.gif Didn't see a whole lotta inconsitency with the Predators though. They must have done a little bit of research on them.

Good movie. Worth watching if you're into this kind of sh#t.

Like me! grin.gif

• Admin

Paul WS Anderson. The same guy who brought us first rate films like Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat. This guy couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag. Even worse, he's supposedly a HUGE fan of both series... WHATEVER. For someone who is supposedly a huge fan, he sure took a [censored] all over the history of both films.

As you said, the Alien gestation time, which used to take days and made for a very tense, frigtening couple of days, was reduced to mere minutes.

Lets also not forget how they made the predators look like total wusses without their guns.

Oh and then there's the part where the girl is made an "honorary predator". Give me a break. Predator 2 wasn't a great movie. But at least they handled the same plot line in a cool, low key, "realistic" manner.

Do you know how this movie got made? Because of the sales of the AVP video games. The marketing weasels saw that it would sell and they decided to go wiht it. Amazingly it took them several years and several re-writes to get this script.. Makes you wonder what they were doing eh?

• Premium Member

Most of his movies offer a promising premise, but they just average out in the final production. I just don't understand the mentality of these studios. I mean, movies would make SO MUCH more money if even some of the smallest details are taken into account.

I didn't disagree with the personas of the Aliens or the Predators much. For the most part, they did what they normally do. The Aliens displayed the "hive mind" and they were as quick and agile as they were in every other movie. They never were especially bright, but they knew how to fight and they figured sh#t out eventually. All that was properly represented.

I didn't see the Predators as weak in any way. Up until now, we've only seen them go up against humans - who are obviously not as Physically adept. But un unarmed Predator up against an Alien is a pretty even matchup... Predators are smarter and maybe a little stronger, but Aliens are faster, more agile, and have acid for blood.

The whole thing with the girl didn't bother me either. At first I was like, "okay, that's kinda cheezy." But remember, these creatures are not really "predators" by definition. They aren't simple wonton killers either. They're incredibly intelligent hunters, from a highly advanced civilization; they only attack that which can properly defend itself. Also if you follow the plot of the movie, our races did have a history of cooperation. Given that they cleaned up any "Alien outbreaks" should the hunt go wrong, they were also concerned about the welfare of the planet.

Some things in the movie were done right. Much of it was done wrong. But I lowered my expectations and ignored the inconsistencies and didn't find anything that would stop me from enjoying the movie.

Still, someone should slap Paul in the face with some common sense. Apparently he needs just a little more.

• Admin

The move was total cheeze.

I was really dissappointed since I liked both Predator and Aliens.

They really could have made a cool movie but instead made this complete waste of time.

Isn't suppose to be cold in Antartica? She seemed to be just fine with out any winter clothes on. Plus where did they get all the wood in the Antartic in 1904 to build that town and who shoveled out all the snow? I figured after 100 years the town would be covered don't you think?

Big dissappointment if you ask me.