• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel, you've convinced me.

Gray Mule

Hawks blew it. Our draft pick, #2 overall, is a dud.

He did not show up in big games.

He is not a "real" competitor. If he had been, if he had

truly been great and worthy of being #2, he would have

demanded that he be allowed to start. If that destroyed

the team chemestry, so what.

All the other teams misled the Hawks and fooled them

into believing he was a worthy draft pick.

His teammates conspired to mislead the Hawks. When they

talked about him and his ability, they were only doing

that so that they could laugh at the Hawks.

Finally, our own GM was so stupid to believe all this

unmertied praise and swallowed it all, hook, line and

sinker. In other words, we've been had and only you,

Diesel, were able to see thru all this bull feathers out there and uncover the real truth.

I know and understand that you were sorely dissapointed

that the Hawks didn't trade down and drat a PG and a

center. Then, to know that we have been taken in by

this conspiricy it's hard on us.

But, you're right. I doubt that this man can make our

NBDL team. Why don't we just release him and save our

money. After all, we haven't signed him yet.

Posted Image

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, you have to love the sarcasm there.But yeah I think we should give Marvin time to prove himself. Did UNC not have the most talented starting 5 in basketball? Those 5 had played together for a long long time, and it was in the best interest as a team for Marvin to come off the bench, and the opposite kind of attitude that Marvin displayed (a selfish attitude) is what destroyed the season those same starting 5 at UNC had prior to Marvin and Roy Williams coming to UNC.I like the pick because Smith and Marvin could really become the best foward tandem in the league in a few years. What other team in the NBA has a foward tandem with that much talent at the age of 19. I believe Childress will do fine at the 2, and we finally have the 2,3,4 spot locked down. One thing that BK did in this draft was allow us to be able to trade Harrington this year rather than pay him. We trade him in a sign and trade for our center and then take our starting pg in the pg heavy draft next year and we're set. The quality pg depth in next years draft is projected to be much stronger than this years draft. The moves BK has made finally had given a ray of hope to many Hawks fans, and he has proven to me that he has a plan and one that I believe will work.

• Premium Member

And you're old enough to know this...I hope I convinced you to not just go with something without investigation?I mean is it that we Hawks fans are like little children who will believe in anything we are told and hope for the good of our situation all the time??I've been through the Babcock years. Those years have taught me to be a skeptic..I've heard the "Roy Marble is the next Micheal Jordan"..I've heard that "Doug Edwards could be as good as Karl Malone".I've heard that " Stacy Augmon is easily the best Athlete in the NBA and will tandem with Dominique to make the best 2/3 combination in the game".I've heard that " Jon Koncak was worth the money".These things have taught me that, while it's worthwhile to listen to the GM and his pillow talk, that some of these things require my own skepticism and investigation. However, most of you Babes... are still being rocked off to sleep believing that Marvin Williams is better than Jordan (As KB has said)..COME ON Man....Marvin hasn't shown any killer instinct on the court. The personality of a superstar is KNOWN... And in 99% of the time, that guy is a guy who lives, eats, breathes, sleeps Basketball and Competition... Marvin doesn't. That guy 99 percent of the time is a guy who wants to be on the floor with the ball in his hand in the big game with the destiny of his team in his hands... Marvin doesn't. In all actually, Marvin could be the next Shane Battier. A player with all the tools to be good but not the personality to be a superstar...

Quote:

And you're old enough to know this...I hope I convinced you to not just go with something without investigation?I mean is it that we Hawks fans are like little children who will believe in anything we are told and hope for the good of our situation all the time??I've been through the Babcock years. Those years have taught me to be a skeptic..I've heard the "Roy Marble is the next Micheal Jordan"..I've heard that "Doug Edwards could be as good as Karl Malone".I've heard that " Stacy Augmon is easily the best Athlete in the NBA and will tandem with Dominique to make the best 2/3 combination in the game".I've heard that " Jon Koncak was worth the money".These things have taught me that, while it's worthwhile to listen to the GM and his pillow talk, that some of these things require my own skepticism and investigation. However, most of you Babes... are still being rocked off to sleep believing that Marvin Williams is better than Jordan (As KB has said)..COME ON Man....Marvin hasn't shown any killer instinct on the court. The personality of a superstar is KNOWN... And in 99% of the time, that guy is a guy who lives, eats, breathes, sleeps Basketball and Competition... Marvin doesn't. That guy 99 percent of the time is a guy who wants to be on the floor with the ball in his hand in the big game with the destiny of his team in his hands... Marvin doesn't. In all actually, Marvin could be the next Shane Battier. A player with all the tools to be good but not the personality to be a superstar...
Well Diesel, I am not exactly a babe in the woods by anyones definition. Let me see though, we have been lulled to sleep with the hype of Marvin Williams yet you have no doubt in your mind that Paul is the best since Lebron and Deron is better than Kidd. And since Paul is better than both Deron and Kidd he must surely be the best six footer since the Icon (West) himself!So why don't you just put it out there, we have read how great you think Deron and Paul are, tell us how not so great (by making a same type comparison of) Marvin will be. Be honest now and not evasive. If you are going to dog the man (and post every column you can find no matter how trivial or unimportant the sources are) the least you can do is go on record as to how bad he will be. In the same manner you went on record as to how great Deron (better than Kidd) and Paul (better than both of them) will be.

• Premium Member

I think Marvin will be the second coming of Lamar Odom without the drugs...

He will be a very skilled player but not a player with the personality to carry a team. I just don't see the superstar mentality in Marvin.

I still believe that Deron will be as good if not better than Kidd, especially in UTAH. IN Utah, Deron will be put in the same system that Stockton played in and the difference between Deron and Kidd is defense and FG%.

I still believe that Paul will be ROY and if he remains Durableenough he will show better than Howard and Okafor last year. I think Paul will be the first 18-20 ppg rookie that has played since Lebron.

Mark it down, take a picture remember it!

Somewhere, between all the hype about Marvin being the

greatest thing since Cacius Clay {Ali} and a total

failure, lies the truth.

Being a Battier fan, saying that he will be another

Battier, that's not all that bad with me.

Sometimes, we think too highly of our players. We all

do that. After all, we ARE fans. However, when you

follow the thoughts of many of our posters here, when

they name their starting five for the coming season

{After proposed signings, trades, etc} I have noticed

that Marvin is mentioned as coming off the bench

for the Hawks.

What?? Having the #2 pick not start? Yep. Check it

out. Most don't really expect him to be Mr. Everything

for the team. We're just hoping that he will be another

piece of the puzzle as the Hawks rebuild.

Diesel knows. And here, seriously, I do agree with him.

We have been fed so much of the hype, over and over,

about how great this player and that player is and that

he will be able to carry us, it must be proven to us

before we become true believers.

Do I truly believe that Marvin is the greatest thing

since sliced bread? No. Do I believe that he will bring

instant success to the Hawks? No. Do I expect him to

be an instant all star, a starter for the East? Hardly.

No, don't get carried away with all the hype and expect

miracles from Marvin. That will only set you up for a

major dissapointment. After all, he is still just a

very young man, still growing and learning. There are

many valueable lessons that he still must learn.

Do I believe that he is worthy of being the #2 draft

pick, which he was? Yes, I really do. I expect him to

grow into a very good NBA player. I expect him to fit

in with the other young players that the Hawks have

drafted and I expect all of them to grow into something

very special, an NBA team which Atlanta can take pride

in. Marvin is just one part of the whole.

The TEAM concept, alien to some, who desire "Star"

players to create excitement, is the way to build.

I believe Atlanta is building a TEAM. They have done

that in baseball and the formula works. I hope and

expect nothing less from the Hawks.

Posted Image

Why are you so in love with Deron....has he shown you anything resembling Kidd....when Kidd was coming out of college...no besides being a big point guard....their games really are nothing alike. U see a superstar mentality in Deron?Or do you live in your imagination?

For the record Deron will not be as good or better than Jason Kidd. Jason Kidd is more athletic and has better court vision than Deron. To me Jason Kidd is a natural in the Magic mold. There are just some skills you can't teach and floor vision and athleticism are two of them. I'm not hating on Deron I'm just giving Jason his respect. The only knock on Kidd is his shooting and even that has improved.I find it funny how you bash on Marvin yet immediately say Deron is Kidd's equal.

• Premium Member

I think when you look around in 3 yrs, there will be 4 top PGs...1. Deron2. Paul3. Telfair4. Nelson.Because of Deron's defense, I think he has a chance to surpass Kidd. Like Kidd, he can run an offense. Like Kidd, he can put the ball where he wants it to go. Like Kidd he has a very high BB IQ. Like Kidd, he's a winner.

• Premium Member

I don't think Draft position determines ability...In fact, lots of people passed over smoove too.Point is that Jameer had a good end to his rookie year and he was the Naismith Award winner when he entered the draft. I suspect he will beat Francis out for the starting PG spot in Orlando...

Quote:

I think Marvin will be the second coming of Lamar Odom without the drugs
Huh!!!!So in other words you think the man-child will be a bust.What unjustified bias!!! Rather than hold your peace and see if the kid can live up to the hype; you put yourself out there with the other babbling idiots who can't analyze the nose on their faces but mouth off to sound important. Post your evidence; let us "see" how Deron and Paul are "better" than Marvin and should have been taken at 2. The fact of the matter is both Deron and Paul had issues but you are blind to their shortcomings. Already we see that one of them may not be durable, yet in your mind we should have picked him. Slamming Marvin before you can see what they can do on this level is simply shortsighted. I would expect such immature foolishness from a newbie but you dominate the board with your posts, your predictions of disaster for the kid are unjustified, they simply cannot be substantiated UNTIL the Kid plays in the league. From your posts it seems you would be happy if Marvin fails so that you can gloat down the road and say that you were right. You need to get a grip Diesel……

• Admin

and while I don't agree with his assessment of the eventual outcome. I also share those concerns. using it as an opportunity to attack someones opinion simply because it is not in line with your own, while not taking the time to really look at the validity of what he's saying, is you being just as shortsighted as you accuse him of being.

• Premium Member

I don't think that Odom is a bust. I think he's a good player. I think he's a very versatile foward... If you think about it, he and Marvin share several qualities... One of which is not having the competitiveness to be a superstar.Now if I had said that he would be the next Tim Thomas, I would be calling him a bust.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't think that Odom is a bust. I think he's a good player. I think he's a very versatile foward... If you think about it, he and Marvin share several qualities... One of which is not having the competitiveness to be a superstar.

Now if I had said that he would be the next Tim Thomas, I would be calling him a bust.

I can see the point in questioning him but in flat out stating this as a fact you are assuming too much.