• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mark Bradley: Who are the true Atlanta Hawks?

KB21

• Premium Member

Quote:

I believe that where there is smoke, there is fire. I don't see anyway possible that Mike and Billy will both be back. One of them has to go if they clearly aren't on speaking terms.

Even in one of the articles I pasted on here, Mike was quoted saying that if the owners or players want him back, he will be back. He said nothing about Billy Knight wanting him back.

That relationship certainly seems beyond repair. IMO, that is why you should never hire a close friend to work for you. A bit of advise that I got when I decided to go into the medical profession. I was told that when I start my clinic, never hire someone that I cannot fire.

KB whoever told you about hiring practices go it right. I hired a friend around 20 years ago and almost lost my business over it. Friends and business don't mix, it's like water and oil.

I will have to say that I was impressed with Woody in the playoffs. The GM's job is to bring in talent that meshes with the coaches style of play. I was kind of disapointed a little in Bibby's play in the first round BUT we would not have made the playoffs without him.

This offseason we need a veteran post player/power forward that can come in and mix it up and a shooter off the bench. Jeremy Richardson seems to have the mentality to be a good shooter but apparently Woody didn't think so by not using him more. David Anderson IS NOT the answer, he is another 6-11 shooting guard, we need beef, not a straw!

I kind of think BK has shot himself with lack lack of marketability. Bottom line is you have to communicate with fans and the media, you are in the entertainment business!

I think this offseason is going to prove to be one of the most interesting ones in Atlanta Hawks history, despite us not having any draft picks. Lots and lots of big decisions to be made here, I just hope the ASG has its crap together and gets it right!

KB, I hope you are right about Gearon not wanting to play GM-jr. But the fact remains that Gearon blocked the firing of Woodson. As I outlined earlier, I hope that the blocking was done due to a long-term idea that the Spirit have about the FO and coach. Maybe one of the critical problems with the team is that BK is media-phobic and Gearon has to take the role of team spokesman. Thus, he comes off sounding like a GM want-to-be, when in reality he's echoing what BK has told him behind doors.

Ah, I am coming up with excuses on top of speculation. Ultimately, I would like to see the ASG go ahead and make whatever changes they are going to make and stick by those changes. The GM/Coach dynamic is messed up and needs to be fixed. It would be nice from a fans perspective to have this settled sooner rather than later. I think the organization would also benefit from a quick decission as well.

Let's just hope that whatever they decide to do, they do it quickly and let's really pray that we don't end up with a Mark Cuban style owner/GM. I'm happy with the owner part but stay the hell away from being the GM please.

Well, the thing is, I highly doubt there is a GM in the NBA, the NFL, or MLB that has the power to fire the head coach or manager without getting permission from ownership to do so. In fact, this happened in Memphis last year. Jerry West wanted to fire Mike Fratello in August 2006, and Michael Heisley wouldn't allow Jerry to pull the trigger. Jerry finally got approval to fire him in December of 2006.

Mitch Kupchak in LA can't make a coaching decision move without the approval of Jerry Buss. I doubt John Paxson was allowed to fire Scott Skiles this past season without getting the approval of Jerry Reinsdorf.

Sekou is such a doofus. "He who hesitates is lost" is attributable to Cato, the Roman senator. (It's probably about his long-standing desire to invade Carthage.) What is this world coming to when our sportswriters don't know the classics?

• Moderators

Quote:

Sekou is such a doofus. "He who hesitates is lost" is attributable to Cato, the Roman senator. (It's probably about his long-standing desire to invade Carthage.) What is this world coming to when our sportswriters don't know the classics?

It took him longer to type that explanation than it would have to google it.

The problem as I see it, is that there are viable head coach options out there right now. If we re-sign Woody, we will be ready to can his ass mid-season and end up with a Stotts type guy again, and no one wants that. We would be stuck in a position of hiring because we have to, and not necessarily getting the best coach for this team.

I just don't see this small run we made, really changing the fact that Woody can't prepare these guys and get them ready to play. Look at our home vs road record. That should tell you all you need to know about our coaching situation. X's and O's are good, but that isn't all that a head coach is responsible for.

Of course, when was the last time ASG made a sound decision?

Quote:

Well, the thing is, I highly doubt there is a GM in the NBA, the NFL, or MLB that has the power to fire the head coach or manager without getting permission from ownership to do so. In fact, this happened in Memphis last year. Jerry West wanted to fire Mike Fratello in August 2006, and Michael Heisley wouldn't allow Jerry to pull the trigger. Jerry finally got approval to fire him in December of 2006.

Mitch Kupchak in LA can't make a coaching decision move without the approval of Jerry Buss. I doubt John Paxson was allowed to fire Scott Skiles this past season without getting the approval of Jerry Reinsdorf.

Of course you have to go to ownership about firing as a GM, but the fact is that ownership should back you up as a GM. If not, then just fire BK at that point. As a GM you have to have the full support of your ownership or you're hamstrung. This is my point actually, if the ASG didn't go along with the firing earlier, I hope it is because they think they have a better option in play for the summer. If not, then they really are spinning their collective wheels.

I don't think there is any other option that re-signing Woody.

Sure it's a possiblity our team can continue to dissapoint but you have to go on the side assuming that it was a step in the right direction. We've improved our win total every year and our team has to have some new found confindence after that series. Heck it could grow even more if Boston goes all the way.

Making these young players get used to a new coach and a new system seems like a big mistake