• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hoopinion: Some Stray Thoughts On Perspective

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

In what may be turning into a recurring feature here, a new post inspired by comments to a previous post.

While offline most of the weekend (but, as ever, thinking about the relevant issues), I'm currently wondering if a more disciplined approach to the relatively minor summertime day-to-day issues involving the Atlanta Hawks might result in a more appropriate and interesting tone of voice for the blog.

For example, with regard to the biggest issues facing the team in the 2010-11 season...

• I don't know exactly what Larry Drew's offense will look like or which players will (and which players will not) benefit from it.
  • I don't know if implementing a less extreme and rigid defensive philosophy will mitigate the team's perimeter defensive shortcomings.
  • I don't know if Jeff Teague can play point guard in the NBA.
Because such vital questions are unresolved and likely to remain so for months, frustration over the lack of a clear, long-term approach to constructing a roster takes on a greater importance than it perhaps should, especially with regard to the short-term, on-court success of the team; a situation perhaps exacerbated by the long-term goals of this blog which themselves seem to necessitate, in the short-term, producing a certain (and consistent) volume of work about a very narrow subject. That's no excuse for sometimes confusing cleverness for substance or failing to write through equivocation to produce a nuanced thought. That it isn't easy is, I hope, as much an indication of the potential value of the work (within an admittedly narrow context) as my own limitations.

Either way, less overtly personal content will return shortly.

View the full article