• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Sacramento Kings Draft Pick Watch

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Pick Details:

2024 first round draft pick from Sacramento
Sacramento's 1st round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 1-14 in 2024, 1-12 in 2025 and 1-10 in 2026; if Sacramento has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Atlanta by 2026, then Sacramento will instead convey its 2026 2nd round pick and 2027 2nd round pick to Atlanta [Atlanta-Sacramento, 7/6/2022]

Do we want the pick this year or next year?

• Like 1

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

In an ideal world, you'd want it to convey in 2025 since we don't have a pick, but I don't trust the Kings 😄

Definitely worried they could pull a Dallas Mavericks type of move and tank their season, but I don't think they will.  They just became somewhat relevant for the first time in 10+ years.  20+ years?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Currently 8th out west.

If the standings hold, they have to play some combination of one or two games vs Mavs, Lakers, Warriors in the playin to get a playoff spot. And Fox is battling some kind of shoulder injury. 5-5 in their last 10 games.

Screenshot_20240222_100341_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 11/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

In an ideal world, you'd want it to convey in 2025 since we don't have a pick, but I don't trust the Kings 😄

I'm concerned that if the pick doesn't convey this year, it won't convey as a 1st over the next 2 years. I still don't trust the Kings. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm concerned that if the pick doesn't convey this year, it won't convey as a 1st over the next 2 years. I still don't trust the Kings. 

Wait if they get in the playoffs we get their pick right? So even in the tourney they have to secure 7th or 8th for us to get that pick this year?

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I still don't trust the Kings. 

Well they won’t have Barnes and that’s concerning as well. 😐 

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wait if they get in the playoffs we get their pick right? So even in the tourney they have to secure 7th or 8th for us to get that pick this year?

Yes. If they are in the playoffs, we get the pick.

• Like 2

• Moderators

This is part of the problem with trading for future protected picks.  We traded Kevin Huerter to the Kings in July of 2022.  We may not see any help on the floor from that trade for like 4 years after the trade.  (Example:  If we get a 2025 pick and get Kobe Bufkin 2.0, that player won't meaningfully help on the floor until 2026 at best.)  That is a long time to wait for help after losing an important player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is part of the problem with trading for future protected picks.  We traded Kevin Huerter to the Kings in July of 2022.  We may not see any help on the floor from that trade for like 4 years after the trade.  (Example:  If we get a 2025 pick and get Kobe Bufkin 2.0, that player won't meaningfully help on the floor until 2026 at best.)  That is a long time to wait for help after losing an important player.

Exactly.

At the time/timing of the trade, I said it only made oncourt sense if we made the trade to get under the tax so that we gained more flexibility in trades as an under the tax team (like have the MLE, take back more salary, etc) and we used the pick in a trade to upgrade the team. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 7:35 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Do we want the pick this year or next year?

I usually used to play the waiting game until my friend’s dad said something that clicked and rang a bell 🔔 internally..

If you get that check 💰… CASH THAT BABY IN ASAP!!!! Don’t even wait a minute who knows what tomorrow holds AND.. as you mentioned, you don’t trust the Kings, and equally importantly :huh: I DON’T TRUST THE KINGS. They could fall right off again into the top 10 the next couple years. 

CASH THAT BABY IN 2024!!!!

IMG_3730.jpeg

IMG_3731.jpeg

IMG_3732.jpeg

They host the Knicks tonight. Kings fav by 3.5!!!!! 🥳 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 9:01 AM, shakes said:

will be much better drafts.

That the Kings would select from….

:deke: Your answer is wrong 😑… very… very… wrong 😑. If it was any more wrong 😑 they would allow me to use the word wronger. :mellow:

You got a check in your paws 🐾 you cash 💰 that sucker in NOW!!!! RIGHT NEAAAAAAAAAAWWWW!!!! 

• Moderators

This is a classic one in the hand, two in the bush scenario.  If the pick conveys this year we are guaranteed a first round pick from the Kings.  If it doesn’t, we could get a first round pick in a stronger draft as the best case or it might never convey in the worst case.  Much more uncertainty.  

I lean towards rooting for it to convey this year for two reasons:

1) We should be aspiring to make one or more major trades this offseason and for some teams a certain first round pick will be more highly valued (if the Kings miss the playoffs this year and the pick goes away if the Kings don’t make it next year how much confidence can any team have?); and 

2) we have plenty of “open” roster spots for promising rookies to take and while the top of this draft is weak the depth seems interesting and this pick will always be a “depth” pick (ie it will never matter how good the lottery picks are for assessing what we can get from it unless we are trading into the lottery with it).

• Like 3