• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Marvin or Childress capable of 'dominating' ?

HAWKS1986

If the answer is no. Then we should start consider trading one or both of these guys.

Chris Paul. Deron Williams. Dwight Howard. Ben Gordon. Luol Deng.

These are just a few players who have shown flashes of being dominant players.

I haven't seen it in Josh Childress, the 'most mature' of this young core.

Marvin is 'young', but as Hawks fans we need him to start dominating some games--NOW.. Not every game at this point, but if he is worth that #2 point, he needs to step his game up...SCore 40 vs. Milwaukee or 30 vs. the Pistons... give us some hope that you are getting better as a player.. And same thing for Childress.. he has played 'weak', but showed some flashes of brillance, but he was the #6 player in the draft a couple of years ago...

We aren't making the playoffs, but this is a big year for these guys... These guys aren't untouchable, and if a trade comes along that can make this team better, then the Hawks should consider it...

None of these young guys don't 'own' spots.. either produce or management have to find someone who can do on a more frequent basis.

I think Marvin definitely will be. The guy's played 90 NBA games in his life, he's FAR from a developed player. I think by the time he's comfortable, he'll be taking his man off the dribble and to the hole all game long, and getting a ton of free throws in the process.

As for Childress, no he will not, it's just not his game. He's a glue guy who does all the little things, hits the open shots, gets the key boards, etc...

Yes it would be nice if Marvin would start dominating now, but we don't get to decide. If Marvin becomes a dominating player, we'll be ok, even if it takes another year or two to happen. I think that Marvin will show his worth before the year's over. Much like speedy, he missed a good bit of time, which threw his rythm off, and he's been playing with injury since then.

Deron Williams has looked awesome this year, but he sure didn't last year. And last year, he was a year older than Marvin is this year. We can't be impatient with Marvin.

I still think someone will have to go at some point of the Chill-Marvin-Smith-Shelden combo, but I certainly don't think it's Marvin. I used to think it was Chill who would be the odd man out, but after seeing his hustle and impact this year, I'm not so sure any more.

Well I feel with Marvin, it's way too early. Two things jump out at me. He can shoot (had some bad streaks though) with good shooting form, and is also extremely athletic and then lastly he has the want-to in him. If you have those three qualities, you can be very good in this league. I don't think we need to start him because I think that puts too much pressure on him. And I think that's one of the reasons for his struggle this year. But we must stick to our original mindset on it being a 3 year development for him.

We should start Childress in his place (i don't know why we havent already since Chill plays better) and let him come in as a backup with less stress. Eventually as he develops he can overtake Chill or whoever on the scoring front. We just need Marvin to develop as a scorer. That's what we need from him in the near future.

And Chill I think we all underrate. He can do everything and do it well and plays the right way. He shoots a bit funny but he does hit his shots. Just doesnt look for his own shot enough.

Quote:

I think Marvin definitely will be. The guy's played 90 NBA games in his life, he's FAR from a developed player. I think by the time he's comfortable, he'll be taking his man off the dribble and to the hole all game long, and getting a ton of free throws in the process.

As for Childress, no he will not, it's just not his game. He's a glue guy who does all the little things, hits the open shots, gets the key boards, etc...

Yes it would be nice if Marvin would start dominating now, but we don't get to decide. If Marvin becomes a dominating player, we'll be ok, even if it takes another year or two to happen. I think that Marvin will show his worth before the year's over. Much like speedy, he missed a good bit of time, which threw his rythm off, and he's been playing with injury since then.

Deron Williams has looked awesome this year, but he sure didn't last year. And last year, he was a year older than Marvin is this year. We can't be impatient with Marvin.

I still think someone will have to go at some point of the Chill-Marvin-Smith-Shelden combo, but I certainly don't think it's Marvin. I used to think it was Chill who would be the odd man out, but after seeing his hustle and impact this year, I'm not so sure any more.

I did not think that we would trade Marvin, but my opinion is starting to be swayed. I think the absence of Smoove and how much it is impacting the team gives creedence to the notion that Smoove needs to stay. I think it will depend greatly whether BK stays or not. Don't think he'll trade his number one pick. The next guy might not have that same opinion.

• Premium Member

I sincerely don't feel that any of these players we drafted recently are capable of dominating an NBA game. Strangely enough, it was JSmith who seemed to have the most impact on the floor. I never would have expected that. Smoove is capable of blocking a fastbreak layup, keeping the ball inbounds, and then launching the break himself and finishing on the other end with either a dunk or pass. Marv brings athletecism and decent shooting but he's not a good passer and he's kind of a weak rebounder. Right now, his mentality doesn't lend itself to him being a dominant player. Maybe that'll change in the future. I personally like Childress' game. The outside shooting isn't really there but he brings instant energy and surprisingly good interior play for a guy his size. That's kind of a strange question though. I always thought that BK was drafting supporting cast players in hopes of bringing in a superstar through free agency. It's hard for me to imagine him realistically thinking that any of his draft picks so far would be dominant players in the league.

I am still leaning towards thinking that Smoove is the only one of our young players that has a shot at being dominant. He just has to play to his strengths and avoid his weaknesses. Also he has to work on keeping his mind in the game. I doubt he will ever achieve all that but he'll still probably be the most game influential of our young players and is therefore the last of the bunch that I'd trade.

Marvin will probably be able to outscore Smoove consistently in just a few months and should average 18-20ppg during his prime years. I think he'll be a top3-5 SF in the league, in the Sean Marion/Rashard Lewis kinda range, but still not dominant. Trading him right now would be unlikely to bring equal value but maybe we could get a player that fits our team better like Channing Frye, etc.

Childress and Shelden are great players to have on a team we just have to forget about where they were drafted. I think Childress has pretty good trade value now so I hope BK is looking for good offers. I'd like to see us play better so we can trade a few assets for ones that fit better. Salim for one of the point guard prospects we've missed the last few years. Childress for a 2007 pick that might get us a center, especially if combined with our Indy pick.

He will be the one who gets traded. He is the best all-around player of the bunch. (maybe I am slighting JSmoove). Chillz is my favorite player on the Hawks roster along with Smith. I love their energy and all-around play. So, it just stands to reason that if they are our best players they would be the guys we try to trade, not like we are trying to win or anything.

Guest Walter

Quote:

He will be the one who gets traded. He is the best all-around player of the bunch. (maybe I am slighting JSmoove). Chillz is my favorite player on the Hawks roster along with Smith. I love their energy and all-around play. So, it just stands to reason that if they are our best players they would be the guys we try to trade, not like we are trying to win or anything.

...on our roster. As such I would rather not trade him. That, JJ and JS being "untouchable" and nearly so respectively IMO, and MW's "potential" providing him value (but my fear he would not reach it) is why I pushed hard, so early for trading MW last year. Unfortunately, unless MW's value increases (in which case we may then want to reexamine the 2, Sf lineup with JS and MW) he won't bring back near his "potential" value in return and we may be inclined to trade Childress. I would rather not trade any of these 3 this season. If anyone, trade Lue or ZaZa if retaining a top 3 pick is being considered.

W

I agree. Childress is one of the few young guys on our team that I feel has an identity. He is a an absolutely terrific 6th man at the 2 and 3 positions. He can start at either position, and he's incredibly efficient.

I'm not sure both MW and Smoove will be here long-term, but I hope Childress is. And yes, I did advocate trading Childress for Marcus Williams. That's not because I didn't like Childress. Rather, I thought Marcus would fill a more definite long-term and short-term need.

I hope Childress is here for a long time. He would make any team better.

I don't believe MW will ever be "dominant". I think he can be a very good player though. He will probably score 20 ppg for a couple of years with pretty high efficiency.