• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peachtree Hoops: Josh Powell Signing Official, Jamal Crawford Seeks Contract Extension

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers
Josh Powell is the newest member of the Atlanta Hawks (AP Photo/Gus Ruelas)

More photos » Gus Ruelas - AP

Josh Powell is the newest member of the Atlanta Hawks (AP Photo/Gus Ruelas)

The Atlanta Hawks have sent out a press release stating that they have signed  Josh Powell to a contract. Per team policy, the terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Powell is a 6'9" 240lb forward/center who is coming over from the Los Angeles Lakers where he was on two Championship teams as a reserve. He averaged 3.4 points and 2.4 rebounds over his Laker career while shooting 40% from the field. The Riverdale Ga High School product seems genuinely excited to be playing for his home town team: 

"I look forward to joining a franchise I’m very familiar with," said Powell.  "The Hawks have done some great things over the past few years, and I think it’s great to come back home and play here.  They’ve enjoyed success in the East, and while they have room to improve and grow, the nucleus is here to make that next step.

"Obviously, I followed the Hawks quite a bit growing up, and the excitement during the Dominique (Wilkins) years was a great thing to watch.  We have to continue to get better and hopefully I can bring a little bit of what I’ve learned from my days with Lakers to the team."

This move brings the Hawks roster to 11 players just two short of the league minimum of 13. Both Shaquille O'Neal and Jason Collins have been rumored targets for the Hawks. 

Jamal Crawford seeks extension after the jump

In other Hawks related news ESPN.com is reporting that Sixth Man of the Year Jamal Crawford has requested a contract extension from the Hawks. The report also states that the Crawford made the request three weeks ago but the Hawks were focused on getting the Joe Johnson deal done. Talks with Crawford have not reached the serious stage at this point. 

I would think that it would be unlikely that the Hawks would get in serious contract discussions with Crawford without him being willing to take a serious discount. In all likelihood the Hawks will play out the season and see what the price is to bring back Al Horford who will be a restricted free agent following the season.

Crawford had arguably his best season in the NBA winning the Sixth Man of the Year Award while averaging 18 points per game on a career best 45% shooting. Still his 10 Million dollar expiring contract will be one of the most valuable trade chips that the Hawks will have this season. With Jordan Crawford waiting in the wings the team may choose to go in a different direction with Jamal.

di
di

View the full article