• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jennings says Rubio overrated.... says he shut down Rubio

Brandon Jennings got a mouth on him...... Reminds me of another Cali PG, the glove. lol

LINK

NBA prospect Jennings says Rubio overrated

ShareThis

By Jason Jones

jejones@sacbee.com

Published: Saturday, Jun. 13, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 6C

If the Kings manage to draft Ricky Rubio, they must be prepared for the Spanish point guard to have a target on him.

When a player reportedly won't work out for teams and still is rated No. 1 at his position, other prospects take notice.

Though many point guards available in the 2009 NBA draft might be tired of hearing about Rubio's exploits, no one has called out Rubio like point guard Brandon Jennings. Jennings, a 19-year-old American, starred at Dominguez High School in Compton and Oak Hill Academy in Virginia. He played professionally in Italy this past season rather than attend college and is considered a lottery pick.

After a competitive predraft workout for the Kings that also featured Syracuse's Jonny Flynn and UCLA's Jrue Holiday, Jennings said he and many other point guard prospects are as good or better than Rubio.

"Well, put it like this – if he was in a workout with me, Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Stephen Curry, he wouldn't probably be at the top," Jennings said.

Flynn could only laugh as Jennings tore into Rubio. But most pundits have rated Rubio the top point guard for some time. That doesn't sit well with Jennings, who played against Rubio once last season.

"When I played him, he had zero points, two assists and two turnovers," Jennings said. "So you tell me how that went for him."

According to the Euro- league box score, Rubio actually had three assists and three turnovers in 8 minutes, 34 seconds. Rubio reportedly still was bothered by a wrist injury suffered during the Olympics. Jennings played 22:54 and finished with 12 points and two assists.

"I can shoot the ball better than he can," Jennings said. "The only time I've seen him do something is when he'll have a home run pass or something like that. I think the dude is all hype. I can't even (lie)."

Jennings, 6-foot-1 and 170 pounds, said he is a pass-first point guard with an improving jump shot. He said he could step in with the Kings and push the offensive tempo.

The competition during the portion of the workout open to the media was as competitive as any held previously by the Kings.

Jennings showed off his speed and quickness. So did the 20-year-old Flynn (6-0, 186), who dunked with relative ease during a drill. It was Holiday's second workout for the Kings.

"When you've got three of the best guards in the draft, you're automatically going to go hard," Flynn said. "We're all fighting for that top (point guard) spot, and it just brings out the best to go against guys like (Jennings) and Jrue."

If Rubio doesn't work out for the Kings, there's no way to know how he'd respond to the challenge Flynn, Jennings and Holiday faced Friday.

"I can't wait to play him in the (NBA) Summer League," Jennings said.

not really taking any sides here, but what has jennings accomplished? nothing much that i've seen. he didn't get considerable minutes in europe and his stats weren't too impressive either (at least not that i've seen). so he held an injured rubio to no points in 8.5 minutes. rubio still got 50% more assists than jennings in 1/3 of the time played. rubio did have a 1:1 asst/turnover ratio though. neither has been consistantly outstanding, jenning's just jealous of the attention rubio gets with his flashy game. i'm sure both guys could become great pg's in the league, but both have bust potential too. i hope they both do well and hold a professional grudge against each other over their long careers. stern would love some drama/storylines to add to the mix while promoting games.