Peachtree Hoops: Game Recap: Shorthanded Atlanta Hawks Fall to Pistons 94-85

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers
Atlanta Hawks guard Jordan Crawford (55) drives against Detroit Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince (22) in the first half of an NBA basketball game Monday Oct. 11, 2010, in Auburn Hills, Mich. (AP Photo/Duane Burleson)

More photos » Duane Burleson - AP

about 18 hours ago: Atlanta Hawks guard Jordan Crawford (55) drives against Detroit Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince (22) in the first half of an NBA basketball game Monday Oct. 11, 2010, in Auburn Hills, Mich. (AP Photo/Duane Burleson)

Hawks vs Pistons coverage

Hawks vs Pistons recap

Hawks vs Pistons boxscore

It is really hard for me to recap a game that I listened to on the radio and didn't have the opportunity to watch. With that in mind, I am going to try and put a few things in context while also pointing out a few things that I heard while listening to the broadcast and while looking over the box score. MC has two much more detailed recap posts available over at the AJC which you can look at by clicking here and here. It is hard and almost unfair to draw a lot of conclusions from last night's game due to the mismatch of players that Coach Drew was forced to put in the lineup. I won't insult you guys and tell you that I am not a little bit concerned by the results of exhibition games but the Hawks had some long odds working against them last night. 

If injuries are the biggest concern after two exhibition games, then turnovers has to be in the number two position. The Hawks turned the ball over 21 times against the Pistons with 9 of those coming in the first quarter which enabled the Pistons to build a ten point lead. 

When the Hawks took care of the basketball they were pretty efficient. The totaled 22 assists as a team on 30 FG's made. 

The Pistons Rodney Stuckey (16 pts) and Will Bynum (9 pts) attacked Bibby relentlessly at every opportunity. That isn't a terrible surprise and should be expected. That makes Teague's role this season that much bigger in my opinion. 

For the second pre season game in a row, Al Horford didn't play in the second half due to a sore ankle. He scored 11 points on 3-5 shooting and bounced back at the free throw line (5-6) after struggling in the game against Memphis. 

Joe Johnson shot the team back into the game in the second quarter. After turning the ball over 4 times in the first, Johnson looked for his shot more and the results were outstanding. For the game he finished with 19 points on 7-10 shooting including 3-3 from deep in just over 28 minutes of action. 

Jordan Crawford played a whopping 46 minutes scoring 20 points on 7-17 shooting. He also had 7 assists to go along with 3 turnovers. Crawford played a lot of SG as well as spending time at the point. Sounded like he handled himself pretty well.

The three roster hopefuls Evan Brock (18 minutes), Richard Delk (15 minutes), and Ricardo Marsh (12 minutes) were pressed into action due to the mounting Hawks injuries. Will be interesting to see if any of these three end up with the Hawks D-League Affiliate the Utah Flash.

With six players staying behind in Atlanta due to injury, I thought of the Detroit and Washington back to back games as throw a way games. Sure you would like to win them but at the end of the day the goal is to get some work in and escape further injuries. Especially when you factor in that in addition to those six players in Atlanta, Horford is playing about a half a game a night and Josh Smith is playing with a glove on his hand.

The boys are back in action tonight against the Wizards in what will be our first look at number one overall selection John Wall.  

di
di

View the full article