Hawks top Celts, 89-80

Hawksman

The Hawks summer league team topped the host team Celtics, 89-80, on Saturday at UMass-Boston, improving to 3-2 with just one contest left. The Hawks' bench was outstanding, notching 60 of the team's 89 points, led by Charles Smith's 16.

Boston ran out to a 7-0 lead, and the Hawks didn't score until a Tahj Holden layup with 7:24 left in the first quarter. Atlanta slowly fought its way back, eventually taking a 21-19 lead at the end of one. The Hawks' Elton Tyler took two first quarter charges to help swing the momentum. The Celtics' Lenny Cooke, a former New York high school phenom, received a standing ovation upon entering the contest with 3:16 left in the first.

Atlanta led throughout the second, extending the lead to seven by the half (41-34). Boris Diaw brought the crowd to its feet with a thundering reverse dunk at the 1:34 mark, then Tommy Adams stole the inbounds pass and dropped in a quick layup. However, the Hawks had reason to be concerned as shot blocking forward Jerry Holman entered the second half with four fouls.

The Hawks kept the Celts at arm's length throughout the third, until late in the period when they scored the final six points to come within 57-53.

But the fourth quarter belonged to Chris Porter (12 points) and Adams (10 points), who carried the Hawks' offensively in the period to the nine-point win. Cooke scored eight of his 10 in the fourth as well.

"The bench saved us tonight," said Hawks assistant coach and summer league head coach Alex English. "The first team played well too, but the bench really came in and gave us a lift - Elton Tyler, Charles Smith, Chris Porter and Tommy Adams."

Adams finished with 15, while Porter totalled 14 for the contest. Holman grabbed nine rebounds in his 20 foul-plagued minutes. Marcus Banks led the Celtics with a game-high 18 points, and Brandon Hunter followed with 16. Kornel David (12) also scored in double figures.

I wish that we could offer Brandon Hunter a contract. That kid is a monster. I think the Celts are already working on a contract for him though.

Its going to be interesting to see which summer league guys make it from our team. I am hoping for Benjamin and either Holman or Holden. I just dont see Adams or Porter being NBA caliber players. Not too sure on Charles Smith yet, but he does look like he may have a chance.