• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horfords offense

exodus

I think you hit it right on some points. Some Hawksquawkers...relax I don't think Exodus is bashing Horford but rather critiquing his game at this point in his career. I agree that Horford need and should shoot more 15,16, and 17 footers if he is to improve his offensive numbers. I think he is up to the challenge and he said it himself that he can knock down the open jumpers in last night postgame interview.

• 3 months later...

Quote:

to make a long story short he needs to start taking those 15-18 footers when he is left open. Can he make them consistently? I don't know.
Some guys become very good at this shot through practice (amare,Boozer) some don't (Howard, Bogut). I dont know how Horford will do but i know he needs to start taking those shots consistently. Whether he makes them or not at this point is irrelevant. He can't be much worse than Smith.

I wrote this back in November. So lets see how he is doing.

Currently he is shooting 40% on his jumpers. For comparison Boozer is shooting 44.5% and Amare is shooting 46%. ideally i would like to see his percentage a little higher but i am encouraged so far. In the last 10 games he is 7/14 on his midrange jumpers.

One thing i have noticed is that sometimes he shoots too quickly. It isn't like guys are running out on him but he will put his shot up quickly when he really isn't balanced. When he is balanced he shoots them much better. If he would just hold it a little longer and get his feet set he would do better.

He hasn't driven very often. When i say drive i am not talking about receiving a pass on a pick and roll. I am talking about taking someone off the dribble. Sometimes when he has had the ball up top and tried to drive he has either turned it over or driven in deep and tried to bank in a jump hook when he didn't have an angle. When he has been on the baseline he has had better luck because there hasn't been any help coming.

he hasn't been trying to back bigger guys down lately and i think that is a big reason he is shooting 60% this month. he was driving me nuts with that back in november.

I would like to see him shoot his fadeaway more often. I am not talking about a 15 footer. But when he drives and gets cut off he can spin into that fadeaway in close and it would be tough to stop. he has done it occassionally with good success.

I still think he is too reliant on that jump hook. I am glad he has one but it isn't that effective against a bigger player that is crowding him. He needs space to get it off and he sometimes puts it up when he doesn't have space.

overall i am encouraged that he can be a decent scorer in time. He basically has to relearn how to score because he can't overpower guys in the pros. However i believe he can develop the skills to be a decent scorer unlike Shelden who really can't.

It should also be noted that his improvement on free throws has been pretty strong. he is up to 71% on the season which is pretty good considering he shot 55% in november and 62% in January.

• 2 years later...

to make a long story short he needs to start taking those 15-18 footers when he is left open. Can he make them consistently? I don't know. Some guys become very good at this shot through practice (amare,Boozer) some don't (Howard, Bogut). I dont know how Horford will do but i know he needs to start taking those shots consistently. Whether he makes them or not at this point is irrelevant. He can't be much worse than Smith.

Watching Horford right now i just had to bump this. I made this post after Horford's first month as a rookie. If someone told me that he would be shooting in the 55% on his 10-20 foot jumpers i would have said they were on crack but that is what he is doing right now.

Realistically the best case scenario for a big man shooting jumpers is 45-48%. Watching him shoot much better than that is just bizarre.

Watching Horford right now i just had to bump this. I made this post after Horford's first month as a rookie. If someone told me that he would be shooting in the 55% on his 10-20 foot jumpers i would have said they were on crack but that is what he is doing right now.

Realistically the best case scenario for a big man shooting jumpers is 45-48%. Watching him shoot much better than that is just bizarre.

I'm impressed that you'd dig this thread up as you were, as I saw it, the biggest critic and often Diesel-like toward Marvin in your hatred for Horford so I gotta give you props for being flexible about Horford and changing your opinion of him. In your defense though he is night and day better now than he was as a rookie and one can only wonder how much better he'll get.

I think a lot of it can be attributed to rookie jitters and last night a lot of it probably had to do with the "awe factor" of playing against a guy with the legacy of a Ben Wallace. In the 4th quarter against Gray I believe that he was simply looking to work inside out and get our guys (mainly Salim) open 3 pt looks. Had Gray been the guy guarding him the whole game I bet he would have taken it to him aggressively. I also think that with him being a rookie he might be a little afraid to be the leader on the court that he was at Florida. If he was demanding the ball and our offense worked through him in the high post I have a feeling he would be able to utilize his skillset to a much higher level.

How about that put back dunk he had in the 4th last night? That was big time impressive. I'm not sure if Horford can become a special player, but he is certainly already good and I think he can become very good. I'm not sure if you were watching the game with the Bulls announcers as I was, but those guys are very respectable and fair about the other team (like our own announcers are) and they mentioned a couple of times how they really feel like Horford (and the Hawks as a whole) need a real true center in order to make the jump to the next level. Maybe Horford really does belong at PF with a bigger guy at the 5. At this point I am thinking daily about the impact of moving Smoove for Beidrins might be. Together Horford and Shelden could play 95% of the minutes at PF and have a true center next to them with Beidrins and an almost true center in ZaZa. Until that time comes when Horford can really take full advantage of his speed and strength compared to most PFs we won't really get a good indication of the player he can be.

Damn I am glad that we didn't do something stupid like move Smoove for Beans and time has now proven that Shelden has no business in this league either so it looks like I can eat a little crow here as well. I do have to take some credit for saying that I think Horford can become very good!

I'm impressed that you'd dig this thread up as you were, as I saw it, the biggest critic and often Diesel-like toward Marvin in your hatred for Horford so I gotta give you props for being flexible about Horford and changing your opinion of him. In your defense though he is night and day better now than he was as a rookie and one can only wonder how much better he'll get.

Hating a player and hating the way they play are two different things. I hated for years (except this year lol) watching Smith shoot 3s and i still hate watching him lead the break but i don't hate him as a player.

I hated watching Al try to back down bigger, stronger guys which he doesn't do much of any more. i knew the key to his offense would be the mid-range jumper. I could have never guessed how good he would get at it though. I still think he needs to try and beat guys off the dribble more often but it is hard to complain about 17 ppg shooting 60%.

• Like 1