• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Drew's first issue

Robdawg

I was on the AJC Hawks site a couple of minutes ago and they had a new article up about Larry Drew's first problem as a new head coach, what to do with JJ. Although Joe basically choked in that series vs. Orlando there is clear that the Hawks owner's want him back. The question is....1) would Joe come back? and 2) does Drew's hiring sway his decision at all? All in all I thought it was a pretty good read.

BTW: Larry Drew's first meeting with the press as Hawks head coach is today at 4

Linkage

Here are the three key questions regarding the Johnson-Drew dynamic:

1.) Does Drew want Johnson back? Answer: Probably yes.

Notwithstanding another disappointing postseason by Johnson — and his less-than-brilliant decision to give a verbal backhand to fans following a second-round, Game 3 loss to Orlando — he is the team’s leading scorer. That counts for something.

2.) Does Drew want Johnson back under any circumstances? Answer: Probably no.

Drew knows the oft-seen “Iso Joe” offense is limiting. He almost certainly would prefer more creativity in the half court. He needs to be certain Johnson is willing to give up the ball in certain situations and sets for the betterment of the team. This is a bit of an unknown because we don’t really know what Johnson’s desires are, nor what past problems are merely the result of design by former coach Mike Woodson.

3.) Does Drew’s hiring sway Johnson’s desires one way or the other? Answer: Probably no.

I still believe this will come down to money. If Johnson can make more by staying in Atlanta, he will. If there’s a chance he can make the same (via free agency or a sign-and-trade) with another team that he might have a desire to play for, he’ll go. As much as Johnson likes living in Atlanta, part of him no doubt is a little tired of getting the blame every time the Hawks come up short. I just don’t think Drew’s presence looms bigger than either one of those issues.