• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The REAL question for the Hawk's future......

Dukegotgame

is if the Hawk's front office is content with just making the playoffs or building a championship team. we could very easily add some stopgap players this off season that could make us say a 6th seed in the Eastern Confernce, but we taking a couple of mediorce players as a stopgap would set this franchise back 2-3 years if they hope to win a championship.

it seems to me the hawks are too caught up on JUST making the playoffs. I mean in the interviews all they ever talk about is just making a run for the playoffs, nothing more.

I think we need to avoid the temptation to trade for a player like Eddie Jones or sign some average player to another bad contract, just to put some fans in the seats. We need to identify the players we want build this franchise around after this upcoming season, when we can get our bad contract's off the books. Yes we have some good players, however none of them are superstars. IF we can lure a KG or Kobe type player, we will have to be able to have cap space along with making the playoffs next year. As you have seen, you cannot win a title without a star and the 04-05 FA is prob. our best chance to bring in a superstar... but it seems to me that our team wants to be the team of the mid 90's..... a 2nd round exit each year instead of just waiting a year and building a dynasty.

I've never understood that logic of 'just making the playoffs' because you'd think the goal of every sports franchise (or any organization) is to be the best - which in sports equates to winning championships. I think if this is the goal of the new ownership then I'm perfectly willing to be patient while we build a championship team.

The thing about that 'just making the playoffs' mentality is that it leads to bad trades (Big Dog), forces poor draft decisions (selecting a less talented guy who can help now as opposed to a player with a bigger upside), and hinders the development of young players.

In the NBA, you need francshise players to win a championship and we all know that these guys are hard to find. Just as we know that the current Hawks roster has very little in the way of championship quality talent.

Yes, we have some good (but not great) players that most of us seem to overrate. Some might think that we're a player (like a big guard with handles) away from being competitive but the reality to me is that we have a bad team that needs a major infusion in talent.

So I'm hoping that the new ownership team comes in with their eyes on a championship and will implement a plan to make this happen.