• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A more just Cap

ggp

I am a casual fan of the NBA. I prefer the team approach, so all of the star gazing is a turn off for me. Having said that, I'd like to ask what are the advantages to having a salary cap?

If it is to improve the competition between franchises, I really don't think that it is working. If it is to help owners keep employee costs down, I don't think that it is working. So, what is it for, and how can it be improved?

First of all, I think that the cap number should be based on take home pay for each player. As we have witnessed, the Miami Heat has a major competitive advantage over most other franchises because the state of Florida does not have income taxes. I think that the NBA should look into this and create a cap number for each team, based on its true economic value to each player. In that manner, players like LeBron, Wade, and Bosh will not be able to claim that they are taking less money, when in fact they are bringing home more. If such a rule were in place today, I doubt that all three players would have fit under an adjusted salary cap for the Heat.

If there are holes in my suggestion, let me know. I happen to think that a truly more competitive league is more entertaining.

Edited by ggp