Hawks Please Watch the San Antonio Spurs

Highpozt2

This is a good thread!

I believe that most all NBA players have a pretty high basketball IQ -- when watching film, TV or when sitting on the bench. Afterall, they have all been exposed to and taught proper decision-making from the time they were very young. Most of us even have a pretty high basketball IQ ourselves when we are watching games.

But what is the difference between some players who bacically have the same level of athletic/basketball skills?

I think it's speed -- as in speed of recognizing the correct play and making the correct decision.

I think the correct play (and correct thought) are virtually simitaneous with the great players. Virtually no lag time. To almost see things happening in slow-motion. Whereas other players need that extra split/nano second (or longer) to recognize the correct play.

I'd bet that Smoove could sit next to any of us at a game and likely agree with our assessment of his decision-making. But we'd all have the luxury of that extra split-second or two that he doesn't have when he's on the court.

Whether this can be coached or taught? --- I'm leaning toward believing it would be quite difficult to teach.

CS