• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What would be the backup plan if Smoove leaves

tmac13

I am curious what the board thinks the Hawks will do if Smoove gets an offer the Hawks feel they can't match? Would they simply resign Chillz and move Marvin to the 4? Would they try to go the cheap route and just sign a guy like Kwame Brown and shift Horford to the 4? Would they trade the expiring contract of Bibby to fill a couple of needs? Maybe Biiby to the Knicks for Crawford and Curry( which I am sure the Knicks might jump at since D'Antoni needs a real point to run his offense and it would free the Knicks of 2 large deals). Before I get mugged I am not proposing that just throwing out options. Thoughts?

• Premium Member

I see 4 things that will happen.

The Hawks will resign Childress.

The Hawks will move Marvin/Speedy for Gerald Wallace.

The Hawks will sign a couple of Centers: Morris/Brown.

We would probably line up with:

Bibs/JJ/Wallace/Horf/Brown.

to start.

Honestly, we probably would not be so bad. Our PPG will go way down... but defensively we'd be better with Brown and Wallace. Wallace does know how to defend man to man.

Offensively however, we will struggle some. JJ and Bibs have no problems shooting, but we would get very little scoring from the frontcourt. UNLESS Wallace is allowed to take people off the dribble and learns to kick out.

I wonder have some ppl on this board thought about not only is J-Smoove is still raw. He doesn't stay hurt. I think that is very important. We need to be careful for what we are asking for. Well, I'm sure most of you know where I stand on losing J-Smoove and J-Chill. KEEP THEM!!! It's is also hard to find a very nice 6man like J-Chill. I think we take 6 man for granted. As you can see with all the looks J-Chill is getting on the market. BK told us about this all the time, "that they are always getting request from teams about trading for Chill" KEEP THEM!!!

• Premium Member

Quote:

to start.

Honestly, we probably would not be so bad. Our PPG will go way down... but defensively we'd be better with Brown and Wallace. Wallace does know how to defend man to man.

Offensively however, we will struggle some. JJ and Bibs have no problems shooting, but we would get very little scoring from the frontcourt. UNLESS Wallace is allowed to take people off the dribble and learns to kick out.

I'd substitute point #2 with signing Jarvis Hayes and/or Mickeal P. from GS. This would give the team a stronger 2nd unit. It could look like this:

Law/Childress/Hayes/Morris/Zaza

with 2 out of Speedy/Richardson/Jones as 11 & 12.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

to start.

I'd substitute point #2 with signing Jarvis Hayes and/or Mickeal P. from GS. This would give the team a stronger 2nd unit. It could look like this:

If we lose smith, we're going to have to make up that transition defense. The other thing is the only way we can get players is by trade.. we don't have capspace to go after free agents. Not really. Not until Chillz is signed and we can use our MLE. I would rather use that on Brown after getting that transition defender by trade. I think Mickeal P. would be a good pickup in a SNT but we'd have to see his price.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

to start.

If we lose smith, we're going to have to make up that transition defense. The other thing is the only way we can get players is by trade.. we don't have capspace to go after free agents. Not really. Not until Chillz is signed and we can use our MLE. I would rather use that on Brown after getting that transition defender by trade. I think Mickeal P. would be a good pickup in a SNT but we'd have to see his price.

Good point! In my scenario, Brown would help improve interior defense which 'could' result in a lower shooting percentage for opponents (less layups and putbacks). Brown with Hayes or Mickeal P. could easier surpass the offense output provided by Smith with along strengthening the 2nd unit. If we can reduce JJ's minutes without losing offensive output, it makes him fresher for the end of the season.

Quote:

Honestly, we probably would not be so bad.

This is the attitude that kills us! I want to be a helluva lot more than "not so bad"! We've gained a little respect and if we settle for this mediocrity we will return to the same freakin' things we were looked down up for all these years.

these headlines make the FA period more and more unpredictable:

Chris Duhon has agreed to a deal with the Knicks, according to Sporting News

... Warriors have reached out to Corey Maggette

... Heat and Cavs very interested in Monta Ellis

... Nets target Andres Nocioni .

.. Anthony Johnson an option for the Nuggets?

... James Singleton to the Mavs

It could get really craZy.

Quote:

Don't think there is one really. I guess we'd go after Brown pretty hard and hope like hell that Marv and Horford make big jumps in their development.

If Smith does leave, I'd want to see Chil moved for a pick or two. We'd need more impact players and we wouldn't really be in contention for the playoffs for the upcoming season.

Quote:

I am curious what the board thinks the Hawks will do if Smoove gets an offer the Hawks feel they can't match? Would they simply resign Chillz and move Marvin to the 4? Would they try to go the cheap route and just sign a guy like Kwame Brown and shift Horford to the 4? Would they trade the expiring contract of Bibby to fill a couple of needs? Maybe Biiby to the Knicks for Crawford and Curry( which I am sure the Knicks might jump at since D'Antoni needs a real point to run his offense and it would free the Knicks of 2 large deals). Before I get mugged I am not proposing that just throwing out options. Thoughts?

If we lose Smoove it will be because a team was able to offer him 75 to 85 mill. and Sund thinks that is to much. I really do not think that will happen; but if it did we would resign Chilz no doubt.

Front line on the cheap would be:

Marv, ZaZa, and Horford

Chilz rotating as usual at the 2 and 3 spots

Fantasy world trade options are numerous; but it is obvious we would need a PF or Center to fill the void left by Smoove. If we were to lose Smoove to a max type contract, I am confident it would be a SNT deal that enables the other team to better absord the salary cap hit. Just to many options to mention without being specific on which team is getting Smoove.

In other words, the backup plan is a SNT with whatever team signs Smoove. Unless we know which team that is, there is no way of guessing what player(s) we will get...

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Don't think there is one really. I guess we'd go after Brown pretty hard and hope like hell that Marv and Horford make big jumps in their development.

If Smith does leave, I'd want to see Chil moved for a pick or two. We'd need more impact players and we wouldn't really be in contention for the playoffs for the upcoming season.

After thinking about it, I doubt we go after Brown that hard. I'm guessing that our MLE goes to Swift (if we use it.). And Swift would be the guy who Sund put his reputation on.

Quote:

to start.

Which Brown is this? P.J. Brown?