• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Day two blog

DrReality

There is an interesting interveiw with Mo Evans inbedded: They didn't come through but here is the link:

http://hawks.portspaces.com/hawksbasketblog

Hawks BasketBlog

<< Prev | Main

Training Camp 2008 - Day 2 Report

Posted by: Micah Hart on October 1, 2008 at 3:56PM EST

Day 2 of training camp saw a little bit less scrimmaging than Day 1 (and, I'm happy to report, no deleting issues with the camera), but I'm told there will be much more of that to come as camp heats up.

For those wanting more detailed breakdowns of how everyone looks, I hope to get more of them as we go, but it's hard to glean much from watching guys go through shooting drills. I did enjoy watching some of the big men drills they were doing today, which entailed assistant coach Jim Todd holding out a football pad and basically a lacrosse stick (to simulate the outstretched arm of a defender) in the post while the bigs established position and went through a series of offensive moves. It reminded me of the football-esque practices you used to hear about at Michigan State and Oklahoma State (I searched for a clip of it on YouTube to no avail).

That doesn't mean there weren't observations to be taken from the scrimmage today...

- The first scrimmage matched the starters (Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Al Horford, and Mike Bibby) against the second string, and the first unit killed it. In a five-minute running clock period, they piled up 26 points. It was an impressive showing of offensive basketball, with just about everyone chipping in. Coach Woodson was none too pleased with the effort of the bench, and told them so.

- I was impressed by Maurice Evans today. During the aforementioned scrimmage, Joe got a steal and took off down the court, with only Evans getting back on D to stop him from getting to the basket. Mo harrassed JJ into missing a layup, but no one else got back to help him out and Joe eventually scored. Evans was mad, and let his teammates know it was unacceptable. I asked him about it after practice, and I thought his answers spoke volumes. Count me in as someone who thinks Evans will have a positive impact on the team this season, on and off the court.

- Mike Bibby looks good. He isn't wearing any protective devices for any parts of his anatomy, and appears to move with the ease and economy of motion I remember from his days in Sacramento. His shot looks good too, as I watched him drain 3 after 3 during post-practice shooting drills. I've seen a lot of prognostications about the Hawks chances for the upcoming season (John Hollinger's came out yesterday, and he's not real keen on us - we'll show him!), and I think a healthy Bibby will go a long way towards proving guys like Hollinger wrong.

- Solomon Jones looked aggressive going to the hole, which was good to see. Solo's rep has always been more as a defensive guy, but if he wants to get on the court more this season he's going to have to show that he can make teams respect his game on the offensive end as well.

- Acie Law hit a nice jump shot in traffic. The more of those he can drop, the better chance he has of earning PT. Today was definitely a day won by the offenses, so I'm sure Coach Woodson will have defense on the brain during practice tomorrow.

- I spoke with Woody after practice, and amongst other things he praised the effort of rookie Othello Hunter. More from him later on...

Check out some photos from the action today after the jump...

• Admin
There is an interesting interveiw with Mo Evans inbedded: They didn't come through but here is the link:

http://hawks.portspaces.com/hawksbasketblog

Hawks BasketBlog

<< Prev | Main

Training Camp 2008 - Day 2 Report

Posted by: Micah Hart on October 1, 2008 at 3:56PM EST

Day 2 of training camp saw a little bit less scrimmaging than Day 1 (and, I'm happy to report, no deleting issues with the camera), but I'm told there will be much more of that to come as camp heats up.

For those wanting more detailed breakdowns of how everyone looks, I hope to get more of them as we go, but it's hard to glean much from watching guys go through shooting drills. I did enjoy watching some of the big men drills they were doing today, which entailed assistant coach Jim Todd holding out a football pad and basically a lacrosse stick (to simulate the outstretched arm of a defender) in the post while the bigs established position and went through a series of offensive moves. It reminded me of the football-esque practices you used to hear about at Michigan State and Oklahoma State (I searched for a clip of it on YouTube to no avail).

That doesn't mean there weren't observations to be taken from the scrimmage today...

- The first scrimmage matched the starters (Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Al Horford, and Mike Bibby) against the second string, and the first unit killed it. In a five-minute running clock period, they piled up 26 points. It was an impressive showing of offensive basketball, with just about everyone chipping in. Coach Woodson was none too pleased with the effort of the bench, and told them so.

- I was impressed by Maurice Evans today. During the aforementioned scrimmage, Joe got a steal and took off down the court, with only Evans getting back on D to stop him from getting to the basket. Mo harrassed JJ into missing a layup, but no one else got back to help him out and Joe eventually scored. Evans was mad, and let his teammates know it was unacceptable. I asked him about it after practice, and I thought his answers spoke volumes. Count me in as someone who thinks Evans will have a positive impact on the team this season, on and off the court.

- Mike Bibby looks good. He isn't wearing any protective devices for any parts of his anatomy, and appears to move with the ease and economy of motion I remember from his days in Sacramento. His shot looks good too, as I watched him drain 3 after 3 during post-practice shooting drills. I've seen a lot of prognostications about the Hawks chances for the upcoming season (John Hollinger's came out yesterday, and he's not real keen on us - we'll show him!), and I think a healthy Bibby will go a long way towards proving guys like Hollinger wrong.

- Solomon Jones looked aggressive going to the hole, which was good to see. Solo's rep has always been more as a defensive guy, but if he wants to get on the court more this season he's going to have to show that he can make teams respect his game on the offensive end as well.

- Acie Law hit a nice jump shot in traffic. The more of those he can drop, the better chance he has of earning PT. Today was definitely a day won by the offenses, so I'm sure Coach Woodson will have defense on the brain during practice tomorrow.

- I spoke with Woody after practice, and amongst other things he praised the effort of rookie Othello Hunter. More from him later on...

Check out some photos from the action today after the jump...

I am really looking forward to this season