• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

As this season winds down, planning for the future

Gray Mule

Quin has had a few games with all the troops.  He's not a stranger to the NBA.  Our front office has moved to improve our Hawks, adding Bey recently.  There will be a new set of assistant coaches after this season.  Quin may keep one or two of the ones here now.

Who will be our starting five when we open next season?  Who will we draft?  Which present day Hawk will be traded?  Being a middle of the road team has to mean that nothing is set in stone.  Changes, large or small, are sure to come.

We all have our own thoughts about who will stay and who will go.  Should be an exciting summer, this 2023!

:smug:

• Like 1

What I think will happen...

Hawks trade Capela and Collins for Ayton and filler.  Resign Bey. They go all in on offense.

What I want to happen...

Resign Bey and run it back with this team until Quin, his system, and his assistants, and an off-season/training camp are all in place. Then reevaluate and make any applicable moves at the trade deadline.

1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

Hawks trade Capela and Collins for Ayton and filler.  Resign Bey. They go all in on offense.

What I want to happen...

Resign Bey and run it back with this team until Quin, his system, and his assistants, and an off-season/training camp are all in place. Then reevaluate and make any applicable moves at the trade deadline.

I think I like your scenario 2 but there's one issue.  I think Collins might be a bit checked out.  Seeing some bad body language when he doesn't get the ball for a while.  Granted, in some situations, he should be getting the ball more.  But that's on Snyder to fix.  If he can get that together, then I'm all good with runninitbak. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Resign Bey......

He has 1 year left before he hits RFAcy, so we don't have to do anything this offseason. He is eligible for an early extention this offseason though.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

......run it back with this team until Quin, his system, and his assistants, and an off-season/training camp are all in place. Then reevaluate and make any applicable moves at the trade deadline.

I don't see how we just 'run it back' even with Quin's new system. Sounds good in theory but we need an infusion of 'something'. 

If the team had performed better in general after the Quin takeover. I could see just running it back.

The biggest elephant is the looming Luxury Tax and if TR will willingly exceed the tax.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LongTimeFan said:

What I want to happen...

Run it back? 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.41e59332516a74416693dd093eb61f96.jpg

download.jpg.999545821513609532146e93898d1812.jpg

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

What I want to happen...

Ayton might win a ring this season.. Shouldve made that move when/if we had the chance.. 

And where does JC fit on a team with KD? 

• Like 1

I'm not interested in running it back. Even when healthy this team has issues. 

I think 2 of Dre/JC/Cap should be moved this offseason before they either get more upset or decline further, affecting their trade value. 

I like the defensive energy DJ has brought. But if it takes him to get say a Jaylen Brown, I'd do it. I'm not sure if he and Trae are a good influence on each other. They seem to get each other caught up in antics. 

• Thanks 1

Hawks trade Capela and Collins for Ayton and filler.  

I assume this replaces Capela with Ayton.  Question:  Can Ayton make his free throws?  Everyone knows how this old man feels about free throws.  Four missed free throws in regulation last night cost us the game.

:ahf:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He has 1 year left before he hits RFAcy, so we don't have to do anything this offseason. He is eligible for an early extention this offseason though.

"we dont have to do anything this offseason"

Never stopped us before..

You get an extension......................................

You get an extension.......................................

oprah-you.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, Gray Mule said:

I assume this replaces Capela with Ayton.  Question:  Can Ayton make his free throws?  Everyone knows how this old man feels about free throws.  Four missed free throws in regulation last night cost us the game.

:ahf:

Ayton has been, is, and will always be a better free throw shooter than Clint. He also has a jumper. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, warcore said:

I'm not interested in running it back. Even when healthy this team has issues. 

I think 2 of Dre/JC/Cap should be moved this offseason before they either get more upset or decline further, affecting their trade value. 

I like the defensive energy DJ has brought. But if it takes him to get say a Jaylen Brown, I'd do it. I'm not sure if he and Trae are a good influence on each other. They seem to get each other caught up in antics. 

You're quoting my posts man... lol

Cant believe fans actually want to watch this same MID ass team again next season.. Wow

Atlanta fans are so nice.. Geez..

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Y'all see something in DJ that I just don't see.  He can't play with Trae and when asked to run the offense, It just one on one city.  Don't get me started on his terrible defense.  Capela has to go period.  This team needs a real defensive center.  By the way, it is just ludicrous to think you can win in the playoffs without defense. History does not support such a plan.  Plus Trae isn't an all time great on offense anyway and neither is anyone else on the offense so how in the world do you think the Hawks will create enough offense without those kinds of players?

TERRELL:  My dad told me many, many years ago - "Blessed is he who expects nothing for he shall not be dissapointed!"

I gotta believe that moves are coming to Atlanta.  I expect things to happen!  Free agency after the playoffs are completed, the draft and the opening of the trade season.  Yes, and the changing of the assistant coaches.

Something good must come out of all this!  

Now (just kidding) if this Hawk team goes into the playoffs and makes a hugh splash, rethink everything!

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all see something in DJ that I just don't see.  He can't play with Trae and when asked to run the offense, It just one on one city.  Don't get me started on his terrible defense.  Capela has to go period.  This team needs a real defensive center.  By the way, it is just ludicrous to think you can win in the playoffs without defense. History does not support such a plan.  Plus Trae isn't an all time great on offense anyway and neither is anyone else on the offense so how in the world do you think the Hawks will create enough offense without those kinds of players?

You think we should just contract the team then?  Dang, Peo, do we have anything good in your eyes?

I don't disagree on Murray.  We should use him to get a true upgrade.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

No @kg01  I am one of the few who thinks our team has a lot of talent.  We just suffer in a few areas and with the strategy over all.  This team has enough offense and could get more out of it if the ball didn't stick as much.  Where we suffer is paint protection.  Capela is below average as a paint protector and is absolutely terrible in pick and roll defense and one on one defense.  We won't even talk about his offense and free throws...Time for a change.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, warcore said:

Agreed. I think we blew an opportunity for Ayton. 

A SnT last offseason would have been very difficult just because of the rules the limited how much salary Suns cpuld take back. A trade this offseason is a little easier.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

No @kg01  I am the one of the few who thinks our team has a lot of talent.  We just suffer in a few areas and with the strategy over all.  This team has enough offense and could get more out of it if the ball didn't stick as much.  Where we suffer is paint protection.  Capela is below average as a paint protector and is absolutely terrible in pick and roll defense and one on one defense.  We won't even talk about his offense and free throws...Time for a change.

Paint protection has to work in conjunction with limiting penetration from the perimeter first.

CC's defense in general has tailed off and his offense is what it is.

• Premium Member

Capela's value is defense and if he can't play play at least above average defense then he has no value to the team.  Same with a Trae Young with below average offense...He would have no value either especially at his salary