AJC: Noah out, Magic slumping . . . or why it's good to be in the East

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers
Shockingly, that hair was not the worst news for Joakim Noah tonight. (AP photo)

Shockingly, that hair was not the worst news for Joakim Noah tonight. (AP photo)

BostonLinks from around the Association . . .

When Al signed a contract extension with the Hawks that was nearly identical to the one signed by his Florida teammate and friend Joakim Noah, I figured that was about right.

They are comparable players with nearly identical win shares per 48 minutes. Al is the superior offensive player. Noah (probably) is a better post defender, though Al’s defensive versatility can’t be discounted. The areas in which I thought Al had the advantage over Noah were age (he’s more than a full year younger) and durability.

Noah missed 18 games last season with plantar fasciitis in his left foot, which has to be a concern for a big man. Now comes word that he will have thumb surgery and miss up to 10 weeks:

“It sucks,” Noah said. “It’s not what I want. But I have to get back to playing at a high level. I’m tired of taking anti-inflammatory (pills) every time I play. I’m …

View the full article