• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Speedy and cap relief

koncak

• Moderators

Quote:

So it is 2 years after all then or at least it was for the example Coon gave. Then why the hell did he say it was one when it is two. I wish Speedy would get a heart transplant cause that is what he really need.

No. It is one year under the current collective bargaining agreement.

Under the former CBA that was in place in 2003 when Longley came off the books and we traded for Terrell Brandon, it was two years. The Longley example is used to show the impact on the cap, not the procedures under the current CBA.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Still the example that Coon gives is from 2002-2003 which is about the time the Brandon deal was done. So why would the Twolves have had to wait 2 years after Brandon stoped playing to get cap relief when that link says the Knicks only had to wait one year. I would assume both the Brandon cap relief and Longley cap relief came under the same cba since they werent that far apart from each other. What I want to know is would we have to wait one or two years if Speedy got a doctors note today that said he was done. Remember even if the rule has changed about trading injured players that has nothing to do with the Longley example since its from 2002-2003. The Brandon trade happened in the summer of 2003. We got the cap relief in Feb of 2004 which is when the Twolves were expecting it if they had kept him. Brandon last played in Feb of 2002, they had to wait 2 years for him to be off their cap.

Longley was under the same CBA. Longley last played in the 2000-01 season. Two years, same as with Longley.

AHF, help. I'm not up to speed on any of this, and you're usually good about getting to the point.

In layman's terms, what are reasonable expectations of the best case (middle case if neccessary) and worst case scenarios involving Speedy - ASSUMING that he isn't healthy at any point this season.

Best case is that the NBA doctor visits, declares him unfit to play and he retires. Under that scenario, his salary comes off the cap and he still gets paid (with insurance kicking in most of that money).

Worst case scenario is he drags this out like Grant Hill did in Orlando and refuses to retire and we just end up eating his contract for the next few years. The same thing happens if he is willing to retire but the NBA won't declare him unfit to play.

Many thanks. What would get the NBA doc involved in the first place? Would we have to request that?