• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peachtree Hoops: Atlanta Hawks Radio Announcer Steve Holman Inducted Into Georgia Radio Museum And Hall Of Fame

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

Steve Holman

Veteran Atlanta Hawks radio announcer, "The Voice of the Hawks" Steve Holman was honored last Saturday night with a "Career Achievement Award" into the Georgia Radio Museum and Hall of Fame. Over the last two decades, many things have changed with the Atlanta Hawks. The uniforms, the logo, coaches and players but one thing remained constant and that is Holman's voice bringing the game to us over the radio waves as if we were sitting courtside. 

"It's a tremendous honor to be voted into the Georgia Radio Hall of Fame by my peers, and to be included with the great professionals that are already members," said Holman. "It's been a privilege to work in the Georgia radio industry for over three decades, and to bring Hawks games to our wonderful fans for the last 26 years. The Hawks and the NBA are my family, so they all share in this honor. I'm truly living my dream, and I hope, as Todd Rundgren says, ‘the dream goes on forever.'"

Continued after the jump

Holman is preparing to enter his 27th season of Hawks basketball and will continue his consecutive games streak of 1890 straight broadcasts. Steve got his start in broadcasting in the 1970's working as the broadcast assistant to legendary Boston Celtics announcer Johnny Most. During a game in 1975, Most lost his voice and Holman stepped in and began what has become a legendary career.

Holman relocated to Atlanta in 1980 and began doing play-by-play and color commentary for Hawks broadcasts in 1985. He took over full-time in 1989. 

One of the many thrills I have enjoyed as a writer at Peachtree Hoops was meeting Steve Holman at Hawks media day and talking with him about Hawks basketball and the NBA during many of my trips to Philips Arena. Most recently, Holman announced the media 4-on-4 tournament that myself and Jason Walker participated in. Even as I was the subject of good natured ribbing from Holman, it was a surreal experience to hear him call out my name after scoring a basket while wearing a Hawks uniform. 

On behalf of the Peachtree Hoops family, we would like to congratulate Steve on his induction and we can't wait to be listening to him behind the mic once again. 

di
di

View the full article