• Raised $390 of $700 target

Johnson Wins Another Award

Vesper

Quote:

AJC article

NBA.com

Quote:

Joe Johnson, Kobe Bryant Named Players of the Week

NEW YORK, April 7, 2008 – The Atlanta Hawks’ Joe Johnson and the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, March 31, through Sunday, April 6.

Johnson led the Hawks to a 3-1 week, which included wins over two playoff-bound Eastern Conference foes, Philadelphia and Toronto. Johnson averaged 25.3 points on .556 shooting from the field, 8.3 assists and 5.5 rebounds. Johnson also shot .455 from distance. For the season, Johnson is Atlanta’s leader in scoring, assists, free-throw percentage, three-point percentage and three-point field goals made.

Bryant helped the Lakers to a 3-0 week, which included wins over the Trail Blazers, Mavericks and Kings. For the week, Bryant averaged 30.0 points, 9.3 rebounds and 6.0 assists while shooting a scorching .688 from three-point range (11-of-17). The Lakers are tied with San Antonio for the second best record in the Western Conference (53-24).

Here is a recap of the week for Johnson and Bryant:

Joe Johnson, Atlanta Hawks

March 31 @ Memphis: Recorded 19 points and eight assists in a 116-99 win over the Grizzlies.

April 2 vs. Toronto: Tallied 28 points, 11 assists and seven rebounds in a 127-120 win over the Raptors.

April 4 vs. Philadelphia: Posted 32 points, eight assists and six rebounds in a 109-104 loss to the 76ers.

April 5 @ Philadelphia: Scored 22 points and added eight rebounds and six assists in a 92-85 win over the 76ers.

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

April 2 vs. Portland: Poured in 36 points and added 13 rebounds, seven assists and three steals in a 104-91 win over the Trail Blazers.

April 4 vs. Dallas: Tallied 25 points, 10 rebounds and six assists in a 112-108 win over the Mavericks.

April 6 @ Sacramento: Posted 29 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals in a 114-92 win over the Kings.

Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki, Detroit’s Rodney Stuckey, New Orleans’ Chris Paul, Philadelphia’s Andre Iguodala, Sacramento’s Kevin Martin, Toronto’s Rasho Nesterovic and Utah’s Deron Williams.

Funny what happens when a guy gets healthy and you give him a little veteran help huh? He is back to being the JJ I knew he could be and right on time!

Also, it is good to have Marvin back as well. He has quietly been playing at the same level he was playing at to start the season since early March. His scoring (and minutes) are down a LITTLE but that is due to the fact that Bibby is scoring a lot more than our PGs did before and due to the fact that Chillz is playing much better than he did to start the season.

Quote:

Funny what happens when a guy gets healthy and you give him a little veteran help huh? He is back to being the JJ I knew he could be and right on time!

Also, it is good to have Marvin back as well. He has quietly been playing at the same level he was playing at to start the season since early March. His scoring (and minutes) are down a LITTLE but that is due to the fact that Bibby is scoring a lot more than our PGs did before and due to the fact that Chillz is playing much better than he did to start the season.

I couldn't believe the way people were throwing JJ under the bus after the way he played last year. Did people think he forgot how to play in one year? shrug.gif

In the two games against Philly Marvin had 37 pts shooting 63%, and was 13/14 from the line. Philly is a tough defensive team and it was nice to see Marvin step up when we needed it.

Quote:

I thought he played hard, smart and well in both games. Actually, I thought both he and Smoove were very good in both games. That is some impressive stuff from a 21 yr old and a 22 yr old.

Seems like there's been a correlation between the team's good stretches and Marvin's good stretches. I wonder if Marvin plays better when the team plays better, or if the team plays better because Marvin's playing better.

Probably some of both. Either way, it's a lot more fun to watch when we're winning games and he's giving us what we need.