• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Criticism of the Woodster

jhay610

These are some great points and augment my position (and many others) that the Hawks' success to this point has been, for the most part, in spite of Woodson, not because of him.

I am of the opinion that Woody may well be the worst game-manager of any coach in the league. The man has no ability to react and adapt to game-specific conditions on the fly, which is a major part of a head coach's impact in a basketball game.

In an evenly- matched series (respective of talent levels) these types of things can make the difference:

Since they were easy to miss, here’s a compilation of my 4 comments about tonight’s game -

1) Where’s Mario?

2) Man. JJ bricks two free throws and Josh throws the ball into the seats on a breakaway. Clearly, clearly, clearly the focus wasn’t there tonight.

3) That being said, if the Heat can only win if they shoot 58% from deep and have JJ on the bench with foul trouble for the entire third quarter (and he had NO rhythm when he came back from that), then the Hawks definitely can bounce back.

4) And finally…Marvin goes on a tear in the 3rd and Woodson decides to bench him for the rest of the game? WTF??

To respond to your bit about JJ…this was the ultimate in Woody asking him to do too much and him breaking down. He actually guarded Wade pretty [dang] well in the first half. Most of Wade’s points when JJ was in the game came when either Flip or Mo was covering him; most of the rest came when Bibby switched onto him off a screen. But JJ eventually got into foul trouble. And Woody is so [darn] terrified of leaving a player with foul trouble in the game that he benched JJ for almost the entire third quarter. What the [HECK] is that about? Like most shooters, JJ needs a rhythm to be at his best. Benching him for a good 25 minutes of real time (even though it was just 9 minutes of game time) just iced him for the rest of the game. And then when JJ finally came back, it looked like Woody put him on Wade again while Flip guarded Cook (?!?).

He never tried putting Mario in to hassle Wade, even after it was clear that Mo and Flip were getting shredded and JJ was toiling and getting into foul trouble from having to chase Wade around screens.

And he benched Zaza right after he made a tough shot on one end and drew a charge on the other.

And here’s the worst one. The one that makes the absolute least amount of sense. He benched Marvin after Marvin scored 7 points in the quarter on 3-4 shooting and didn’t allow his man to score a single point for the entire quarter. Jones scored less than 1 minute after Marvin went to the bench, after Jones/Cook/Beasley had been held scoreless for the entire third period while Marvin was in. And Marvin was never seen for the rest of the game.

It makes no sense. None. NONE.

Pardon my French, but we are royally [screwed] if he can’t show the ability to make in-game adjustments, because the Heat WILL go on at least 1-2 runs every single game.

Edited by jhay610

I have been saying for years that Woody just doesn't have the ability to adapt on the fly. There is no reason why Marvin shouldn't have played more minutes and where was Mario. I mean it seems that Woody lacks common sense sometimes and just refuses to adjust. I called this before the preseason even started. That is why I don't think we could win a series. Woody is too easy to figure out and he doesn't adapt t what is happening around him. You see how the coach of Miami changed his lineup Woody would never do that!!! We need a new coach and when Miami beats us I hope that Sund realizes that it has been Woody all along!!!

Everyone wants to give Billy Knight props now but remember he wanted to fire Woody. Maybe old BK realized what we all know to be true about Woody!!!

Edited by Wurider05

Its sad but we already know Woody doesnt get a "feel" for the game or knows how to use the people he has on the bench. It happens most games. To true Hawk fans this is nothing new

I still think we need a new headcoach if we are to be taken seriously in this league and to move up a level, unless Woody takes a head coach class.

You know what he should do. He should start a twitter account or a facebook so we could send in suggestions and questions. Maybe noone is telling him the things we(fans) are talking about, even though i find that hard to believe.