insider found on Spree flop

Boondocks

In reply to:

The Bizarre Spree Chronicles

by Chad Ford

Where to begin? Where to begin?

The ongoing Latrell Sprewell-Knicks feud turned from surreal to bizarre Monday on several different fronts.

Should we start with his unauthorized press conference that he skipped? (This isn't practice Spree.)

Should we discuss his $40 million lawsuit against the New York Post for running a story that claimed he broke his hand in a fight? (That was Spree's real jab.)

Or maybe the spotlight should be on Knicks president Scott Layden, who suspended Spree Monday after learning that Spree took his hand splint off two days early. (Memo to Layden: Let it go before James Dolan lets you go.)

Wait . . . this just in. There may be a problem brewing in New York.

"We are very disappointed that we have to take these steps with Latrell, but his actions with regard to his rehabilitation have left us no choice," Layden said in a statement on Monday. "It is essential that Latrell follow the rehabilitation program developed for him by our medical and training staffs so his injury heals and he gets back in playing shape as soon as possible, and to date, he has not done that."

Wasn't it Layden who told reporters over the weekend that he wasn't giving any more Spree updates?

And what happened to Spree's "contrite" statement in which he took personal responsibility for his actions? Here it is folks.

"Everybody's pointed the finger at me and said look at what I've done since I've been here; look at them and what they've done," Spree told the New York Post, referring to Layden and the Garden executive Steve Mills. "You've all dug up my past. Look at Scott's track record since he's been here."

Coach choker versus team choker. It's almost too ugly to be true.

You almost wonder whether Layden is smarter than he comes off here. Perhaps Spree's right. Maybe Layden's pulling a classic "wag the dog" strategy by focusing the media on Spree and off a team that looks like a train wreck with Spree let alone with out him.

So where are we? Spree was suspended for just one preseason game. Layden said he'd like to meet with Spree to discuss reinstatement on Wednesday. Spree said he still wants to play for the Knicks and, in a bit of a shocker, said his hand is ahead of schedule on the rehab and he should be ready to go in the next two weeks. Something has to give and Spree is ready to press the issue.

"I'm just at the point where it's like, hey, suspend me and tell me not to come around," Spree said. "But don't tell me to come around at 3 o'clock when you know the team has practiced at 10:30 or so and you just don't want me around the players. I think that's unfair.I think at this point, they either have to let me start coming back or they just have to tell me to stay away."

Can there be a reconciliation? "Yeah, I would hope so," Spree said. "But how long has it been? I don't know if they're trying to make that so. I think they need to start communicating with me. They're not doing anything to make it better. I don't think they have to apologize. Just stop keeping me away from my teammates."

Others aren't so sure. N.Y. Daily News columnist Mike Lupica writes that it's time for the Knicks to make a decision.

"Here is a bulletin for the people running the Knicks now at the Comedy Garden, James Dolan and Steve Mills and Scott Layden: If they are this desperate to get rid of Sprewell, then get rid of him. Trade him now, and be happy with whatever you can get for him. Don't fine him for his finger, don't suspend him from preseason games, don't tell him to go away because he's been bad once too often. Or before the Knicks ever play a game this season, they will officially become the kind of joke organization the Nets used to be."

The N.Y. Times' Selena Roberts also has her doubts. "In a town where Spree Love is epidemic, the general manager who stares without blinking is acting without thinking. He cannot win this fight, not against a player who is as savvy as Sprewell. No one is as ambidextrous as Spree, able to act carelessly with one hand, while grabbing forgiveness with the other."

LMAO, man this is getting way out of hand over a pinkie. I guess the NYK want to pin their loosing season on Spree before it even starts. Truly sad how a company can screw over a once proud franchise by refusing to rebuild and adding more overpaid pieces.

I only feel sorry for Dice..

ps.weaseldom, is this the entire insider? I found this on a NBA forum.