Hawks continue workouts June 17th

Hawksman

Group of Six Work Out on Tuesday

The evaluation process continued as six draft prospects visited Philips Arena to work out for the Hawks scouting staff on June 17. A solid group including the likes of first-team All-America Josh Howard, Dahntay Jones, Marquis Daniels, Aleksander Pavlovic, Carl English and David Brkic, the six forwards and swingmen were put through a variety of skill and endurance drills. The Hawks will pick at No. 21 and No. 37 in NBA Draft 2003, coming on Thursday, June 26.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brkic

David Brkic, 6-10, 200, Forward, Italy

How was the workout today?

"Today it was good. It’s my third day in America, I’ve never been before. I like how everything works here in the states. It was a good day."

What has your workout schedule been like and do you have any more coming up?

"I’ve worked out one day with the Heat and now with the Hawks, it’s been a good experience for me. I’m leaving today for Toronto and then going to Indiana. I may workout in Memphis but I don’t know yet. Then I go back to Italy on Sunday."

Is there an NBA player who you pattern your game after?

"I like Dirk Nowitzki. I want to be just like him in the future – a tall three-man, small forward who can shoot, run the floor. Nowitzki is like an idol for me, I really look up to him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniels

Marquis Daniels, 6-6, 200, Guard, Auburn

How did today's workout go?

"The workout went great. Everyone came out and competed hard. It felt good competing against different guys from different conferences and just measuring up your talent."

How many workouts have you had?

"This was my eighth right here."

What are your strengths, and what are you trying to show teams that you work out for?

"I shoot the ball better than a lot of people thought I could. My experience is more with penetrating and getting and creating open shots for other players as well as myself."

What could you bring to an NBA roster?

"I can do a lot of different things. Even at my height, I can play point guard. I can also play off-guard and small forward. I can bring a lot of versatility to a team. A lot of teams need different things so it's hard to say."

English

Carl English, 6-5, 205, Guard, Hawaii

How did today's workout go?

"It went pretty well. I didn't shoot the ball as well as I had in the last few workouts I've had. Overall, I felt good. I thought it was interesting. This is my third workout. I have Orlando tomorrow, Toronto on Thursday, L.A. on Saturday."

Can you compare today's workout to your others?

"They're all pretty similar. You do some shooting drills, play some one on one., two on two, some basic defensive drills. It's just a matter of if you're fresh or if the travel is catching up on you. How you slept. That all impacts how you play the next day."

What are your strengths, and one characteristic that teams are finding out about at your workouts?

"Most of them know I can shoot. But I'm showing I can handle the ball well through picks, and I can find people as well. I'm going to give you 110 percent. I play hard, extremely hard every time. I'm very competitive. I just have to show them those aspects and hopefully they like me."

Have you thought or dreamed about being the first NBA player from Newfoundland?

"It's crossed my mind. I'm just hear trying to focus on what I need to do, and hopefully that will work out in the end."

Jones

Dahntay Jones, 6-6, 210, Guard/Forward, Duke

How did the workout go today?

"It went well today, the guys were out there really competing. It was good to go against some stiff competition and I had a good time."

How do you think your individual workout went?

"I think I did alright, I showed them what I could do."

Anything unexpected out there?

"It was pretty standard. It was a good workout, a good time."

Have you worked out with any other teams so far and do you have more set up in the future?

"Yeah, I’ve done eight or nine workouts already. I still have six to go, heading to New Jersey next. I’ve been a busy man.

Is there anyone in the NBA who you pattern your game after?

"I would say Doug Christie. He’s athletic, he scores, defends and plays with a lot of energy."