• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

10 things I like UNCONDITIONALLY that BK has done

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

BK most certainly hasn't done everything wrong or right. My take is that he has done enøugh wrong to put championship contention out of our reach in the future with this team(wihtout a serious overhaul), but I acknowledge many things done right. Below is a list.

In (or near) order of occurance.

1) Realize we must gut and rebuild this team

2) draft Diaw at 21. Great, mid-late 1st draft selection.

3) Sign S. Jax cheap and outright

4) Trade S. Jax for Al Harrington

5) Draft Josh Smith @ 17

6) Sign ZaZa period and cheaply

7) Trade for and sign JJ

8) Pick up Estiban Batista on the cheap, good foreign scouting

9) Draft Salim as an early 2nd rd pick

10) Not shaking Belkin's hand!

There are other decisions I like conditionally such as the trade of JT which had to be done. I bring this up because I think the majority of us believe BK has made good and bad decisions regardless of where we think he ultimately falls on the infallibility or fallibility spectrum. My list involves many of the more minor selections which is why I think his major decisions or the sum of his decisions reflected in the team makeup leave future championship contention to be desired.

For those of you who support BK, especially KB whom I have never heard say a negative word about BK or one of his decisions, please list 5, 10, whatever number of BK decisions you unconditionally do not support. If others who find themselves seriously doubting BK's plan want to add their top list please do so.

W

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a BK supporter because i feel if anything he has not strapped the team preventing possible future championship hopes. even if he is replaced, the team is in excellent shape capwise and young talent wise...

but the things i disagreed on are the following:

-the portland trade should have brought something else

-john edwards gets a million? horrible

-letting udonis get away sort of

-maybe one less pick towards phoenix in jj trade if it would have been possible..maybe make it a 2nd rounder

-should have dropped or used delk earlier.

Quote:

-the portland trade should have brought something else

Like what? All we traded in that deal was Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Theo Ratliff, and Dan Dickau. The Hawks got rid of a ton of salary in that deal, got Rasheed Wallace, and then basically flipped Rasheed into a pick that was used on Josh Smith.

Quote:

-john edwards gets a million? horrible

This was nothing more than a shot in the dark with a guy who had played well in summer league competition with the Pacers. His salary isn't preventing the Hawks from doing anything, and he can be dropped relatively easy.

Quote:

-letting udonis get away sort of

Pete Babcock is the GM that let Udonis get away because he wouldn't carry more than 12 guaranteed contracts on the roster and wouldn't stash players on the injured list. Billy actually offered Udonis a deal last offseason that was more than what Miami offered, but Udonis decided to stay in Miami.

Quote:

-maybe one less pick towards phoenix in jj trade if it would have been possible..maybe make it a 2nd rounder

For the life of me, I still can't quite figure out why people think the Hawks gave up so much for Joe Johnson. Hell, Phoenix didn't even use the 21st pick in the draft.

Quote:

-should have dropped or used delk earlier.

What difference would that have made? The only thing playing Tony Delk would have done was cut into Salim Stoudamire's playing time and development. The Hawks would have still been a 26 win team.

KB is right, though. BK was trying to find value where the team needed it most. A 7-footer showed him something, so he signed him to a tiny deal. If he'd given him 500,000 for 1 year, and he'd had a good year, you can bet he would demand a 6 mil per year deal the next year.

Hawks fans once wanted Pete Babcock to do the same thing with Leon Smith. They wanted Pete to lock him up for multiple years before he'd proven anything because Leon had shown a glimmer. Leon was better than Edwards, but if you factor in that he was a headcase, he was worse. I remember the time when fans like you were screaming over the fact we might lose Leon if he weren't locked up.

Anyway, KB makes several good points, and all you can do is nit-pick one of them. I think what's pathetic is that you seem to follow him around in these threads. Every time he defends BK, you are right there to say "Look how pathetic he is!" Quit sniffing his butt and find another gig.

Ok now Kb give me a fckng break. you're taking the time to bash MY points?! I'm a BK supporter but the name of this thread is name a few things you disagreed with him on and I did. This is NOT thread for you to come to his rescue. Fckng ridiculous KB to come and bash basically my points when i support BK. This sounds like some blind loyalty like your politics seem to be.

from this point forward, i will never type the words "i agree with kb" even if i do so as not align myself with you...you have gone off the deep end officially. this and your calling people names and threatening them...psychotic my friend.

There are plenty of legitamate reasons to criticize BK but Edwards isn't one of them. He was one of the only guys on the team that would actually try to stop guys in the lane.

His mid-range shot is better than Zaza and his shot blocking is so much better than Zaza it is a joke. Zaza blocked only 39 shots on the season playing 2400 minutes. Edwards blocked 15 shots playing only 300 minutes.

$1 million a year for 2 years is fine for him.

I agree, when I see Edwards game I see alot of talent, just not alot of results..He usually got in quick foul trouble which limited his game..If he can add weight and get stronger I think he can be a pretty good player..IMO he is alot more talented that Este or Zaza, just way too weak.

They had to bring in someone. Remember that they have a minimum number of roster spots that they have to fill. I think it is 14 or 15. If they didn't bring in Edwards they would have to bring in another stiff and pay him the minimum.

Like Tmac says Edwards is weak but he does have some talent. I was watching him in warmups once and was really surprised at how well coordinated he is. He was doing a bunch of crazy layups, just goofing off, but showed the type of athletic ability that you don't normally see from 7 foot stiffs.

Only one of those moves would have made a difference. First, I have to correct you. Nazr was traded for Joel Przybilla, and that trade got rid of Nazr's $5 million per season that ended this past season.

The only one that would have made a difference would have been to draft Chris Duhon.

Both Edwards talent and his contract are so negligible that you guys shouldn't waste your time talking about it. It doesn't matter in the short term or in the long term. He shouldn't make the top 100 list under any thread, good or bad.

BK made any mistakes which were much more relevant. However, he did many more good things.

Here are my good ones:

1) Realize we must gut and rebuild this team (Copied from Walter)

2) Picking up restricted free agent JJ for practically nothing. Diaw was going to France soon. Suns other 1st rounder is useless. Whatever the next years pick is it doesn't add up to JJ. After 23 drafts since Dominique we found a player who is remotely in his league. For the morons, Suns clearly said they would have matched.

3) Picking up Josh Smith at 18.

4) Signed SJackson for nothing and turned him into Al and turn that into_______. Thats making something out of nothing.

5) Dumping Rahim, Theo and Diaw'w large contracts.

6) Unable to pick up a few big contracts in the summers. Almost all of them turned out to be cap killers for the teams the signed with. Its good to be lucky then good sometimes.

7) Not picking up mediocre players with large contracts in the Al trade despite obvious short term gain and personal benefit. Hats off for looking up for the team and not for looking good for his next job.

8) Picking up Zaza for cheap.

9) Picking up Claxton for cheap.

10)Draft Selim.

At the end of the day, because BK so skillfully let Pryz walk for nothing all we received for Nazr was a 2nd..His 5 million dollar a year salary was well in line with his ability and would not have been any burden on the Hawks..BK screwed up..Just say it..It will make you feel better..

Quote:

Ok now Kb give me a fckng break. you're taking the time to bash MY points?! I'm a BK supporter but the name of this thread is name a few things you disagreed with him on and I did.

Actually, the name of the thread is listing things that we LIKE that BK has done. Nice try, though! smile.gif

Quote:

At the end of the day, because BK so skillfully let Pryz walk for nothing all we received for Nazr was a 2nd..His 5 million dollar a year salary was well in line with his ability and would not have been any burden on the Hawks..BK screwed up..Just say it..It will make you feel better..

Saying Nazr was worth $5 million is debatable. If I'm rebuilding and looking to build a team Nazr would not make my cut either. He has some decent tools and played ok with Duncan this past year but I'd rather have the capspace personally.

As for Edwards some of you act like $1 million per year is a crap load of money. It's peanuts when you are rounding out a roster and need bigs who have some potential. Even the Hawks coaches say that if he can put it together he can contribute. Will he? Who knows but the fact is the talent is there. I'd rather pay him $1 million and gamble then pay Nazr $5 million. Just my opinion.

Also for those of you bitching about Duhon we all know hindsight is 20/20. If have the knack to always pick the best player available in the NBA Draft at all times I'll send you my life's savings for access to your mock drafts.