• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stoudamire Interview

Vesper

Stoudamire 'at my best with the ball in my hands'

Published on: 09/16/07

For much of the offseason Hawks guard Salim Stoudamire admitted that he wasn't "answering his phone or talking to anybody" in an effort to clear his mind in preparation for his third, and most crucial, NBA season.

AJC Hawks beat writer Sekou Smith recently reached Stoudamire.

JOEY IVANSCO / AJC

Hawks guard Salim Stoudamire enters the third and final year of his contract having averaged 8.7 points and 18.6 minutes per game over his first two seasons in the league.

Q. You've been the hardest player of all to get in touch with this summer. Where have you been?

A. Well, I've been in Atlanta the past month. I was in Tucson before that for summer school. And I also went to Jamaica, to Negril, just to be away from everything and get my mind clear and to be around some true positivity.

Q. You're back now in workouts before training camp begins next month. Are you positive about where you stand and your role on this team?

A. I definitely am. I came to the conclusion that I'm a necessity and as long as I'm putting in the work and keeping my game right and displaying that to everybody, good things will happen. I don't think I had that mentality the past two years. I think I always tried to control things that were uncontrollable, and that caused things to go into disarray. Now, I'm just letting the cards fall where they may because there is no reason to be stressed in life, period.

Q. You and Hawks coach Mike Woodson have had a well-documented rocky relationship in your first two NBA seasons. Have you two had a chance to sit down and smooth things out?

A. Absolutely. I've definitely tried to build that relationship and open up the lines of communication. I'd say our relationship is the best it's ever been. He even comes out of his way to speak to me now, which is a nice change to the relationship we had before.

Q. What was it like before?

A. We never talked before. It's not like I was acting like an angel either. I'm an emotional player and a perfectionist, so I think the frowning and facial expressions were possibly taken the wrong way.

Q. Did not having to worry about what type of work environment you'd be returning to allow you to attack your offseason training with more vigor and just focus on that task for a change?

A. That's never been a problem for me. I hope people realize that there's not a guy on this team that isn't a total gym rat. We spend more time than people ever know working on our games. Me, I just go in and do whatever is necessary to improve, whatever I feel in my heart that day is most important. This summer, it really wasn't just about basketball for me. It was about myself, some time to do some introspection, look at myself as a whole and doing some things to rediscover my passion for what life has to offer, as well as basketball.

Q. It's almost like a summer theme now for you and your teammates, this idea that you needed to mature beyond just the game. Some fans, as you might expect, get nervous when they hear guys aren't locked in a gym somewhere shooting 5,000 jumpers a day. Can you understand those concerns?

A. Of course. But we've spent the past two years working like crazy. Things don't go the way you want them to just because you're working like that. There's obviously more to all this than just working hard. Every team in the league works hard. You always hear veterans talk about being prepared mentally and the more time you spend in the league the more sense that makes. I was preparing mentally all summer. I just wanted to get myself in a good space mentally and emotionally to tackle the challenge we all have in front of us if we're going to realize our collective goals.

Q. For two years now the Hawks have experimented with you at point guard, with varying degrees of success. Is that lab experiment over and are you glad?

A. I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't say that at all. And I think it depends on what kind of point guard you want me to be, your point guard or the kind I should be, which is a scoring point guard. I think we're in a different time now. It used be the era where people wanted pure distributors, guys that were set-up men and scored when necessary. Now you see teams playing with guys who are aggressive scorers that use their ability to create shots not just for themselves but also for everybody on the floor. I think I'm capable of playing either way.

Q. So you're comfortable playing the point as well as shooting guard?

A. I feel I'm at my best when the ball is in my hands, period.

Q. Playing without Joe Johnson for the last six weeks of the season could be seen as both a blessing and a curse. Was it beneficial for you in that it allowed you to play more minutes and step up in crucial situations without him?

A. I don't care what anybody says, I think if we had him we would have had a shot at making the playoffs. So that was the only negative thing. But with him out we did get a chance to take crucial shots and fight through some tough situations that required all of us to check ourselves to make sure we were capable of rising to the occasion. So as bad as it was not having him, it did assist us in the bigger scheme of things.

Q. So where do you fit now in what is easily the deepest backcourt rotation since you've been with the team?

A. It depends on how it's orchestrated. I can fit in any system. It just depends on how it's orchestrated, I've heard we're going to get up and down and shoot more [3-pointers], and that definitely suits my game.

Q. Do you feel added pressure to showcase what you can do, knowing that this is the last year of your deal?

A. No. There's no added pressure. Actually, it's sort of weird. The first two years I felt much more pressure than I do now. The first two years and the experience of having gone through all that have definitely prepared me for this day. I'm gritting my teeth, ready to go and ready to release the lion.

Quote:

Q. It's almost like a summer theme now for you and your teammates, this idea that you needed to mature beyond just the game. Some fans, as you might expect, get nervous when they hear guys aren't locked in a gym somewhere shooting 5,000 jumpers a day. Can you understand those concerns?

A. Of course. But we've spent the past two years working like crazy. Things don't go the way you want them to just because you're working like that. There's obviously more to all this than just working hard. Every team in the league works hard. You always hear veterans talk about being prepared mentally and the more time you spend in the league the more sense that makes. I was preparing mentally all summer. I just wanted to get myself in a good space mentally and emotionally to tackle the challenge we all have in front of us if we're going to realize our collective goals.

I never thought something Salim Stoudamire said would help me understand Marvin Williams a little better but it did. These guys have been losing alot and I do think it is important to get your mind in the right place for the upcoming season. Besides, these guys are the NBA veterans now not me, at this point they should know what is best for them as people and on the court.

Unlike some people I believe there is a place for Salim on this team. He is now an experienced player in the league who if used right can be a great weapon off the bench. You cannot discount experience in any professional sport. With Acie Law on the team now it allows Acie to play the point and Salim to be a scoreer. It also allows Salim to guard the point and Acie the two. It is a long season with injuries and players not playing well. At some point every player on the Hawks (including Salim and Solomon) will get there chance on the floor it is up to them if they can stay there.

Of course someone will say I just don't see the minutes for Solomon and Salim. I'll just say to them look at last season and rethink your mindset. Injuries are apart of the game. These two especially need to prepare like they are one play away from big minutes. If you prepare correctly you won't have to get ready.