• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel, you've convinced me.

Gray Mule

• Premium Member

At UNC, he was a role player off the bench...

Tell me.

How does that translate to Superstar...

Tell me...

Can you see Kobe, KG, AI, MJ, Shaq, or Amare being a role player off the bench?

Hey,

I found something to help you see the attitude of a superstar...

Quote:

Tracy watched most of the misery from the bench. First, he landed in Walker’s doghouse for what was interpreted as a bad attitude. The coach criticized Tracy’s work ethic, telling some that the youngster wouldn’t last two years in the league, and almost never played him. When Carter took over, he used a more delicate touch with the rookie. The new coach sat down with Tracy and explained that he had to develop into an outstanding practice player before he could even think about being an NBA starter.

Carter’s stern-but-forgiving hand was just what Tracy needed. He called his coach “Uncle Butch,” and listened attentively to everything Carter said. By season’s end, Tracy was flashing his talent on a nightly basis. He also found an ally in Kobe Bryant. The two had become friendly by virtue of their membership in the NBA’s “Jumpa Straight From Prepa” fraternity. Bryant, in his second year with the Los Angeles Lakers, advised Tracy to seize opportunities in practice and games to impress the Raptors. That, he said, was all the organization wanted to see.

In the second half of the year, Tracy began to gain a better feel for life on and off the court in the pros. He hit the weight room and pushed himself and teammates in practice. His first career NBA start came in late December against the Washington Wizards, and he hit for 13 points and grabbed five rebounds. In 10 minutes of action in the Schick Rookie Game during the All-Star weekend in New York, he scored nine points. Against the New Jersey Nets, also in February, he recorded season-highs with 22 points and eight rebounds. Carter rewarded Tracy’s progress by inserting him in the starting lineup for the last 11 games of the campaign. For the year, playing 18 minutes a night, he averaged seven points, four rebounds, and one assist. Most important, he weathered the storm of a rocky rookie year and learned from his mistakes

Seize the moment...

Quote:

Comparisons to Scottie Pippen tell you a lot about Tracy’s talent. He is fantastically athletic and possesses a wonderful instinct for the game. There literally isn’t anything he can’t do—or can’t learn to do.

Tracy doesn’t have a classic jumper, but he has worked extremely hard to become accurate from the outside. Every year he has increased his range and proficiency from beyond the three-point arc. Closer to the hoop, he may attempt a wild shot on occasion, but he has such phenomenal body control that he often cans those shots or draws a whistle. And Tracy is developing into a clutch free-throw shooter—a crucial skill for a big-time go-to guy.

Too often in the early part of Tracy’s career he pouted and complained, partly because he is a hardnosed competitor. Given his youth, however, that had to be expected. As he gets older, Tracy will have to find a way to channel his desire to win into a more positive force. Teammates like him and are in awe of his ability. The final piece to the puzzle is to earn their respect as a leader.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Don't forget the being happy that the AAU coach pushed back practice so that he can watch Rugrats and the Spongebob Book bag...sofT...
Wait.. are you trying to diss Rugrats and Spongebob? If so, we have a problem!!!

Waitasecond.. a lot of what you just pasted could be interpreted to mean..If Marvin Williams was a pouty, immature crybaby, he'd have the right attitude??

• Premium Member

When I read that marvin would rather sit on the bench and lose the game so that another kid can play... I think that's not the attitude of a superstar.Ask any superstar... At the end of the game... Your team is down by 2, who do you want to have the ball??10 out of 10 would say ME.And if they didn't get it I believe they would pout and complain.Dominque is still mad that Doc Rivers didn't pass him the ball on the last series of the Dominique vs. Bird Shoot out A superstar must have the desire to be on the floor when the game is important.What I am saying is that I don't see that in Marvin... Not at UNC...I would have respected Marvin more if he would have bothered Roy during some of those big games than him sitting there quietly being a good team guy. Good team guys are rarely superstars.

Quote:

I would have respected Marvin more if he would have bothered Roy during some of those big games than him sitting there quietly being a good team guy. Good team guys are rarely superstars.
Since Marvin, a rookie, respected the decisions of his Hall-of-Fame-bound coach Roy Williams, head of (arguably) the most storied franchise in college basketball history, that's a knock on him?Man, you are seriously reaching here. Drop the Marvin vendetta already!

First of all, there is no single way to be a superstar. Kobe and TMac are both spoiled brats off the court. I am glad Marvin is not like them. Not to mention, TMac is a star, not a superstar. To sum up what you highlighted, TMac is a competitor who worked hard in the weight room to earn a spot. HOW IS THIS RELEVANT? Marvin worked as hard as anyone at UNC and will keep working hard in Atlanta. Nobody who knows him questions his work ethic. He is a hard player.Again, why can't he be a superstar like Duncan is? He is just as nice.Also, college is not the NBA, especially UNC. The reason Marvin didn't start isn't because he wasn't the best player. It's just the system. Good elder players are respected. Just like sometimes in the NBA, a player who has a huge contract will get alot of PT will start and get big minutes even if he's not that good. See JWill. It's been said before, but much like MJ, 20 years from now people might say Roy Williams is the only person who could ever hold Marvin Williams under 20 ppg.

• Premium Member

Hall of Fame Coach??What had Roy won?? Lost several times in the final four... Honestly if it were not for May, he wouldn't have won this time. I dare you to compare Marvin's 1 yr to Carmello's 1 yr...There's something about a star player. A good coach does not put a star player behind Jawad for LONG...

Quote:

I would have respected Marvin more if he would have bothered Roy during some of those big games than him sitting there quietly being a good team guy. Good team guys are rarely superstars.
You epitomize why american fundamentals are on the downfall and we can't seem to win an international competition anymore.American superstars are typically not team players.That does not mean that team players can not be superstars. See Tim Duncan, the best player in basketball.

Quote:

Hall of Fame Coach??What had Roy won?? Lost several times in the final four... Honestly if it were not for May, he wouldn't have won this time.
Roy will be in the Hall. Look at Boeheim, same deal. Lost in the FF a few times, then after he wins the big game, he's in the Hall. Just wait!

• Moderators

Is Diesel citing Tracy "I quit on the Magic and admitted it" McGrady as an example of a hard-nosed competitor who we want Marvin to be like? The kind that says, when the going gets tough I'll just quit playing and fake an injury?

"A good coach does not put a star player behind Jawad for LONG".....What makes Boeheim a good coach?...yet you question Roy?That is exactly what a good coach does when he trying to create a team atmosphere...trying to create a team out a bunch of great talent is hard....u don't strat bt benching seniors and captains for freshman.You are all over the place because u really don't have a clue of wwhat u r talking about.true he rode Mello......Roy won a championship with his best player coming off the bench...because he taught then how to be a team....if you give Marvin the number of oppotunities to score that Mello had.....he would have put Mello to shame.

• Premium Member

"He was not really interested in winning," she said. "He was just worried about his friend."

Said Williams: "Of course I wanted to win. But it's more important to have fun. Life's about having fun."

That's why he passed up the opportunity to play high school ball for Seattle power O'Dea, which is practically right across the street from the downtown-Seattle eye clinic where Gittens works as a bookkeeper.

She would've liked to have had his company on those hour-long ferry rides back and forth across Puget Sound every day. But he wanted to stay in Bremerton to play with his friends at the local public school. He didn't care that the team wasn't very good.

I don't expect you to understand Lascar but this is a part of his personality that has followed him throughout life thus far...

His competitiveness.

What Superstar doesn't want to win... at any time...

I've heard it said about MJ, that if it were Playing Cards, he would keep you up all night long until he won.

I think you have to have a competitiveness about yourself where you want to win...

• Premium Member

Roy has won just one and he won that one with Players he didn't recruit...

Quote:

Roy won a championship with his best player coming off the bench..
BS Swole.May was his best player and MAY proved it all year long. Regaurdless of what you saw in a pickup game... May was the guy posting up in the Illinois and Mich St. games. I didn't see Marvin doing anything. This is the problem.I haven't seen any instance of Marvin coming in a taking over a game (other than the Iowa St) game...

Quote:

What Superstar doesn't want to win... at any time...

I've heard it said about MJ, that if it were Playing Cards, he would keep you up all night long until he won.

I think you have to have a competitiveness about yourself where you want to win...

I don't know, back in the day people didn't find out about what a kid did when he WAS TEN YEARS OLD.

TEN ...

YEARS ...

OLD .

What I do know is that now he wants to win as bad as anyone out there. Tim Duncan wasn't even playing basketball at 10 years old, he was swimming. And while I don't know TD personally, I would imagine that he's not the kind of guy with a killer instinct off-court, always looking to beat everyone at everything. They're not all like that. I would imagine KG is, and TD isn't. That doesn't change the fact that TD has brought his team 3 rings, KG and TMac have none.

Personally I find it hilarious that you bash Williams for not running his mouth after months of bashing Bogut for running his mouth.