• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peachtree Hoops: The Official (Pure Fantasy) Chris Paul Trade Thread

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers
Hawks fans, are you interested? Yeah, you know you are...so chime in on the Chris Paul Fantasy Trade Thread!

More photos » Bill Kostroun - AP

Hawks fans, are you interested? Yeah, you know you are...so chime in on the Chris Paul Fantasy Trade Thread!

You've heard the rumors. You may have even read my tweets. Now, as we have alluded to previously, we ask you once more the following questions:

Do you want to go after Paul?

What would you give up for Paul?

What do you think the Hornets would ask for Paul?

Should a deal for Paul come with a contingency on an extension to take him off the market?

Give a percentage number on what you think the chances the Hawks actually are able to make a trade for Chris Paul?

My answers to these questions after the jump. Chime in safely within the confines of the Comments Area!

Do you want to go after Paul?:

Absolutely. Point guard has long been a soft spot on the Hawks and this would actually take advantage of both the final quality years of Joe Johnson and the prime of one of the Hawks young bigs.

What would you give up for Paul?

I would trade Josh Smith, and whatever side piece they wanted in a deal for Paul. This would include Marvin Williams, Jamal Crawford's last year of a contract, and either of the young guards (Teague, JC2)

What do you think the Hornets would ask for Paul?

My long standing guess is that they will take this opportunity to try and unload Emaka Okafor's remaining 62+ million dollars in any deal for Paul, so that means that likely Smith plus Marvin or Jamal plus the two young guards would be in play to fill out the contract. 

Should a deal for Paul come with a contingency on an extension to take him off the market?

Absolutely. Not to invoke a painful piece of our history but, ummmmm, Danny Manning, anybody?!

Give a percentage number on what you think the chances the Hawks actually are able to make a trade for Chris Paul?

Given that we are reportedly not on the short list Paul has given as tasty destinations, (This despite "doing Joe Johnson right" and being the amazing city Atlanta is), which would theoretically hinder an extension conversation, it's a low number. 

But, from the Hornets perspective, there is a lot to like about what the Hawks could provide in a trade. You have a significant primary piece (Smith), young talent (Williams, Teague, Jordan Crawford), and good filler (Jamal Crawford, Mike Bibby). That, plus a possible reticence to use draft picks might mean enough sweetener to do a deal.

Given the complexities of the Paul end of it, though, and the financial restraints of the ASG (they would be paying Joe, Al, CP3, and Okafor significant guaranteed money over the next four years at least), I would put this at about 5 percent chance....solely based on the type of deal we can put together.

di
di

View the full article